Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#345079 Jun 5th, 2011 at 02:30 AM
tools Offline OP
OP Offline
Which is the best to use on roses, or does it depend on the insect "bugging" your roses or the type of roses? I have some aphids and some tiny black things like pepper on three different kinds of roses. I had both dust and an insecticidal soap, both half gone. I used soap on one bush and dust on the other two. Two are climbing roses, one is supposed to be just a bush but every year it gets pretty high with loads of blooms.

I am watching to see what happens but since I have to restock on either the soap or the dust (I'll definitely restock the insecticidal soap for other plants), which one should I continue to use on the roses? Should I just get a large bottle of the soap since I want it for other plants, too, and forget the dust or should I get both?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I love insecticidal soap. I have not had as much luck with dusting although I have used Sevin dust on occasion. Mostly when I didn't have time to give the plants the attention they needed.
The insecticidal soap is a little more work but it is easier to get where it is needed most.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
Hi Tools wavy

I have used rose Defense by greenlite for forever and I love it,, It's organic,,, primarily it has neem oil seed extract in it.

rose Defense not only controls insects by killing the larva and adult insects but also controls black spots and other fungus's.

I also use concentrated Neem oil use 1/2 neem oil and 1/2 water in a spray bottle and spray not only your roses but other plants in your garden!
I don't use sevin dust at all, it's bad for beneficial bugs and will bring more bad bugs when you stop using it, as well as toxic for people if you breath it and soil composition if you use a lot of it, I'm strictly organic and find neem oil is best. Also if you are near a nursery you can buy a cup of ladybugs that eat the aphids from your roses thumbup
All in all go visit your local nursery ask for neem oil concentrate and make 1/2 and 1/2 spray bottles it will save you $$ in the long run.
Tip: always spray your roses and plant in the early morning before the sun gets hot so you won't get burned leaves, and always water at the base not allowing water to splash up on the leaves teach

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
tools Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Tina & angelblossom! I don't care for the dust, myself, and wear a mask when shooting that stuff into the air. I have done it either in the morning or evening and when the wind is calm, but I still don't care for it. Today, whenever walking past my roses, all I could smell was that Sevin dust. It's supposed to rain tomorrow so I hope some of that is washed away. Even though I don't like it, I thought I would ask about which is better just in case I would have to tolerate the dust if it is the better one to use. I'm glad to hear the soap is preferred.

Thanks for the info about the Neem oil. I hadn't heard about that. I will check out the rose Defense and see if the garden center near me has the Neem oil. This is good to know because I'm just getting my vegetable garden ready. We've had either cold or rain that I haven't had a chance to get it started until now. Is it good for vegetables too?

I knew that ladybugs ate aphids and welcome any one I see, but I didn't know that you could buy a cupful of ladybugs from the nursery. Thanks for that tip also! wavy

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
You're Welcome Tools, and Yep Neem is also good for veggies in the garden thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
tools Offline OP
OP Offline
Glad to hear! I'll try to pick up some this week. :wink:

Last edited by tools; Jun 11th, 2011 at 05:22 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image