Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#345313 Jun 16th, 2011 at 08:38 AM
OP Offline
These are from around my house. I am trying to take better care of the lovely plants we have. Knowing what they are would help. I'm not the best photographer so hopefully you can tell what they are from my photos. Thanks!

In this one, I am wondering about the white flowering plant.

[Linked Image]
IMG_2165 by bobolu1, on Flickr

[Linked Image]
IMG_2166 by bobolu1, on Flickr

In this one below, it is a tall tree-like plant. The big black bumblebees like it and it produces some kind of fruit.
[Linked Image]
IMG_2164 by bobolu1, on Flickr

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
The middle picture with the yellow flowers is a broom plant, probably Cytisus but could be a Genista.
The first with white flowers looks a lot like a weed I am dealing with here but I cannot tell for sure. Are the leaves a little fuzzy and when you squeeze them are they a little sticky? Leave your hands slightly sticky, I mean? If so it is a weed.
I also can't tell what the third may be. Is it a shrub? Does it bloom at all?

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
The first picture - the white flowers - looks a lot like a wild phlox I have here - phlox maculata. Many years ago, I pulled up a small piece at a roadside and planted it in my garden. It has since sent out underground runners and is ruining that garden by growing in and around all my other desirable perennials - I cannot get rid of it wihtout digging up the entire garden, which is not something I want to do.

Please be careful - it is quite invasive.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Tina #345327 Jun 17th, 2011 at 02:02 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tina
The middle picture with the yellow flowers is a broom plant, probably Cytisus but could be a Genista.
The first with white flowers looks a lot like a weed I am dealing with here but I cannot tell for sure. Are the leaves a little fuzzy and when you squeeze them are they a little sticky? Leave your hands slightly sticky, I mean? If so it is a weed.
I also can't tell what the third may be. Is it a shrub? Does it bloom at all?

Thank you Tina. For the first one with the white flowers, it's not sticky at all, but they are fuzzy rather than smooth and shiny. They smell herblike, similar to thyme, I think. They are very invasive. I've tried to dig them up as they spread to keep them in on little patch.

The third one is a bushy tree. Every spring it blooms pinkish white flowers with long red hairy-like parts. The fruit it bears is green and fuzzy on the outside and has lots of seeds. It reminds me of a kiwi but there's not much substance to it.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots
The first picture - the white flowers - looks a lot like a wild phlox I have here - phlox maculata. Many years ago, I pulled up a small piece at a roadside and planted it in my garden. It has since sent out underground runners and is ruining that garden by growing in and around all my other desirable perennials - I cannot get rid of it wihtout digging up the entire garden, which is not something I want to do.

Please be careful - it is quite invasive.

Thank you! Yes, it is definitely invasive. I have been keeping it to one small area by digging it up, but I've let it go in the last few years and it's getting out of control.

1k Posts
1k Posts
the tree is Feijoa sellowiana

white looks like Gnaphalium californicum

Last edited by RugbyHukr; Jun 28th, 2011 at 10:32 AM.

I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Yep, I didn't know the name of my white flowered weed. But that is it. Fuzzy leaves that leave your hands slightly sticky when you pull them up.
Good going, Rugby!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
RugbyHukr #345699 Jun 29th, 2011 at 09:13 AM
OP Offline
Yes, that is the tree exactly! Now I can take better care of it. Thank you. I have a couple more pictures of mystery plants to post when I have more time.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by cagardengirl
Yes, that is the tree exactly! Now I can take better care of it. Thank you. I have a couple more pictures of mystery plants to post when I have more time.

My neighbor id'd another one of my garden plants (not pictured). It's a hibiscus! It's flowering beautifully right now. This is fun!

are the flowers white or purple? I first thought it looked like Oregano. Maybe not, sorry I could not help more.

OP Offline
The flowers are white. It could be oregano. I'm still not sure and I haven't had a chance to really check into it more. Thanks for looking!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image