Print Thread
Rate Thread
#290559 Jul 23rd, 2009 at 04:36 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have two sprouts and I'm really pleased.

One is about 18 inches high and has it's top leaves. Now I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that I'm suppose to cut off the top leaves so the tree will branch. But I'm afraid to because those are it's only leaves. Can someone verify the information pro or con. Thanks all.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #290586 Jul 23rd, 2009 at 10:12 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
tk...I specialized primarily in pruning, but different species behave differently. I never had a need to learn to prune avacados.
some trees have the potential to form new branches lower on the stem, some don't. Those leaves will likely either form branches or a new central stem will push up and form the next set of leaves. I would play it cautiously, and not snip off those first leaves. Tree limbs never move up the trunk any higher than where they first form, and if you're happy with the trees bushing out from the height of the leaves, you could pinch or snip the new growth. If you don[t care about bushiness, you could leave well enough alone and pinching/snipping could be done at any time in the future if you decide you want a fuller specimen.

dave
peppereater #290590 Jul 23rd, 2009 at 10:21 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Don't cut off its only leaves. My avacados are pretty much self pruning on the lower trunk and evergreen. I don't know how they would recover from total leaf loss. Wait to tip pinch for bushiness when they get new growth on top. So do much as Dave said.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #290591 Jul 23rd, 2009 at 11:02 AM
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I like Tina...she makes me feel smart when she agrees with me! blush

dave
peppereater #290595 Jul 23rd, 2009 at 01:08 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Back atcha, Dave.
Here is what Wild Willy has to say too;
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/avocado.html
And I also found this;
"Indoors, avocado plants are often gangly and sparse with leaves. One reason for the plant's gawky appearance indoors is light. Lack of sufficient light causes stems to stretch for it. Another reason is that avocados shed many buds along their stems, buds that might have grown into side branches. The result is a plant stretching out for light, sending out new growth mostly from the tips of the branches and shedding old leaves.

There are several things indoor gardeners can do to keep their plants more attractive. Most obvious is to give an avocado tree bright light. Also, the stretch for light is exaggerated when warmth stimulates growth, so the ideal spot for the plant is at the brightest window in the coolest room. Beyond that pruning back a stem or pinching out its growing tip stimulates branching by awaking dormant buds (not all are shed) further down the stem. There is nothing that can be done about the shedding of older leaves."
So if you can pinch or snip off the tip without losing every single leaf, I think you will be good to go, Tammy.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #290673 Jul 24th, 2009 at 05:43 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Thankyou so much for searching out that information for me. It is exactly what I was looking for.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #290674 Jul 24th, 2009 at 06:31 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
You are welcome, Tammy. I don't always know how to answer questions about plants others grow as indoor plants because most grow outdoors for me. I can look at a seed-grown avocado tree in my yard and see what it needs but transposing that info in writing for others and their different circumstances is a different matter. I need to research.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #324151 Jul 8th, 2010 at 11:15 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
The old avocado trees died so I've started some new ones. We will see how the seeds do. They have been drying for awhile so they may actually be to old.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #333086 Oct 16th, 2010 at 03:53 AM
I am new here, and new to trying to grow a few avocado trees for indoor decorative purposes.
The three pits I started did very well.
One however developed a white bud that seems to want to be a flower,
but it has not changed in months, so I am thinking it has maybe died.

The stem of the plant seems firm. Should I pinch that bud off so this pit will grow larger and perhaps catch up to the 20" of the growth of the others.

Because I grew them from abandoned pits, I feel like they are pets I've rescued. LOL

Thanks,
Judy

tkhooper #348892 Oct 17th, 2011 at 09:11 AM
Hello I am new to this Forum and am looking for suggestions or new idea's in gardening. My top prize is the Avacodo seed I started 6-8 weeks ago and after reading the, "how to grow one" I realized I started it upside down, pointed side up. It has a long root with others sprouting around it, and a small tip showing where the leaves should grow. My question is, will it grow into a tree or did I stunt its growth?
Linda

tkhooper #348893 Oct 17th, 2011 at 09:25 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, 26510.
Did you start it in water or soil?
Either way it will probably grow and correct itself if/when planted in soil. Whether it may ever fruit for you will depend on the zone you live in.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in November
Gardening in December
Gardening in January

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,787
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,005
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image