Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#342665 Mar 17th, 2011 at 09:09 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Well first let me say I looked & all I could see is where Sheri I think it was closed WDYDITGT # 5--so I hope I didnt miss something--- why

Yesterday I cleaned out my front flower bed of all of the dead leaves & such. My Dafodills, crocus, wild violets (& 3 Hyacinth ) were much appreciative.

Then I got the rake & raked up 2 big buckets of leaves from aropund my front porch.---(who would have thought that someone without any 'real' trees in their yard would have to rake so much???)
Golly it felt good to do that-- hifive party
next project is the back yard flower beds---there will also be mulching to do there---

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
You go girl. I had to make a calendar for my yard work so I didn't get confused. I'm down to stacking logs, mulching leaves & and clearing brush.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
a calendar list--great idea TK Thanks for the idea!!!!!

________

10k Posts
10k Posts
teach Don't forget to check TGH's monthly reminders too!

Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Bill
teach Don't forget to check TGH's monthly reminders too!

yes sir...will do !!!

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
We've been getting the ground ready. Tomorrow I'm planing onion seeds and potatoes. May put out a few more lettuce and radish seeds too.

Besto are those bunching onions?
I'll be getting some bunching onions in a long rubbermaid soon and may need some tips.

I got some basils in some cells. That's all hehe

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Wow Bill that list was very long. I think there were some things I may have missed on there. I'm going to go back and check it again.

[Linked Image]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I don't know what bunching onions are.

I did plant the onions today as well as more lettuce, beets, carrots, potatoes and 6 Better Boy tomato plants someone gave Johnny. They're already about 10 inches high so I put them in the ground. I said last year that I was taking a season off from gardening. That thought lasted until it was time to plant.

10k Posts
10k Posts
Originally Posted by tkhooper
Wow Bill that list was very long. I think there were some things I may have missed on there. I'm going to go back and check it again.

I hope you discover some new plants to wish for... thumbup

old Today was national fern whacking day, so I whacked about thirty huge (6 ft.) Sword Ferns back to the ground. This winter's snow smashed them pretty bad. They will all have nice fresh foliage popping up soon.

Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by GardenInstructions
Besto are those bunching onions?

yes, please tell me what it is that you are calling a "bunching onion" ?/

I have had a garden about 29 years out of my 3i + years of marriage & my dad had one every year that I can remember before that---and I have no idea what they are either--

please do explain what they are... why

Last edited by JunieGirl; Mar 19th, 2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: yea for edit !!!

________

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
lol nooooooooo. I still have hundreds of seeds to plant, two types of nut trees, 2 types of fruit trees, an unspecified number of flowering trees to get and two expensive peonies to buy. I don't need anything else, but thanks for the thought.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Tonigjht after supper I went out to (once again) remove the leaves form my smaller flower bed in the front.

Now I could understand this if I had any real sized trees in my yard, which I do not---(I think the tallest one is like 15 ft tall.) Apparently the neighbors have learned to share... rolz

so from there I moved on to cutting down my last years "dead" flower stalks & removing invading weeds.

if you all remember I didnt get to do my fall clean up do to health issues.

Then I came in the house and transplanted 2 plants & also starte 3 pots of seeds. (2 patio tomatoes & 1 sweet basil.)

I officially announce that spring is here !!!! clown applaud shewinks

________

I just started making my garden into something decent and I figure I have at least two weeks of weeding and preperation to go. I pulled weeds and and removed debri :).

EDIT: Phase Two and end of gardening for today. I went and pulled some more roots, loosened up the soil and shifted it around a bit. I also started a little bit of a rock border (we used to have PVC piping. I hypothesized this would be a horrible idea many years ago. Lo and behold, it was. Ugliest thing when exposed to the elements.) I swept away the excess soil and went around and picked up any papers or plastic in my yard. I also started trying to control this weird long grass that I suspect is making our shrubs unhealthy. I watered the soil.

I wish I had taken a before picture, it already looks so much better!

Last edited by Cinder; Apr 9th, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
wow Cinder--sounds as if you have been one busy person!!!
keep up the good work--I bet it will be beautiful !!!

This afternoon when I got back form my DD's shower, I went out front & planted some dwarf Iris bulbs, & transplanted some wild violets from the yard to my flower bed there.

Then I went into the back & began weeding in my rock garden in the there & did more debris clearing from the flower bed there also.

Then, what do I see in "THE" window well??-----a froggie !! you could see the hole that he had just came out from his hibrirnation at. Yea for the froggie (& me)---

Last edited by JunieGirl; Apr 9th, 2011 at 11:43 AM.

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Mr. Frog must have heard you announce that it's officially spring!!

I have lettuce that is big enough to eat and radishes aren't far behind. I'm going to put out some squash this week. The potatoes, onions, carrots, beets aren't up yet. I hope the cold snap didn't hurt them. The peas are up in a few spots. It seems I don't have good luck with green peas.

Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
still chances of frost/freezes here yet. But I think I am going to plant some onion sets this next week--if I wait much longer it will be too hot--we seem to go from cold straight to hot here anymore---sheese---

________

Star Child
3k Posts
Star Child
3k Posts
This weekend the ground was finnaly thawed. couldn't get a shovel in last weekend. We weeded two more gardens found lots of iris' comming up and at least 8 groupings of tulips. I also saw something torpedo shaped coming up that is almost a peachy salmon colour. I'll have to wait to see what that is.
Its nice to have the leaves of the gardens adn it starting to look a bit less like the mess we got when we moved in.

Seeing as the ground was thawed we started digging up rocks from the border of the garden I thought most had been removed for other purposes but as it turned out the one garden along the side of the house that we did (about 50 feet) had rocks allthe way along but many were buried up to 4 inches. Makes me wonder when the last time they were seen and when the garden was properly cared for.

May the wind always be at your back
and your keel in the water
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
well Shani--I am sure that all the gardens will soon be looking better than they ever did, no matter when that was--
I know that you will enjoy yourself--keep us posted.

PS--I love pictures---

________

Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
tonight I weeded a bit more (never ending process, I'm afraid) and I planted some onion sets--& yes I know I am way late--if my dad could see me, he would be so upset---but hey better late than never---my tomatoes & basil are growing like weeds now----and in a few weeks I will be able to put them outdoors-yea!!!!

________

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I pulled some more radishes yesterday and have more lettuce that's ready to eat. We hilled the potatoes for the first time. They're coming up great. The green peas are coming up in spots. I even replanted them. I just must not have what it takes for growing green peas.

I have a packet of seeds that are labeled as "bunching onions". They look just like regular green onions. Not ones meant to get big and round. (seeds never came up for me so I can't tell you exactly.)

I had to pull up my 2nd round of radishes today that I planted two weeks ago. It is already too hot here and they aren't growing. First round did great...thank goodness I got them out extra early. Also have 2 pumpkin blossoms that opened up today. I pulled up the rest of my onions that I grew from sets. This is the first year I've done that...none grew very big. Thought they were supposed to all grow to 3 or 4 inches round but I don't really know what I'm doing I guess...lol. Still they are edible and that's what counts in my book.

Oh, and I'm planting several varieties of green beans where I just pulled up all the onions and radishes. Never grown those before but I've read they are supposed to be really easy. Of course, that's never been an indicator of success for me personally, but I'm hopeful.

Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
I grow blue lake bush beans, it's a green bean, and they are easy to grow. I've never had a problem with bugs on them. Sorry about your radishes. Mine are doing well this year as is the lettuce.

Today I planted tomatoes, basil around the tomatoes and dill where I'll put the squash.

10k Posts
10k Posts
Between working and rain and weeding and and more rain and mowing and and rain/hail/snow and re-weeding, I haven't done much in the garden worth mentioning. I did, however, do a little more work on the bird feeder and managed to get 25 of my Daylilies moved into the new display gardens...

[Linked Image]

BTW... while I was out taking that picture, Wild Willy wandered through and pointed here and mumbled something about inspiration and some new secret project... When I asked for details, he just told me to mind my own business, then wandered down the trail into the woods. why

[Linked Image]

Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I bet I know----or more aptly--I bet I have a pretty good idea-----When Wild Willy gets done you'll clue us in, right Bill ????

________

10k Posts
10k Posts
I'll take pictures of his progress, just in case he wants to use them for another Willy episode... its been a long time since I got him in a writing mood... but we can always hope... idea

10k Posts
10k Posts
I bet I have a pretty good idea-----

shock Oh yeah???? What then? why

10k Posts
10k Posts
Today, I dug a hole in the garden.... Its really cold out there!

A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
A Gnome's Best Friend
30k Posts
I'll take pictures of his progress, just in case he wants to use them for another Willy episode... its been a long time since I got him in a writing mood... but we can always hope... idea

I'm Hoping grin
you really get out there and brave the weather,, Snow rain sleet or hail,, Bill gets out there and tends to his gardening! Wish I had your energy,, thumbup

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."
Frogger
40k Posts
OP Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I bet I have a pretty good idea-----

shock Oh yeah???? What then? why

no, I will not say---I am thinking WW may just change his mind if I did happen to get it right---but I hereby promise to say if I was right or wrong--- :wink:

________

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
How did you plant your daylilies Bill? I have about 11 sprouts and would like to plant them in a clump but I don't know how to space them.

[Linked Image]
10k Posts
10k Posts
The best time to transplant or divide plants is in early spring or immediately after they finish flowering.
Dig the entire plant up and gently pull the leaf fans apart, with each division having a minimum of 3 fans.
Replant divisions 18"-36" apart.
(Newly divided plants may not flower the first summer)

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/daylily.html

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
And they do not bloom if they are rootbound. So lots of space between your seedlings, TK.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
10k Posts
10k Posts
blush oops....
I wasn't thinking of seedling sprouts...
I've gotten all of my Daylilies in gallon or larger pots and had a vision of their sprouts popping up in the spring.
I think I'd plant your seedlings about 2"-3" apart and see how that works out... But that's just my best guess...

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I was not correcting you, Bill. And I would still leave plenty of room even between seedlings so you wouldn't have to transplant/divide any too soon.
I have gotten my daylilies from larger pots or larger roots too. But I have transplanted many volunteer seedlings away from the parent plant.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I would plant those sprouts in groups of 3 (and one of 2) in a triangle with at least 10 inches between each.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
10k Posts
10k Posts
thumbup

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
So in a 10" Radius plant like the two in the center and then 10" out 1/3 distance from each other plant the 3 groupings of three? That will make a good clump? Like you my other daylily species were all mature plants when I planted them so this one I'm not at all sure about. I have to look up the stella dora and see what color it is. So far in the ditch bed I have the orange and a green.

[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Not exactly what I meant, TK. I really meant a group of 3 in a 10" isosceles triangle, then a few feet away, another group, etc. But if you truly want them all in one spot, still do isosceles triangles but plant the next groups only about 10-18 inches from the firs triangle. I hope that is clearer.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image