Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#349038 Oct 21st, 2011 at 03:36 AM
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I was wondering if there are such clubs where people join, and try to create a new plant variety to enter in shows, and have their creation oficially recognized and win ribbons and get paid for it. I always like to try and create new roses or tomatoes, but to me not having a greenhouse due to lack of large yard, and having no job (due to anxiety disability) I can't seriously grow in bulk, and don't have money to join a garden club.

Due to my anxiety and lack of friends I'm bored often, growing plants is fun to me, but lacking the greenhouse I can't fully enjoy the perks other people have growing plants year round in a protected building.

I live on long island, NY. Are there any clubs I could join, but they provide a greenhouse for my plants and joining is free?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
My husband was an agriculture teacher at a local high school. He allowed some amateur people to use a corner of his green houses sometimes. I am not sure of other places.
I am also not sure there is money in it, much.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Here in CA, in the city where I live, there are lots of gardening groups. I'm not sure anyone gets paid for their work or for winning competitions. There is a Native Plant Society here in my area that gardens in a cemetery. Obviously it's warmer here, but perhaps there is something like that. I was curious and found something on the web called Long Island Garden Community Resource. It looks like an online community. Perhaps they would have some ideas for you. The website lists lots of links that appear to be local and gardening related. Good luck. I suffer from anxiety as well and totally understand how difficult it is to deal with it. I hope you find a way to heal.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Keith even a building with lots of windows , preferably southern sun, an east.. Will help loads in flowers...

Try shoveling snow in the winter to stop anxiety.. I do an I arent a spring chicken.
Soon as spring rolls around outside.
I tried starting onions in january.......Actually I am starting some inside soon to see what happens in a longer wait.
Ever try that one. Onions from seeds?

I was a flop last year.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by cagardengirl
Here in CA, in the city where I live, there are lots of gardening groups. I'm not sure anyone gets paid for their work or for winning competitions. There is a Native Plant Society here in my area that gardens in a cemetery. Obviously it's warmer here, but perhaps there is something like that. I was curious and found something on the web called Long Island Garden Community Resource. It looks like an online community. Perhaps they would have some ideas for you. The website lists lots of links that appear to be local and gardening related. Good luck. I suffer from anxiety as well and totally understand how difficult it is to deal with it. I hope you find a way to heal.

Thank You I will have to check the website out. As far as I what I meant about getting paid, for those people who lets say develop a new type of rose or tomato, they are the "owner and developer" of that plant, so once they have legal rights to say that is their creation, they can start selling it for money if people want it.

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, I knew what you meant. There really is not a lot of money to be made from patented plants. Even if you get a distributor interested, there is not much income. Most people do it from love and passion. And they document every step and parent plant used.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina is correct. You might make some money off it but, not a lot. A lot goes with what the market will take. If you create a new tomato but, it costs significantly more than say another variety well people will get something else.

My neighbor has hybridized probably 1000 different peppers but, registering is such a bother and expense he just keeps them to himself or he gives away to a neighbor that is cooking something special.

My brother has a daylily he hybridized and even named after my mother. So far he has been successful at giving it away to friends and family that want to grow it. Most of what he has is just the bragging rights to say he has a flower patented and named after his mother.

Say if you had some Worsleya procera you might be able to sell those until enough people have enough to hybridize on their own and sell for less or give away to neighbors. The top collectors pay something like 150.00 for a small plant but, I'm not a top collector and will pay at most 30.00-40.00 if they become more widely available. I'll settle for an agapanthus until they become more affordable.

[Linked Image]

One day you will be mine Worsleya Procera but, not at 150.00.
grin

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Ask Mr Bill
He is a professional in that league..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
10k Posts
10k Posts
Originally Posted by dodge
Ask Mr Bill
He is a professional in that league..

All you can do is ask around. I have a 400 Sq foot sitting empty. If the right person came around and asked me in the right way, I would probably think of a plan that could work, but that is here...
teach If you come up with a true blue rose, I will give you one million dollars for the rights for the patent. RIGHT NOW!
Other than that, making money from hybrids is a low paying endeavor when you count the time it takes... IF you even succeed.
There are probably hundreds if not thousands of horticulturists, botanists and crusty old gardeners like me trying to create hybrids of the same combination of parent plants that you are are trying to cross breed, each and every day of every year. Its not like the good old days anymore.
Follow your dream for the self satisfaction...
Do simple clones to share and make people happy that they know you.
Do it for the fun of doing it. thumbup
You'll find that it is worth much more than money will EVER be!

If you are lucky enough to discover or create a new strain of plants, be sure to look up and say "Thanks, God!"

... and that's what I think about that! kilroy

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
amen...to that one.

Where are you twizzle?????????????

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Keith - Sometimes when I open Yahoo I get NY news instead of my local news. I just happened to see an article about Native Plants and Long Island. I don't think I can post the link here, but if you want to check it out, it's in the NY Times, under Regional dated October 21, 2011. I just skimmed it and thought it might be of interest to you. Perhaps you already saw it.

I'm still here.

I think a company in Japan created a (somewhat) blue rose by modifying the genetics and introducing the "blue" portion of genes from blue pansies or something. From the photos it looks kinda mauve to me but, still very nice looking.

Stuff like this though is beyond the backyard gardner most of the time.

I would like to ask Bill if Colchicum autumnale produces enough colchicine to induce polyploid or chimeras? Say if it was dried out made into a powder, mixed with water later and a plant was soaked in it or does it have to be refined? Or is there a better substitute than this readily available?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image