Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#348323 Sep 29th, 2011 at 10:31 AM
OP Offline
My aloe vera plant curled over during the last 2 days, I'm not sure what caused this, any help please??
[Linked Image]

Last edited by ColoradoKid; Sep 29th, 2011 at 10:40 AM.
ColoradoKid #348326 Sep 29th, 2011 at 12:01 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Coloradokid.
I am never sure exactly what causes this. They lose their stiffness and become soft. Sometimes it is due to root rot from over watering. Sometimes it is climate changes. Make sure it continues to get plenty of light but not drafts or too cold.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #348348 Sep 30th, 2011 at 02:37 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tina
Welcome, Coloradokid.
I am never sure exactly what causes this. They lose their stiffness and become soft. Sometimes it is due to root rot from over watering. Sometimes it is climate changes. Make sure it continues to get plenty of light but not drafts or too cold.

Thanks Tina, have you seen this before then? I was surprised to see this happen, I definitely haven't changed the feeding on it. It's still firm and healthy looking other than the curl over. It could be the climate change, getting cold at night.

ColoradoKid #348350 Sep 30th, 2011 at 03:57 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes. Aloes have a 'dormant' period in winter when you are supposed to cut back the watering and just give it barely enough to keep the leaves plump. Mine are outdoors and in the ground and they will sometimes flop a bit when they get too much winter rain. I hope yours recovers. But it may not ever stand up straight again either. Some of mine that flopped are propped up with stakes to keep them from touching the ground and rotting. You may also see offsets springing up around it soon. When they get stressed, they sometimes try to put out new growth.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
ColoradoKid #348430 Oct 4th, 2011 at 11:55 PM
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
My aloes have done that before.
In the winter I only water my aloes only about once everyother month, sometimes longer and they usually do just fine.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
ColoradoKid #352491 Jan 19th, 2012 at 05:29 PM
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Place your plant in a sunny, consistently warm location away from drafts. Do not over-water your plant. Give it a good watering every couple of weeks. Let the soil dry out completely before watering again. Overwatering is probably the number one reason people are not successful growing Aloe Vera plants. Using soil that drains quickly (sandy, gritty soil) will help ensure your plant does not sit in overly moist conditions. # Look closely at stems and leaves for any signs of insects or disease. Finally, look at the pot and soil. If roots are growing through the drainage holes or are seen at the soil surface, the plant has probably outgrown its pot. If you choose this plant, special care will be needed when transplanting into a larger pot.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,813
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image