Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Has anyone ever had a problem with these before? From what I see on the internet, they're typically found in the south. They have been on my nasturtium plants for months. It took me a while to identify them and figure out that they are bad. I finally discovered Diatomacious Earth, which seems to be killing them off. I'm gardening organically only so most pesticides are out for me. I am still seeing some, and they seem to be venturing off the nasturtiums more.

I haven't seen anything in the literature about nasturtiums specifically. I have no problem removing them if anyone thinks that will help. My fear is that they will just attack the rest of my garden if I simply remove their primary home. From what I've read, one female can lay 300-500 eggs and they like a lot of different plants. I'm also planning to do a winter garden and want these little buggers gone before I give them fresh crops to eat. I'm pretty sure they killed my watermelon plant.

I'm really frustrated with this situation. I'd love some more advice or encouragement.

Thanks!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I'm thinking if you take away what appears to be a favorite food in your garden they will gravitate to a different one and make it a favorite.
For organic controls, Sabadilla is an alkaloid just as nicotene and ryana are. Because it is highly toxic to many insects and bees this should be only considered for last resort use. Pyrethrins are a better choice but are also now used as last resort controls.
Another suggestion is insecticidal soap. I'm reading that the soap is best. They are least likely to bother your winter crops because they really don't like it cold much. So you should have fewer to contend with as the temps dip.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
See also Controlling Harlequin bug—Murgantia histrionica

here

Two of the most common pests in California gardens are the consperse stink bug, Euschistus conspersus, and the harlequin bug, Murgantia histrionica. Coloration in bugs varies. The consperse stink bug is usually gray brown to green with speckled black legs. The harlequin bug is black with distinctive red markings. Don't confuse the consperse stink bug with the rough stink bug, Brochymena sulcata, which is a predator. Two other common species are the say stink bug, Chlorochroa sayi, and the southern green stink bug, Nezara viridula. The say stink bug is green with a white rim around its borders. The southern green stink bug is bright green and larger than other stink bugs. Consperse stink bug is the dominant species found in fruit and nut trees; the others are found primarily in vegetables.

Solutions

Handpick bugs or their eggs. Eliminate groundcovers or weedy areas (especially mustards) in early spring before populations build up. Destroy old cole crop plants and mustards because they provide breeding areas. Insecticides are generally not recommended in gardens for stink bugs. Parasites and general predators may contribute to control.

and

here

From Gardening Australia: mix of water with a few drops of dish liquid & either garlic oil or minced garlic. Shake really well & spray them till saturated & they will drop off plants fences etc.

Ensure that you do not have areas of overgrown weeds or really long grass as this is where they love to inhabit. They don’t like regularly turned soil areas.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
OP Offline
Thank you Tina and Papito. I had a tough time finding info on these guys. I am, so far, pleased with the results of the DE. Since I have my daughter with me in the garden most of the time, I'm just not comfortable using anything else, except maybe the garlic treatment. I'll try that for sure if this doesn't work. I was SO disappointed when I lost my watermelon plant. Trying to get over it, since it's not a big deal, except watermelon is a family favorite and super expensive at the store. Oh, well. I will know what to do sooner next year.

I didn't get sprayed with pepper spray, but I did show my daughter how to use the garden hose, and of course, she says, "Look mom, it makes a rainbow!" while she's soaking me with the hose and I'm yelling STOP! Stop!

Hope everyone is feeling as well as possible and having a beautiful evening/night.

~Beth~

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The dish detergent spray will not harm your daughter either. Just a tablespoon in a quart spray bottle of water (water first then add detergent so you don't get bubbles). It will help with all kinds of bugs that may like your plants. And it is a super cheap fix.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
OP Offline
Thanks! idea

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image