Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#347325 Aug 25th, 2011 at 12:39 AM
OP Offline
I need help stopping the growth of some unwanted trees in my yard.

I have them cut down to the stumps as they are small enough to do that to, but they're too big for me to pull/dig out of the ground. They keep sprouting new growth in under a week.

Is there anything I can do to stop their growth/prevent new growth until I can get them uprooted (& I don't know when that may be - not likely this year).

Is there something I can paint over the stumps that would do the trick? I've even considered pouring bleach on them, but don't like the idea. Please help me! I have 2 young children & don't have the time to prune these darn trees every week or more!

Natural mama of 2 barefooters. :)
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I do use Roundup painted on the newly cut stumps to kill them off. Full strength. This works for me. It makes organic growers shudder but it is the only thing I have found that works. It only works on new cuts and paint the whole cut.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #347329 Aug 25th, 2011 at 03:12 AM
OP Offline
Thank you! kissie
I've thought about using some old paint I have on hand. Is that crazy - should I forget that & go straight for the Roundup? (I'm also pinching pennies if you can't tell. notme )

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I understand penny pinching completely. Paint may work. It cannot hurt. Paint thinner might work also. The thing is to get it on the cambium layer (just under the outer bark) before it calluses over at all. The fresher the cut, the better the effects of killing it off. That is the layer that carries things down to the roots.
Roundup wannabe is available at Walmart and it is called Eliminator. It has the same working ingredients as Roundup at a slightly lower price. I turns into benign stuff once it gets into the ground. But don't allow it to get on leaves of plants or grasses you want to keep.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #347331 Aug 25th, 2011 at 04:40 AM
OP Offline
Thanks again! You're a great help. kissie
I think I'll try the old paint & see how that does. If that doesn't work I'll try the Eliminator. Thanks for the tips, tricks, & explaining how it works. I welcome anymore thoughts. flwr

OP Offline
Thought I'd pop in & let y'all know that painting it with old paint worked to at least inhibit/slow growth buds. We had rain recently & the weather's cooled, & I'm ecstatic to report that I was able to dig up that darn tree all by myself with a flat shovel in a couple hours with our preschooler & walking infant "helping"! party I used the tip to start digging about 20" away from the tree & after a rain, & it worked great!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Awesome! I am glad. Keep watch in that area for more possible growth next year. Some trees are zombies (living dead) and will not die!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Tina #347763 Sep 8th, 2011 at 09:27 AM
OP Offline
Thanks for the tip! I'll keep a look out. thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image