Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#346348 Jul 21st, 2011 at 01:16 PM
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
So a Garden disaster occurred today. My Neighbor who had many beautiful rose Of Sharon shrubs for over 20 years (some hybridized creating wonderful new specimens) decided to remove every single one! madd

I think it was a waste to kill such large shrubs that literally had hundreds of flowers each year. He had pink,white,lavender,double petaled, and curled petaled varieties in those 3 colors all growing mixed in. I managed to save a few tiny seedlings for myself and i'm potting them so years to come I still have the hybrid stock.

Luckily 2 shrubs grown from seed from his are on my property, so I still have a live shrub.

In spite of the great loss I was hoping to collect lots of seeds this Fall/Winter (September-November) and perhaps ship them in a regular envelope to whoever wants some. They are mixed and theres no telling what the offspring will come out to be but the curled and double petaled ones were common here so chances of them are pretty good. Some white flowers even got red stripes, like a candycane. Some of his shrubs got flowers on them at only 3 feet tall, mabye a dwarf trait?

I was wondering is is legal to ship rose Of Sharon seeds in a regular white envelope, they are so small I could wrap them in paper before shipping and it will look like a letter in the envelope.

I want their stock to live on in other peoples gardens! grin

These are not actual photos of mine, but the best examples of what his flowers looked like.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ckBlasgNS...0/PInk+Rose+Of+Sharon+Seeds+For+Sale.jpg
http://ebid.s3.amazonaws.com/upload_big/2/4/1/1257435692-28976-0.jpg
http://www.wisdomportal.com/Poems2008/RoseOfSharon%28500x555%29.jpg
http://sites.google.com/site/natureswallpaper/WhiteRoseOfSharonforgooglepages.jpg
http://www.monrovia.com/img/plants/4348/d/7484-china-chiffon-rose-of-sharon-close-up.jpg
http://www.georgiabackyardnature.com/.a/6a00e554525e228834014e893ee5ac970d-500wi
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg209/dwsewbiz/Blog2/June007.jpg

Last edited by KeithP; Jul 21st, 2011 at 01:54 PM.
KeithP #346351 Jul 21st, 2011 at 01:37 PM
What zones do they grow best in. For some reason I have it in my head that they do better in the southeast? I live in technically zone 6 but right on the border of zone 7. If it would grow here I would love, love, love to have some seeds. prayers

I don't think there would be a problem sending them folded up in a piece of paper thru the mail. Someone sent a small chain necklace to a friend that way the other day and it felt and sounded like a packet of seeds to me.

Pamela~

Whoever said gardening relieves stress wasn't talking about the first year of a new garden :)
pam_ela #346353 Jul 21st, 2011 at 01:57 PM
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
They grow zones 5-9. Only requirement is seeds need cold stratification to sprout.

Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Hiya Keith! I was wondering why you were wondering if it's legal to send ROS seeds? I've done this many times before, without thinking there might be a problem? Is there something I should know about these plants? I've also shared many seedlings with friends over the years.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
KeithP #346356 Jul 21st, 2011 at 02:21 PM
Great. So do you just want to post it again when they're ready and then I can give you my address at that point? And of course when it's all said and done and I have a beautiful bush that starts flowering, I will post pictures.

Pamela~

Whoever said gardening relieves stress wasn't talking about the first year of a new garden :)
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots
Hiya Keith! I was wondering why you were wondering if it's legal to send ROS seeds? I've done this many times before, without thinking there might be a problem? Is there something I should know about these plants? I've also shared many seedlings with friends over the years.

As far as I know I can ship them, they are a commonly grown shrub. I just am unsure if they could be invasive in any way, but as far as I know they aren't.

pam_ela #346358 Jul 21st, 2011 at 02:26 PM
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by pam_ela
Great. So do you just want to post it again when they're ready and then I can give you my address at that point? And of course when it's all said and done and I have a beautiful bush that starts flowering, I will post pictures.

Yes, I will post when they are ready (around September,October, or November). Then I will start gathering addresses.

KeithP #346363 Jul 21st, 2011 at 02:54 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Originally Posted by KeithP
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots

As far as I know I can ship them, they are a commonly grown shrub. I just am unsure if they could be invasive in any way, but as far as I know they aren't.

Well my dad won't take a seedling because he's told me that they have always called them the "nuisance tree" because they do send up seedlings EVERYWHERE! I didn't realize it, until I planted 2 bushes of my own a few years back. Now we do have seedlings everywhere in the grass, etc. We don't mind too much, as they get mowed down each week.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
They do sent new ones up each year but your right if they are mowed over that solves that, they wont spread unless you transplant seedlings where they arent mowed. Otherwise they aren't a nuisance at all unless you hate bees, but if you like flowers bees come with that. :)

Part of the good thing about this is it's easy to create new hybrids this way. There are dozens of varieties.

Last edited by KeithP; Jul 22nd, 2011 at 01:29 AM.
KeithP #348695 Oct 12th, 2011 at 10:50 AM
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
seeds formed early this year and I collected so many had a good crop, so whoever wants some FREE seeds just send me a PM with your name and address, I will start to mail the seeds next week.

Dont be shy I want to give them away so other people can enjoy them like I have been doing for so long.

Just a note, they DO require a cold period to sprout, unless you know a stratifying technique.

KeithP #348717 Oct 12th, 2011 at 09:36 PM
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
I'd like some but I don't think they can be shipped across the border legally

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Shani, we have shipped seeds of many plants to and from Canada a lot. There are just a few kinds that are on their list of plants not allowed. It is more tricky to ship plants because they are more likely to carry diseases with them.
I found this looking online
"Exemptions from the Importation Requirements

Here is the good news for gardeners in Canada who are importing seeds merely for seed exchange or small purchase orders – There are exemptions from the importation requirements just mentioned. Neither the import declaration information nor the certificate of analysis need be supplied for the following seed importations.

Where the imported seed lot is 5 kg or less for large seeded crop kinds such as peas, wheat, soybeans and corn or is 500 g or less for small seeded crop kinds such as alfalfa, tomato or canola. See here for clarification of importations with multiple small seed lots. In order to determine whether the species is “large seeded” or small seeded, please refer to Approximate number of seeds per gram in The 2009 ABCs of seed Importation into Canada. If the species is listed as having 199 seeds or less per gram, it is considered large seeded. If the species is listed as having 200 seeds or more per gram, it is considered small seeded.
For lots of herb seed that are 5 kg or less, or for flower seed, tree or shrub seed, true potato seed, ginseng, seeds of aquatic plants or onion/garlic multiplier sets.

Note that this exemption does not apply to wildflowers; importations of seed lots of wildflower species or mixtures that are greater than 500 grams require an import declaration and a certificate of analysis.
For further information, you can check the import regulations of seed into Canada in the official website of Canadian Food Inspection Agency."
This pretty much paraphrases the rules on small packages of seeds from your Canadian Agency
So small packages of seeds can be sent with appropriate postage.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
The only reason I said US only is because I can only afford to buy so many stamps and outside of the US will cost more. I'm really sorry about that. :(

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I know. And understand that, Keith. I have sent to Canada when they have sent a self-addressed stamped envelop.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
No worries, it would be nice but far too much hassle, I have enough going on in my gardens to deal with before adding new plants anyway.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Shani
No worries, it would be nice but far too much hassle, I have enough going on in my gardens to deal with before adding new plants anyway.

If you can send me a self addressed envelope already stamped then I'd be able to send you the seeds if you want to do that.

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I still have lots of seeds left I need to find homes for!

I wanted to update the variety I have collected. I have white with red, pure white, pink, lavender, purple, maroon, and white with red stripes as petal colors. I also have normal and double petaled varieties. You will get a mix of everything in the seed mix.

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I have shipped to 2 people thus far, still have plenty of seeds to give.

Ah send me some and your albino seeds too lol. I don't have a pure white. Might get something even more interesting since they don't breed true.

Also they aren't bad about extra seedlings if you just clip the ends of the branches every fall after blooming/before the pods turn brown. This kills most of the seeds.

It is a pretty versatile plant

Here is one along my front walkway that I've been shaping into a small tree.

[Linked Image]

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Sure, I'd be happy to send you some! That tree ROS you have is fantastic, I see them sold like that commonly.

Yeah tree shaping just takes time. The (trunk) isn't very strong till it gets wider so have to keep the canopy down till it can support the top or it will lean over. We had birds nest in it this summer. You can also plant three into a hole and braid them like their tropical cousins while growing because they are flexible when young.

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I hope you enjoy the seeds twizzlestick!

As for anyone else who wants seeds, I have enough to send to 2 more people, any takers?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image