Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#345182 Jun 9th, 2011 at 06:38 AM
OP Offline
I got a bumper load of yellow squash coming in and I noticed that there are some that got 2 inches long and then shrivled up and fell off. Does this mean that I do not have enough nutrients in the soil? I've been side dressing my tomoatoes with 12-12-12 fert...should I do the whole garden like this?

Thanks
Tom

tawright915 #345229 Jun 11th, 2011 at 05:12 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Originally Posted by tawright915
I got a bumper load of yellow squash coming in and I noticed that there are some that got 2 inches long and then shrivled up and fell off. Does this mean that I do not have enough nutrients in the soil? I've been side dressing my tomoatoes with 12-12-12 fert...should I do the whole garden like this?

Hi Tom,

Shriveling of the squash fruits indicates incomplete or unsuccessful pollination.
If there are not enough bees around, you may try hand pollination.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #345379 Jun 20th, 2011 at 01:12 AM
OP Offline
Nah...I'm going to pull them I tried that last year for my pumpkins and was not successful. Maybe I'll plant something else...like butternut squash. I believe those are self pollinating.

papito #345719 Jun 29th, 2011 at 11:31 PM
OP Offline
Well I decided to play bee and it paid off. I now have 4 yellow squash and 4 zuchinni to pull off the vine.

Basically I go out before I leave for work and cut the male flower stem about 4 inches down. Peel off the petal from the base of the flower and use it to paint the female flowers. Works great and quick.

tawright915 #346030 Jul 11th, 2011 at 10:57 PM
OP Offline
Squash update:
So after pollinating some of the squash and zukes, I started getting a few here and there. What really helped was clearing out one plant. This opened up the other plants and allowed the bees to get in.

Two things that I did and suggest to other:
1. If the female flowers are already closed, you can open them by creating a slit down the side of the closed flower and pollinate them with a male flower. Remember males have NO fruit below the flower, females will have a 1-2 inch long fruit on it.
2. If you determine that it is a pollination issue, you can open up the plants by pushing the leaves back to attract the bees.

I was told by a friend of mine that is a beekeeper and he said that when bees see flowers they see a sort of arrow pointing to the pollen and if they dont see the flowers then they don't see the pollen, so open up the plants.

One last thing, forget about the paint brush technique, just cut the stem of the male flower 4-5 inches below the bud. Peel off the petal so all you have is the male part, and rub it all around the female flower. You should be able to pollinate 2-3 females from one male.

(I know it sounds perverted but this is how it works when there are no bees.)
It helps to dress like a bee and buzz around when doing this....okay not really....but you may get a good laugh from your neighbors.

Happy squashing. :)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image