Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
There from my neighbors garden, and I wanted to find out more about them to see if I want to save seeds, my neighbor forgot what varieties she planted.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

500 Posts
500 Posts

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Hadeda

You might be right, but here is one thing to consider. Last year I grew what is called "kumato" from seed. It's a dark purple with green tomato. After the seed grew and got new tomatoes, they looked identical to this, but were pinkish red instead of purple on the bottom. I did grow these and give my neighbor some tomato plants that got mid labeled, could this be that kumato variety, the inside was a mix of pink, orange, and green. Why if it is, did the plants from seed not produce purple tomatoes, why pink instead?

Last edited by KeithP; Sep 28th, 2011 at 02:06 AM.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
You do know that when you grow a tomato from seed you will probably get the tomato called for. But the seeds inside that tomato may have been cross pollinated with just about anything else around. And next years crop is probably going to be a hybrid of whatever is growing in the neighborhood?
seed tomatoes are usually grown in a large crop and protected from cross pollination as much as possible, or hand pollinated. what seeds you get from a home garden is a tossup.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
That might be what happened, the purple tomato was surrounded by red beefsteak and grape tomatoes.

Now the yellowish tomato, my neighbor said she did not buy any tomato plants that are supposed to have yellow tomatoes. I grew white beauty beefsteak from seed I bought. Is it possible for them to be yellow and not white?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yes, and anything you get from seeds saved for next year may just be a further mixture of what is growing in the neighborhood.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
so-called white tomatoes are typically light yellow. As for kumato, I think they're still a hybrid and not open pollinated. The saved seed could produce almost anything.
While tina is right that crosses can occur, with tomatoes, they tend to be fairly reliably self-pollinated, with the occasional bee pollination resulting in crosses. Some growers don't isolate plants or bag blossoms, or hand pollinate, and the saved seed is roughly 95% true to type. That is the case with OP or open-pollinated tomatoes, often referred to as "heirloom" whether they are heirlooms or not, (the definition of heirloom is somewhat contentious,) the process of developing an OP tomato from a hybrid takes roughly 7 gnerations depending on the number of plants grown out from the seeds of the original hybrid and recognizing desired characteristics that indicate certain stable traits...anyway, as for identifying a certain tomato goes, it's easier to do when a variety is from an OP and the possible parent can be narrowed down, hybrid offspring or cross-pollinated, accidental hybrids aren't going to be easily recognized.

dave
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Cool, I hadn't realized that tomatoes were so monogamous. (Or is that narcissistic?)

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Ah, I ddnt know white tomatoes can be yellow, that solves that one.

And for the Kumato, I saved seeds from a store bought tomato. They werent from a seed pack, so that must be why they dont grow true from seed and why I dont see seed ever sold. That variety must not be "stable" as I would call it. Luckily though, although not purple, the tomatoes were very sweet so they still were good to grow!

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
It would be interesting to see what next year brings, if you save seed again.

dave

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image