Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#344128 May 12th, 2011 at 03:12 AM
delrio Offline OP
OP Offline
From what I can gather from some of the posts, once you lay sod, St.Augustine in my case, it is almost impossible to get phosphorus down to the roots to lower the PH level of the soil. I understand that I need to put sulphur on it too. Is there a site where it will tell me what and how much to put down for sodded grass? I found tidbits on it here and there, but nothing that shows what combination I can put down together. Can I put superphosphate and sulphur together for example? Will this burn the grass?

bordergreen
delrio #344140 May 12th, 2011 at 11:20 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Have you taken a soil sample and sent it to your local university coop? Once you do that you will get back a report of what amendments you need to add and how much. Then with a phone call to their office the master gardener can answer all of your questions. The service is free unless you want extended tests which you won't need at this point. That's the best way to do it.

I'm sorry you layed the sod before amending the soil. That's always a problem and something I do all the time. Which probably explains why I loose about half of the plants I plant.

[Linked Image]
delrio #351432 Dec 27th, 2011 at 02:26 PM
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
St Augustine grass is sensitive to iron deficiency and readily develops chlorotic symptoms in alkaline or iron deficient soils. This deficiency can be corrected with foliar applications, iron sulfate or iron chelate.

Newly planted St Augustine sod will respond to phosphorous fertilizers in terms of an increased rate of spread. Potassium has been shown to increase root growth, cold tolerance and drought tolerance in St Augustine grass.

So long as fertility and drainage are adequate, St Augustine grass tolerates a wide range of soil types. St Augustine grass grows satisfactorily at a pH range from 5.0 to 8.5, but develops a chlorotic appearance in highly alkaline soils (above pH 7.5). It does not tolerate compacted or waterlogged soil conditions.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image