Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
In June I collected rose of Sharon seedlings and put them in their own pots. Some of them are now over a foot tall, and roots are growing out the bottom of the pot and surfacing the soil. I have them in an area that gets half shade and half full sun, but being its still Summer I am not sure if they can handle transplant, though I do have shady spots under a tree I could move them too.

Should I transplant them now?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I would if they are outgrowing their pots. And if you have a nice place to place them. And here I would need very regular irrigation.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I want to transplant each of them to a larger pot, not plant them in the ground. What I meant is the newly transplanted shrubs can be placed under a shady tree so the sun and heat dont shock them if it's a help. I've been watering them each day.

Last edited by KeithP; Aug 20th, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
If the roots are coming out the bottom of the pot then it is time to transplant, yes. Good luck!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok thanks.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Keith - are you planning on keeping them in pots over winter? I have tried this before, and only 1 survived because the roots all froze in the icy temperatures. I know you are 1 zone higher than we are here, but be careful.

I had been growing out seedlngs in pots to share with friends and family, but that didn't happen unfortunately. Now I let them grow in the ground, until I am ready to pot them up a few weeks before sharing, so they are not in shock when they go to their new homes.

I would definitely keep them in a shady spot until they acclimate to their new pot and/or home.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I have rose of sharon, roses, and had mulberry seedlings all in pots last winter. All had survived, we had large and frequent amount of snowfall so the pots were literally covered in snow most of the winter. Hopefully what I'm growing is just more cold hardy in pots.

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I transplanted one of them today, oh my gosh the roots formed a thick circle 3 or 4 times around like a thick wound up rope! I could not believe that at the start of this year it only has 2 thin roots!!! Should I trim the roots towards the bottom to untangle them, or being they are in a larger pot will they untangle themselves and spread out?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
It is best to untangle them and spread them as much as possible. As little cutting as possible to get that job done to avoid shock.
Rootbound plants and trees will often continue to grow in those circles and remain bound if they don't get the help.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
They're tough plants. When repotting a special one I shake all the dirt off into the wheelbarrow (to refurbish the dirt), straighten up the roots, re-pot into a larger container, give a good watering and put them in a partial shady place.

Frogger
40k Posts
Frogger
40k Posts

zone 6 here.

I have 3 Red bud trees in like 4 to 5 inch pots. My husband grew them from seeds. Two are outside on my roofed porch. & one is inside.

I fully intend to put the 2 that are on my roofed porch in larger pots & then keeping them in my attached garage over winter. I am thinking that that way they will not freeze but will get the cold weather that they need.

Am I wrong ?? and could Keith put his ROS pots in the garqage also???

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image