Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello~

I wish I would have read this before I put my 15 year old Jade outside, thinking more sun would do it some good. It was beautiful and healthy in the house.. I should have left it alone!!

Jades will sunburn if they are suddenly moved from subdued lighting to full sun

So now that the damage has been done, is there anything I can do to help it heal? I thought about buying it an aloe vera plant...that was my poor attempt at a plant joke. The sunburnt issue is serious.

Thanks in advanced for any help you can give me!

Carmen

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Carmanie. A very interesting screen name.
It seems jades are just touchy when they are moved or shifted at any time. The leaves start dropping to tell you that they are unhappy. Most of the time they will recover though. Not the burnt leaves but it should put out new growth with tender loving care. No over watering during this process. That will start some rot in your already stressed plant.
I have jades outdoors in the ground. Some are in part shade and some in nearly full sun. I have never tried them as house plants.
Good luck with your plant!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
500 Posts
500 Posts
Move it back to where it was. Keep it damp, but not wet and it should recover. Jade plants don't like to be moved. good luck!

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Nothing that is observed is unaffected by the observer.
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
I have put many succulents out in full sun in summer, only to find that they burn easily. But each time when I brought them inside, they reverted back to their nice green colors. I would bring your plant back inside as soon as possible and hope for the best. Hopefully it will be fine.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thanks Everyone.. the Jade is doing much better. A few of the sunburnt leaves are still on.. but there is also a lot of new growth. I couldn't put it back in the window sill..it had simply outgrown the pot it was in. The new pot won't fit.

I appreciate the advise. The plant was given to me from a dear friend as a start off his plant over 15 years ago. He was shocked it had lived through all my moves when he brought his new wife out for a visit last year.

Thanks Again!

Carmen

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I am glad to hear that it survived. It will still need about all the light you can give it indoors. So keep it near a window as much as possible and turn it at least once a week.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image