Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#34915 Apr 30th, 2007 at 05:57 PM
halek Offline OP
OP Offline
We live in East Tennessee, and this spring we had a spell of early warm weather. Unfortunately this was followed by almost a week of below freezing weather. My Japanese Maple had just completed leafing out when this frost hit. Just now, about three weeks later, the tree seems to be getting a second set of leaves.

I am wondering since the new leaves all seem to be sprouting from the older growth whether it would be advisable to prune off the small narrow branches which had contained the first set of leaves. I have a photo showing the current state of the tree which I could email to anyone.

I would greatly appreciate any advice, since I would be heartbroken if I lost this tree. Thanks!

halek #34917 Apr 30th, 2007 at 06:15 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Welcome to the forum, Halek! I am Thornius in Nashville, TN. THat freeze really knocked out my Mimosas and Mulberry Trees and they haven't recoverd yet. My Crepe Myrtles ar starting to leaf out again But from new shoots at the base of the old bushes. Surprisingly, my Cannas weren't affected at all and are doing nicely. I am the Wild bird man here, but do a lot of my gardening to attract various types of wildlife. I would just let your new Maple growth come out naturally and LATER trim the dead growth out.

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
Thornius #34973 Apr 30th, 2007 at 07:57 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Thorny, I'd love to get some grackles in the yard. What attracts them?

DeborahL #35000 Apr 30th, 2007 at 08:24 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Grackles like suet and water bowls. Grackles always seem hot to me. I have about 30 Common Grackles in my yard and they are always visiting my water dishes panting heavily with their mouths open.

Nevermore!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thornius #35014 Apr 30th, 2007 at 08:48 PM
just in case my first forum entry did get sent to the wrong place. I am new here have never gotten on the boards before. Sorry about my inexperience.

My Japanese maple, a green seedling, has taken on a black sootie appearance on the trunk along with some peach-colored splotches. The tree is also behind the other Japanese maples in leafing out. We, in Oregon, also had some late freeze resulting in some damage to other plants that had been doing well, until now. It has been nice for 4 days now, we had freezing weather just in the last two weeks. I do not want to lose this tree as I planted it just two years ago, and it wss from my father's nursery before he retired.

This was a weird winter in the NW corner of Oregon for me. I have roses that kept their leaves over the winter and into spring. Even the tree roses. Now, one of them is losing leaves. Can anyone help me?

suki #35198 May 1st, 2007 at 05:49 AM
Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
I also live in East Tennessee (Knoxville) and my Japanese Maples suffered the same fate as yours. They are just now starting to grow new leaves. As mentioned, I would wait until it's leafed out more and then cut off any dead wood at the tips. I'm finally seeing some signs of life in my Crape Myrtles...I was starting to think they may have died back to the ground. Still no green on my purple fringe tree though.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
alankhart #35524 May 1st, 2007 at 09:32 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
how heavy does the water dish have to be for the birds? I have plastic but it's really light. So I've always been afraid to put it out.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #35842 May 1st, 2007 at 04:34 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Tk, I use a blue Pyrex pie plate for my water dish. It's best to use a heavy dish, but you can use a lighter one and weigh it down with a decorative rock placed in the middle like an island. Like in my picture.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #35843 May 1st, 2007 at 04:35 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Halek, I checked today, and my Mulberry trees are sprouting back out, but it's probably too late for berries this year.

[Linked Image]

Thornius #35852 May 1st, 2007 at 05:15 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
Where do I get suet?

alankhart #36562 May 2nd, 2007 at 07:35 PM
halek Offline OP
OP Offline
We are in Tellico Village, so not far from Knoxville. With the last couple of warm days my tree looks much better than I thought it ever would. I used the vacuum attachment to my leaf blower to remove many of the dead leaves but after geting other input I will leave the tree alone until fall.

BTW DeborahL; You can get suet blocks at Walmart for about $1 each, but also get a hanger for them.

halek #37807 May 4th, 2007 at 06:44 PM
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
THE DOCTOR
1k Posts
Halek,

I would not do anything to your tree, just let nature take its course. If there is any dead wood, you can prune it out in the fall.

Suki,
That sounds like a mildew problem. It usually does not do any harm to the tree, and if it becomes unsightly you can wash it off using a light touch with a brush and water.

Deborah,

Sunflower seeds and cracked corn on the ground will also suck them in. I grew up with my mother banging on the window to chase them away, she thought they they were ugly, but I have always liked them myself.

Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
DeborahL #41030 May 9th, 2007 at 09:54 PM
Walmart sells suet cakes here in Texas. Check Lowe's too. Or make your own Peanut Butter Suet:

1 cup fresh ground suet
1 cup peanut butter
3 cups yellow corn meal
1/2 cup white or whole-wheat flour

Melt suet in a saucepan over low heat. Add peanut butter, stirring until melted and well blended. Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Allow the suet-peanut-butter blend to cool until slightly thickened, then stir it into the mixture in the bowl. Mix thoroughly. Pour or pack into forms or suet feeders; smear onto tree trunks or overhanging limbs and branches; or pack into pine cones.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image