Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
lilitu Offline OP
OP Offline
hi and Happy Saturday!
i will do my best to make a long story short, and hopefully someone more experienced at home-owning/painting might have a helpful hint.
So i bought a house. previous homeowners were kind enough to splatter latex paint all over the white walls (assuming that's latex as well) in primary colors. Fun for them i'm sure, not so much for me.
So, someone convinced me that if I used a really nappy roller I could cover up those blotches and gobs w/ texture- well, that didn't work. The first coat went on, I wasn't happy, the second coat went on- and i got bubbles....
I had washed down the walls before putting on the first layer of new paint.
The second coat is what bubbled.
So after that 2nd coat of paint dried i went about sanding the walls- mostly to sand down the bubbles, but also to sand down a bit of the gobs. then washed down the walls, then dried them. Then I primed the walls w/ Kilz. Got some cans of "Valspar textured stone" which is probably what i should have done in the first place.
So now i'm texturing the walls- i figured it would hide any bubbles and it would hide the gobs. everything was going great a few hours ago, and now....I HAVE MORE BUBBLES appearing in the texture!!!
Does anyone have ANY idea what causes this? i was told if I primed this wouldn't happen. Ha- it did. Help me smart people! Help me!

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Bubbles during the drying process? Are you painting over wallpaper? Maybe if you could get a picture and post it here it would help. I don't think I'm seeing what is happening to your walls.

[Linked Image]
lilitu Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, there is definitely wallpaper under the painting done by the previous owners... The house was built in 1915, so I'm not sure how old the wallpaper is, it's possible it may have been painted over numerous times.
I'm technologically ignorant and will have to get back to you with a picture :)
I did finish all 4 walls, the first one bubbled the worst. It's all dry now, hopefully more bubbles won't show up boohoo
I've tried popping the bubbles that appeared before the texture dried with a pin, but i'm not sure how much it helped.
Thanks!

Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I hate to tell you this but what you need to do is take down the wallpaper because it will continue to bubble and then it will peel off.

When you are ready to do it you can either rent a steamer machine that will moisten the wall paper to make it easy to peel or you can get a load of newpapers and wet them and then put them on the walls and that will moisten the wall paper enough to make it easy to come off. Either way it is a great deal of work. But once that is done you can paint your walls without worring about the bubbling or the paper flaking off.

I bought a house two years ago and I'm pretty much going through the same thing you are. I've learned about patching vinyl siding, working with plumbing and when to call for help. Mostly though I've spent most of my time in the garden. I'm loving that part.

[Linked Image]
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
rent the steamer--I have removed wallpaper both ways And trust me you want the steamer--it makes short work of it ---esp. when you compare it to doing it yourself without the steamer.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
lilitu Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi again! Sorry for the hiatus ( and still no pictures blush )
Thanks for the posts regarding my issues. I appreciate it! BUT, can I still steam it off if it's layered with so much paint??
The wallpaper had been painted over at least twice (not counting the splatters) before I bought it, then[/i] i[i] painted, primed, and then did the texturing... whaddya think? why
the texturing ended up ok, even with a few bubbles, at this point, I'm so over it and ready to move on...I need to get a few more projects inside done before S-P-R-I-N-G flwr Hoo-RAY for fa-lowers!!!and eventually veggies clap

Thanks again!

p.s. Do how[/i] do [i] you patch vinyl siding? fidget

Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
I think it is worth a try---
I know I took off walpaper with paint over it BUT I can't remember if the rooom I steamed was painted over or not. I know the one room I steamed off was painted over--many times.

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image