Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Multiflora rose grows naturally all around my area.

As far as hardiness, it's very disease resistant, grows quickly, produces lots of flowers at once, and is drought and cold tolerated.

But it's plain white, only blooms once a year, and gets too tall and messy.

I have a store bought rose that is a nice mix of pink and white, it's flower resembles a wild rose except a little larger. The tallest it got is 3 feet, and it blooms all year except the coldest parts of the year. It also tends to get black spot and sunburn easily.

I wanted to cross the multiflora rose with my rose, to make a perfectly healthy rose that is colorful and blooms more often.
Can it be done?

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Please, anyone? It's almost blooming time!

Have you done any pollenating before?
Generally, you remove the petals from the seed bearing flower to expose its pistils, and dust with pollen from the male parent variety, and hope for the best.
It's hit or miss. Takes years to see the results...

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I tried that last year, but the problem is the wild rose stops blooming right as my rose starts blooming, if I collect pollen from the wild rose, could I freeze it until my rose blooms so its viable? Also last year I covered the exposed petal-less flowers with plastic bags to prevent pollination from the parent rose, could this have ruined the cross? Should I leave the flowers not covered and remove and of my rose flowers to prevent inbreeding?

Suggest you save a few blossoms of your multiflora

[Linked Image]

in an open container. The pollen will keep okay during your wait for the rose to bloom.

And then, dust its pollen onto your wild rose as soon as it opens: the sooner the better
in order to get to it first.

[Linked Image]

And that's it; collect the seeds, plant in a protected spot,
and wait for about five or six years.

Go for it. Won't hurt to try, and good luck.

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh ok, so i'll snip a bunch of multiflora rose flowers, put them in an open plastic container, and when my rose opens I will pollinate it right away. I'll let you know in a month or two if it appeared to work.

KeithP Offline OP
OP Offline
I tried it again this year, with the same results as last year, all my pollinated flower hips turned brown and rotted. It was not only my pollinated hips, but all of the hips up until ones that bloomed later on. I think the Summer heat kills early set hips, as most of the hips I get are from flowers blooming in July and on. So if multiflora blooms only in May-June when my first rose flowers open, I dont think I can cross them as thats right before the hottest part of the year when my rose hips die off apparently. and saving multiflora pollen for over 2 months (when its cooler out) wont work I dont think. Too late for this year anyway multiflora have bloomed for the year already.

I am very dissapointed as I can never make my dream rose now. nervous

This is my rose in my garden, if anyone has this species growing by them and multiflora think you could try and cross them for me and send me some seeds, I am desperate. [img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/BzpSAZNLMJpFeS...vWGrKAD0VyuIRwsx-mlZSAo9ANdwXRaQeN=s1200[/img]

Last edited by KeithP; Jul 19th, 2011 at 08:08 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image