Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#345239 Jun 11th, 2011 at 12:05 PM
OP Offline
I bought a Senecio Rowleyanus "String of Pearls" plant about a month and a half ago. When I got it, there were many beads where the strings started and it looked full and healthy. Now, the strings are rotting from the top down and I'm pretty sure it isn't going to snap out of it. This is the second time this has happened with this plant and I'm confused about what I am doing wrong. It is in a hanging basket near a window where it gets several hours of sun daily. I never over-water it and the soil never gets waterlogged. Could it be that I just can't grow these plants? Any advice is appreciated.

tmkinzer #345245 Jun 11th, 2011 at 01:47 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, tm. It still sounds like too much water. These need to dry out completely between watering. And even then very sparingly on the water. I would also turn the plant pretty often (every few days) in that window to let all sides get some direct sun. When these plants are happy, they are hard to stop from growing but when they are unhappy, they do let you know it.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
tmkinzer #345860 Jul 5th, 2011 at 05:01 PM
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Provide a porous, fast draining soil with lots of sunlight, good air circulation and plenty of water, but make sure to keep your plant lightly moist during the growing season. If the beads look flat, then it is a sign that you plant is too dry. Give them a proper water, but take care not to overwater. Feed them once in a month with a balanced liquid fertilizer diluted by half. Mix the soil with cactus potting mix or use 3 parts good quality potting soil along with 1 part sharp sand.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image