Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
#343525 Apr 20th, 2011 at 02:44 AM
OP Offline
Hey, I've had a catcus for years that has been remarkably hard to kill. However, I moved it to my office about a year ago. It did ok for most of the time, including growing a substancial amount but now seems to be dieing. It has had some brown areas for a long time, but in the last few days its gone down hill fast.

I don't know alot of about plants, however, I figured this owuld be the place to come for help! I was thinking perhaps it needs a larger pot with some better quality soil. What do you think? And.. at this point, what are the odds of reviving it?

I appreciate any help!

Image:
[Linked Image]

highamperage #343547 Apr 20th, 2011 at 11:35 PM
OP Offline
Well, I don't think this plant as is can be revived haha. It broke in half in the inside is hollow/rotted looking.

My next question is, can this type of cacti grow roots? If so, I will plant the top (good) part.

highamperage #343551 Apr 21st, 2011 at 03:01 AM
Good Afternoon:

We all get old and shrivel up............Take a clean sharp knife & dip it in 10% bleach.............Cut your cactus about an inch above the brown growth(well within the new normal green growth) & place the cutting in a moderately lighted area for about a week.....

After a week.......dip it in a small amount of rooting hormone & plant it about 2 inches deep, in a mixture of good potting soil & builders sand.....(50/50)..............Water it in good and place it in a sunny window or out on a south facing porch........They like the outdoors in spring & Summer............Water about once every two weeks in the Summer and once a month in the spring.......You should have a new Plant by the Fall.........

Busy Bee

May God Bless.

Busy Bee
highamperage #343567 Apr 22nd, 2011 at 01:51 AM
OP Offline
Awesome, thank you for the advice!

highamperage #344054 May 11th, 2011 at 02:05 AM
I agree. I am a gardener myself, I sell my plants and sometimes enter decorating contests. I just entered one with a cactus theme. I won 1st prize.

Last edited by afgreyparrot; May 11th, 2011 at 02:08 AM. Reason: ~removed signature link~

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image