Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
I have plans out - I know I'm early, but my house was busting at the seams with all my flowers I started indoors. Do you think I should cover them when it's going to be about 40 at night the next 2 nights?

PattyM
Are the flowers: Annual or perennial? Are they in the ground or in trays? Were they hardened off?

Tender annuals hardened off and planted in the ground would benefit from a cover.

Perennials hardened off and planted in the ground for a while will be ok.

If any are in a tray sitting on the ground either cover or move to a building. Don't use plastic for a cover.

500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Don't use plastic to cover? Why?

PattyM
I know that plastic will kill plants if it touches them in a freeze. I use plastic pots to put over my plants, or use a raised cloth like a sheet if needed.Generally though, I only cover if it is going to get to mid to low 30's. However, I don't know what your highs will be.

Sherri
500 Posts
OP Offline
500 Posts
Thanks for letting me know. I have plastic on some - but have that cheap fence around them with the plastic on top of that, so it's not touching them. But last week I did get some that looked like they got 'frostbit' and I bet that's what happened!

PattyM
Patty-
Look for a product called floating row cover. If one gardens in cold country this is a must. It's a lightweight material with many micro holes. Price is reasonable. I paid $7 for a piece 30 feet long and 10 feet wide. Since it floats over plants it doesn't need supports, it lets sun in, moisture out and doesn't cook the plants if the cover will be in place during the morning. It dries quickly draped over a rail or table and rolls up for storage. I do pin down the corners with garden staples if wind is called for.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image