Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#342928 Mar 26th, 2011 at 11:46 PM
OP Offline
Hi all! I'm new to the forum. It's nice to have the support of a gardening community! This is my first year planting potatoes. I'm up in Ohio, so I just got them in the ground. I have not been able to find out whether I need to water them in when I plant them. I did not, as the ground seemed fairly moist. Should I though? Any advice? Many thanks!!

wavy
I watered my potatos every day for a week when I first planted them. Now that they are growing well I water them every 3 or 4 days giving them some time to dry out a little in between. This works well for me, but it may be different weather and soil in your area. If your soil was moist and it's not too hot just use your jugement but I would probably water it just a little bit for good measure to start the lil guys off right!
grin

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

* Crystal *

I planted potatoes for the first time last year and with great success I might add. I also watered very heavily for the first week (but I did that for the entire garden). Then it was as needed. The local Co-op told me that you don't want them sitting in water, but moist, well drained soil is perfect. Hope this helps.

How do you know it's time to dig them out if they are underground?

Hi there! I am new to this forum as well, and am also a first time potato grower with a question :)

My dad had given me 1/2 his seed potatoes several months ago, which I put in and seem to be doing well. However shortly after that, he went into the hospital and never got his planted. He recently got out and gave me his, as he won't be gardening for a bit, but I am wondering if I should bother at this time of year. They seem to still be plantable, but I live in MA so am not sure if they will even grow? If not, will they keep over the winter to plant in spring?

Thanks for any help! I am looking forward to checking out all these forums :)

Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
, will they keep over the winter to plant in spring?

I think they will, but I'm not a potato grower. I seem to recall back in the old days at the farm when we grew potatoes we kept some in a cool dry place and then planted them the next year. But, I might be wrong. If someone else tells you different then you should believe them and not me...LOL

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
ok I planmted potatoes for m any a year and I wll say this---I would take potatoes that I had grown the previous year and plant them i f I had not reaten them---they of course had sprouted byt I stuck them in the ground anyway---they did not do as good as new seed potatoes but hey they did ok , esp for being a year old. Abnd yes I kept them laying in a low sided box, not touching each other, in my basement.

I would go ahead & try it...
but as Cindy says if someone comes along & says something else well believe them first before me.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Originally Posted by JunieGirl

but as Cindy says if someone comes along & says something else well believe them first before me.
haha

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
haha bow I aim to please bow haha

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Thanks for the replies! I will keep them in the basement and see what happens...can't hurt to try! :)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,855
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,006
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image