Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with a problem plant please that I have just inherited from a deceased relative.

I should begin by saying I know nothing at all about plants, I have been told that is a variety of the Mother-in-Law's Tongue plant but every picture that I see on the internet seem to be of individual leaves growing from the base of the plant where mine is more like a very long tube of leaves that follow the malformation so i’m not sure.

I’ve always known of this plant in the house when I visited my uncle, it was a talking point obviously! and now its mine, scary thought, and it has been badly neglected for at least 25 years. It used to be straight, and about 7 years ago was half the size it is now. It has had a bit of a mad growth spurt in the intervening years. It did flower once about 15 years ago when I was a kid and the flowers matched those that are on the net for M-I-L plants.

It’s actually growing at an almost 45 degree angle now, and then bends back over itself with two more curves until the tip points vertically upwards. The problem is (apart from the obvious already stated!) that it is very unstable and i’m scared its going to snap at the root base if I don’t do something soon. I’ve uploaded some pictures as I’m probably not explaining all this very well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It has lived as long as I can remember on a windowsill facing the sun and I’ve put it in a similar situation. I moved it for the photo, it doesn't normally live on a kitchen worktop, it has to be propped against a wall for support or it will snap under its own weight. I think thats how it became bent as it hit the wall and it began to grow upwards last summer.
It would be far too tall if I staked it straight so I will need to cut it down if that’s at all possible but I have no idea how to do this. I really don't want to kill it.

Searching for information led me to a few sites on the internet and I've posted out a few appeals for help. If anyone could help with advice on what I can do to improve the poor things situation I’d be very grateful. Thank you in advance.

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I would say it needs repotted to start with,, they seem to thrive on neglect and little water, I had one bloom once as well,, doesn't happen often But it does happen,, thumbup
I can't explain the akward side growth,, Personally I would take it off and put it up right in the soil when you repot it in the next size up sized pot, using 1/2cactus soil & 1/2 potting soil, at least that is what I've always used,, and never had a problem.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
OP Offline
Thank you for the advice, I'll try that and let you know if it works out ok!

Yep... it's POT BOUND to much care without increasing it's ROOT room or dirt to grow into...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image