Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#332357 Oct 6th, 2010 at 06:35 PM
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I planted a dwarf apple tree about 8 feet tall. I only got 9 apples, all healthy, but I would have liked more. I have no room to plant another tree to cross pollinate, and there are no crab apples nearby. Can I buy apple pollen online next spring, and hand pollinate flowers with a small paintbrush (that wasnt used)?

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Hmm, not sure if you can buy pollen..but I know that it can take years to get many apples. Did your tree have lots of blossoms??

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, the tree was full of blooms for about a week.

Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Seems like we only get a good year for apples every second year(kind of a biennial process it seems)..your apple tree can be pollinated by other trees that neighbors have in their yards.

If the weather was cool and wet at the time of blossoms..they might have dropped without being pollinated also.

Have you had the tree long?

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
The weather was cool when it blossomed, but not wet, and the cold extends pollination time actually. I've had the tree for 2 years, but it is at mature height (it's a dwarf variety)

There is no other trees to pollinate mine, none of my neighbors have apples or crabapples. My type of tree (dwarf jonathan) Can produce some fruit without pollination, but crop is going to be low, so that is why I need pollen for a normal crop.

I think I might have found what I was looking for here- http://www.firmanpollen.com/apple.html

Last edited by KeithP; Oct 8th, 2010 at 09:49 AM.
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
The pollen I ordered seems to be doing the trick, lots of flowers are setting and getting plump at the base!

You should get the crab apples, then you don't need to worry about pollinating. Consistent year in year out. Also remember the chill hours can affect production.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image