Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#349352 Oct 29th, 2011 at 07:12 AM
OP Offline
Are the leaves of this plant edible? According to information I see on the internet, the seeds are edible? Is that the part I use instead of the leaves?

Thanks! mooo

cagardengirl #349361 Oct 29th, 2011 at 07:59 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I went looking and could find no sages that were toxic to people or animals. I would definitely taste this before using it in any cooking. And realize that the flavor can really overpower a dish. So keep it a small amount.
In cooking I have used the leaves of sage. And only two kinds: regular kitchen sage, Salvia officinalis, and pineapple sage, Salvia elegans.
Taste your leaves before using in a dish. There are so many different types.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #349371 Oct 29th, 2011 at 10:43 AM
OP Offline
Thank you, Tina. It is a pretty little plant and a native to CA so I'm pleased that picked it up. I did ruin a nice batch of soup with sage not too long ago. I am much more careful now.

I'll keep an eye out for the varieties you recommend.

Have a pleasant evening.

cagardengirl #351289 Dec 25th, 2011 at 08:40 PM
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
The seeds of Salvia may be eaten raw or parched and ground into meal. The seeds can also be soaked in water for a flavorful drink. Leaves of any fragrant sage can be used as a tea or spice for soups and meats. Sage does contain moderated amounts of vitamins A and C and can be added fresh to salads and sandwiches, however, we advise you to do this sparingly.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,856
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image