Print Thread
Rate Thread
#345729 Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:52 PM
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
I saw the term on a couple pages here at TGH, but there was no link or explanation.

I have an area that I am considering turning into a planted area, but I need moisture loving plants. Full sun though. Only shaded in the afternoon hours.

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts

I found this link---see if it cvan help you understand what a bog garden is....good luck.

http://dictionary.sensagent.com/The%20Bog%20Garden/en-en/

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thank you very much for that link!! I think maybe a 'bog' garden isn't what I am looking to do. There isn't water lying, it is just really damp.. of course, with lots of rain, there IS water lying. Not sure what to do. It runs through the corner of my yard making it impossible to keep mowed at times.. depending on recent rain fall. The obvious answer would be to do a culvert of some kind.. but that is also the expensive answer. I thought a planted area would be so much nicer. Hmmm..

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
someone can correct me if I am mistaken, but there should be plants that require more water--

or better yet--make flower beds that are mounded (higher in the middle & lower at the edges--am I clear enough ?? and then you wil not have to cut said area and CAN plant someo f yoiur favorite flowers---

Rock gardens are also nice---put down some landscape fabric down, cover with your favorite type of rock, & some kind of edging to define the area (I have colored bricks edging mine) and then you can add pavers as stepping stones and/or add potted flowers to your liking.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Wild Willow
500 Posts
OP Offline
Wild Willow
500 Posts
Thank you so much for your ideas... The idea of no mowing in that area is exactly what I am going for! =) I would love to do some kind of bed there.. but am totally unsure of the kind of plants I can use. As I said, the moisture factor varies greatly, and I don't want to spend money on plants that can't handle it when it is very wet.

When it's drier, I can always water. It would be wonderful if I could find some plants that can take a great variance in moisture levels, so I wouldn't have to be overly worried if we had a bit of a drier spell, as we sometimes do here in Ohio. ;)

I hadn't considered a rock garden, but that is a very good idea too!

(Do you think I should have put this topic somewhere else, so it would get more 'traffic'?)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,871
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image