Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#340405 Jan 25th, 2011 at 11:09 AM
OP Offline
Last year I made my first attempt at a flower bed out front. It was a huge success even though it was somewhat short lived. My only complaint is that the blooms for the most part started in May and were done and over with by early July.

What are some things I can plant that would bloom at different times? Maybe even a couple of things that would still be pretty in fall or early winter. I'm in zone 8b.
Right now I have two rose bushes (one yellow and one bright pink), gladiolus, and Lilies (my favorite!). Obviously I'm all about bulbs and things that will come back yearly. flwr

What kinds of plants bring color to your garden throughout the year???

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

* Crystal *

Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
One is Zinnias...throw the seeds down and they'll be up in no time and last until winter. I've actually had snow on my zinnias before here in Kentucky. And they come in every color you can imagine.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
zinnias are great for gardens

I agree .......it is 6:am I can get right on here..But not in day hours? Did you shut my daylight off, Cindy?
dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Nicotiana - flowering tobacco. It lasts forever, smells fantastic, needs no attention, and will reseed itself with abandon (maybe too much!). I didn't look up to see if it will be OK in your heat.

Sandy R.
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
8b is warmer than here so some of these may need to be chilled during the winter. But for early spring there are snow drops, crocuses (both spring and fall varities), daffodils, tulips, iris, And then to pick it up again in the fall are mums, and some types of lilies, you might be able to use coleus for their colored leaves if you have a shady location. Or if you have a moist location the Tropicanna cannas with their striped leaves can bring color even before they bloom in the summer. And everygreen shrubs can add nice architectural shape plus give winter color. Holly berries make nice winter color and great holiday decorations but it is an agressive plant that needs constant attention to keep it from traveling throughout your property.

I'm letting winter jasmine grow in one of my beds but I'm not sure you would want to use it, it is another agressive plant. Witchhazel if it will grow in your zone blooms in winter.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image