Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#349476 Nov 2nd, 2011 at 07:36 AM
OP Offline
I have always been told that wood ash makes the ph higher (alkaline). For several years we have put our wood ashes into a large dog house for my fowl (chickens and ducks) as a dust for them to keep critters off. A tree limb fell on the dust house and destroyed it (no fowl injured).

I was walking around with my dad today and we were testing the soil PH (since it was damp). The soil is usually between 6.0-7.0 . In the area where the dust house once stood the PH of wet ashes was below the zero marking and the surrounding soil 3-4 ph. How can this be?

I was using one the cheap probe meters which I know isn't very accurate but, it does give a rough estimate and does work because I put some aluminum sulfate on my hydrangeas and the ph on the meter went from 7.5-5.8 and What is the scoop? Are ashes alkaline or acidic?

From another site

"In addition to its value as a substitute for lime and macronutrients, ash can also supply significant amounts of sulfur, boron and other micro-nutrients."

Sulfer lowers PH right? egad

lol experts help.

Last edited by twizzlestick; Nov 2nd, 2011 at 07:57 AM.
twizzlestick #349480 Nov 2nd, 2011 at 08:18 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I've always wondered if it mattered what you actually burned? I toss my ashes out directly under shrubbery and spread them out once in a while. I don't test my soil. It has not killed anything yet.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
twizzlestick #349481 Nov 2nd, 2011 at 08:27 AM
Hi Twizzlestick - I've been doing a lot of reading on this lately. I know that others on this site are more qualified to answer, but I'll throw out what I understand while you're waiting for the experts.

Wood ash should have a ph of 9 - 13. It is alkaline. There is a difference between sulfur in the sulfate form which is a plant nutrient and will not acidify the soil. Elemental sulfur actually acidfies soil, then breaks down into sulfate.

A variety of factors can cause very low pH, if in fact your readings are correct.

You can always do a quick soil test to be sure!

Good luck.

twizzlestick #349501 Nov 2nd, 2011 at 12:36 PM
OP Offline
I'm going to get one of the liquid type soil tests and see. I wonder if it being ashes from a wood stove that is controlled burn for hours vs say a brush fire that burns up very quickly is a difference? The wood used is whatever downed trees that my parents pick up for their wood stove. It could be red oak, a little pine (not much), popular, magnolia trees etc.

The wood stove seems inconvenient till the power goes out in the winter and all the neighbors including myself are at my parent's door because they will be up making coffee, cocoa,toasted cheese sandwiches,and soup on top of their stove.

twizzlestick #349524 Nov 3rd, 2011 at 03:58 AM
"The largest component of wood ash (about 25 percent) is calcium carbonate, a common liming material that increases soil alkalinity."

"Specific recommendations for the use of wood ash in the garden are difficult to make because soil composition and reaction varies from garden to garden. Acidic soils (pH less than 5.5) will likely be improved by wood ash addition. Soils that are slightly acidic (pH 6.0 to 6.5) should not be harmed by the application of 20 pounds per 100 square feet annually, if the ash is worked into the soil about 6 inches or so. However, if your soil is neutral or alkaline (pH 7.0 or greater), find another way to dispose of wood ash. If you don't know your soil's acidity or alkalinity level, have it tested for pH."

-taken from Purdue University's Hort Page

And I'm with you on a good wood stove being a savior when the power goes out!

heart Michelle
twizzlestick #349529 Nov 3rd, 2011 at 04:57 AM
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
Sounds like good information. I knew ash was a good carbon souce for the gardens, however I never really gave much thought to what it will do to the pH.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
twizzlestick #349530 Nov 3rd, 2011 at 06:35 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I love my wood stoves.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #349585 Nov 5th, 2011 at 10:27 AM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
i was told wood ashes is great for Onions.

dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image