Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#347587 Sep 1st, 2011 at 10:57 PM
ktroth Offline OP
OP Offline
I live in Wisconsin and my husband is the gardener in our family. But he's been very busy at work and as a result, our pole beans (green beans he grows on three branches tied together to form a tee-pee) have gotten overripe. My son already picked a bucket of them, but they don't taste good. Can I still do something with these? Can I open up the pods and use the seeds in soup or something? If so, can I freeze the seeds as they are or do I need to blanch them?

We also have overripe cukes. Any use for these or should I just compost them? Several weeks ago, we picked cukes and made them into refrigerator pickles. But we only need so many pickles! The rest of the cukes are now overripe.

ktroth #347713 Sep 6th, 2011 at 08:52 AM
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
Miss. Farmer
500 Posts
If the pods are still green, you can shell them (take the beans out of the pods) and freeze them. You do need to blanch them for 3 minutes, and then put them in ice water for 3 minutes before you put them in freezer bags. OR depending on the variety of bean, you can let the pods hang on the plants until they dry out completely. You'd have dried beans. Blackeyed peas are an example of dried beans.

Over ripe cucumbers aren't good for very much. They loose their flavor and become bitter. But if you still have some that are of an o.k. size, you can freeze them!!

http://divinebrinefoods.com/blog/?p=36

These are absolutely delicious. They retain their crispness and are a taste of summer on a cold winter day.

[Linked Image]

"No crime is involved in plagiarizing nature's ways" (Edward H. Faulkner, 1943, "Plowman's Folly," University of Oklahoma Press).

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,856
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image