Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#345120 Jun 6th, 2011 at 09:40 PM
OP Offline
I have a large, lush mat of ivy (I believe it is English Ivy) that I am in the process of transplanting, and I need some advice. We removed the ivy from its original spot (on the side of a slope underneath a Magnolia tree - the owner wanted it gone because she was afraid it would choke the tree) as a continuous mat about 10sq ft (cut into three sections for transport). The area we want to transplant it to is out front yard, which is a flat area contained on all sides with concrete. We loosened up the soil and incorporated some mulch, added slow release fertilizer pellets, wetted it down, and laid the ivy mat pieces on top (this was yesterday). Then we sprinkled some miracle grow potting soil on top of it (about 1/4 inch) and wetted it down again to try to semi-cover any exposed roots. I've been watering it twice a day, morning and evening, since then.

My question is, is this a reasonably good way to go about transplanting a mat of ivy, or is there something more/different that I can do to encourage it to take root successfuly? I've never done this before, and while I know ivy is hardy, I want to do the best job I can.

Thanks for any advice!

kimnoble #345121 Jun 6th, 2011 at 11:39 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, kim.
This is a pretty good way to transplant such an item. It may still go through some transplant shock and look pretty unhealthy for a while but I believe it will spring back with plenty of regular watering. Vitamin B helps with the shock sometimes.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
kimnoble #345138 Jun 7th, 2011 at 09:46 AM
OP Offline
Thanks, Tina! I think I will get a little more topsoil to sprinkle on there to make sure the roots are covered. I'm hoping the ivy will start looking better in a couple of weeks as it becomes established.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image