Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#34861 Apr 30th, 2007 at 04:07 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
My Camellia Sasanqua is putting out lots of new growth, but a lot of the old leaves have turned a bronze color.

After research some said spider mites would do this, someone else said damage from the cold.

This is a hardy variety for my zone 6 area.....I don't believe it to be spider mites....this is it's 4th year and it's been fine up until now.

Has anyone else dealt with this? And what should I do? It gets morning sun, and mostly afternoon shade.

#35863 May 1st, 2007 at 05:57 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
it is probably getting too much water. a photo would help. are the flower buds turning brown at the tips? if so, too much water.

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

RugbyHukr #36348 May 2nd, 2007 at 09:39 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I'll go down and take a picture.......we haven't had a lot of rain lately though, and it was a pretty dry winter. I've never noticed it acting like tihs before though and it has me stumped.

RugbyHukr #36349 May 2nd, 2007 at 09:42 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I have a Camillia.Its finished blooming now.The ones that are yellow have some brown dots(but not all) it's normal for them to loose some leaves after flowering& they will get new ones.Now is the time to trim .Nows a good time to give it some manure dressing to help feed the new growth.Cow works greatThen I mulch over the manure with pine needles.

Loz I been eyeballing a book of Camillia's checking out the different bloom times.They have some very hardy ones out now.And they have fragrant ones!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #36353 May 2nd, 2007 at 09:48 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I just love Camellia's, the blooms are so pretty aren't they?

Mine doesn't bloom until late fall though, so I think the best time to prune mine is after it flowers then.....Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

So it's not leaf loss from it just finishing flowering.

The leaves are totally a crispy, bronze.....Actually I forgot to say that before...they are crisp and when I squeeze the leaf it comes right off in my hand....really dry.

I wonder if it could be lack of water????? Like I said we haven't had too much lately.

#36534 May 2nd, 2007 at 06:07 PM
1k Posts
1k Posts
most likely

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

RugbyHukr #39585 May 8th, 2007 at 06:25 AM
New camellia leaves will normally look bronze for a while because they are adapting to the sun for the first time. To complicate matters a bit, some deciduous trees/shrubs that normally provide your camellias with shade may not have fully leafed out yet; this could temporarily expose the new camellia leaves to too much sun. Luckily, the problem goes away once the trees leaf out.

These new leaves should not feel crisp though. Crisp brown leaves could indicate lack of moisture during winter if you notice that the edges brown out first.

Regarding yellow leaves.... most evergreen leaves will stay on for more than one year; two years at the longest. Between Springtime and early summer, camellias will shed the older leaves. My sasanquas do that sparingly now; then around June-July, I notice more shedding of leaves.

Feel free to do minor trimming between now and mid-summer. That is when they begin to develop new flower buds. If you need to do major trimming, wait until the plant goes dormant in fall and winter.

Luis

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image