Rate Thread
#348030 Sep 18th, 2011 at 02:05 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I have a problem. Don't I always.

I got a Japanese Painted Fern that was on my want list. I thought it died over the summer but it didn't Yea! What it did do was go dormant. Now I need something that will take center stage while it is dormant over the summer.

The planting is rigt next to a garden bench in the shade of some mature trees that loose their leaves in the fall. The zone is 7b. The temperatures are easily in the 90's and the conditions are drought during the summer. Can anyone suggest what I should plant here to take over when the fern is dormant that will share space with the fern without hurting it?

Thanks for all your help.

[Linked Image]
10k Posts
10k Posts
Is there room to plant a Sword Fern or Deer Fern just behind it? why The dark green ferns will show off the Painted Ferns colors when she is growing, but the green ferns will remain evergreen when she goes dormant...

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
There is certainly a bunch of room. I'll look them up. I could use something taller. Not more than 3 feet but about that large.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image