Print Thread
Rate Thread
#342910 Mar 26th, 2011 at 08:58 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
The doctor says she wants me on a low fat diet. I fry everything so I need alittle help here. Any recipes will be appreciated.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #342921 Mar 26th, 2011 at 11:32 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
how low fat do you want---and what meats do you like--I have been on a low fat--low sodium diet since 10-19-10. I can hopefully help

I have some good tricks too. I'll PM them to you.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
tkhooper #342925 Mar 26th, 2011 at 09:45 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I like chicken, pork, beef and combinations of the above.

I've been told not to take in more than 100g of fat a day.

I would love to know the tricks you have learned.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #342934 Mar 27th, 2011 at 06:41 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
last evening/night I wrote you a long PM with some recipe ideas.
Then I hit submit--well apparently I did not fill in all required fields--so when I went "back" to do so, all I saw was a blank message box----when I have some more time I will re-type that message to the best of my memory.

WOW !!! 100 g of fat in a day!!! that will be no problem for you.

I am on like 40-50 grams a day!!!

soon I will PM you come ideas

________

JunieGirl #342946 Mar 27th, 2011 at 01:52 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
sent a PM

also--you can use good oils like Olive oil,--there are inexpensive--good fat is ok but just not saturated fats
read this:
Saturated fat is in meat. Transfats are hydrogenated fats. They were made solid by adding hydrogen bonds...Trans fats are not good either.

use spray butter flavored pam or pam spray olive oil. they are both good choices.

For grilling: buy a george Forman "wanna be" indoor grill. I have a hamilton beach--same type but much much cheaper in price---spray the grill with pam B 4 grilling---this is esp good to cook say steak--I can use mine with the lid open or with it closed---open there is more surface area--There is a guide book to go with it to help give you pointers.

ALSO you can buy a iron 2 sided grill/griddle for the stove top at Walmart for like $20-$25.00. I have one of those & use the grill side a lot--it's easy to use--once again heat grill side per instructions & then spray with pam & use. (There is also a pam for grilling which affords a hotter cooking temperature to be used)---

remove most if not all extra visible fats from meats--remove skin from poultry.
My Dr says to not ever eat ANY typs hot dog, or sausages or salamis

I hope all of this helps

cutting the fats.skin & limiting the amt of oil used, cuts way down on fats in meats.

________

tkhooper #342948 Mar 27th, 2011 at 03:55 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I've noticed that it's the frying that makes the difference to the fat count.

I've always fried because it is quick and easy. That's why I have also snacked on meats and cheeses. Things are going to have to change around here I guess. Hopefully I can manage. I have a tendency to forget what I'm suppose to be doing.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #342949 Mar 27th, 2011 at 09:19 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
yes, frying, whole milk products, and say poulty skin.

any oily fish is good too, as it has the Omega 3 fatty acids which are good for a person. I have a healthy salomn patty recipe that uses canned salmon if you like. The resipe makes 2 patties (2 servings) and that would be your 2 required servings for the week. before this happened to me, I had not had salmon since grade school. It calles for corn flake crumbs but I use Panko instead because it is waht I have here on hand.

________

tkhooper #342955 Mar 27th, 2011 at 10:54 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
No I don't do the canned salmon but thanks for mentioning it.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #343111 Apr 3rd, 2011 at 01:07 PM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
definitely use olive oil for your pan frying!! it's SO much better for you than other frying fats!

always remove poultry skin BEFORE cooking!! cut your beef down to once a week or, better, once every 2 weeks and always trim off excess fat before cooking and focus on using leaner cuts. even then, beef really is full of 'bad' fats...

focus on chicken, turkey and pork as your main meats. the white meat of poultry is less fatty than the dark - turkey breast fillets are very easy to get these days...as easy to find as chicken breasts.

add more fish to your diet, too. salmon steaks are a fav of mine - they are high in fats though; even if they are the good kind! salmon fillets are a bit less fatty. tuna (fresh, not canned) and orange ruffy have nice flavor and aren't too fatty. trout, especially rainbow trout is another fav of mine - has excellent flavor!! i don't bother with flounder or tilapia - too bland for me.

the basic low-fat cooking that i do is bake stuff. roasts of meat; whole birds...and i use a good amount of herbs & spices to replace the flavor you get from frying...i also sometimes add some wine to the pan as well - adds a nice flavor to the meat!

the plus with cooking larger pieces is you do all the cooking at once; then cut & portion & freeze. defrost/reheat in microwave each day and that's an even better time-saver than pan-frying!

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image