Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#33901 Apr 29th, 2007 at 12:43 PM
OP Offline
I thought since everyone has pictures I should take some of my pond that everyone has been nice enough to help me with. It looks NOWHERE near as nice as everyone's but it's mine and I've put a lot of work into it. It is STILL green tho. I haven't been able to fix that problem. I have made the filters (I'm adding a second one as soon as I get it put together). I have used Algeafix by pond care and I have treated the water to make it all balanced and stuff. I have got a few plants going altho I need a lot more. Maybe one day I will have a pretty pond but for now this is it...

Hopefully these pictures turn out ok - I haven't posted many before.

My waterfall (aka a pile of rock)
[Linked Image]

One of my rescue cats taking a break from terrorizing EVERYTHING...
[Linked Image]

One of the 9 frogs in the pond (does anyone unnderstand how LOUD mating season is...)
[Linked Image]

Last edited by afgreyparrot; Apr 29th, 2007 at 01:17 PM. Reason: photos re-sized
Crystal_Rae #33906 Apr 29th, 2007 at 01:19 PM
OP Offline
The call of the wild...
[Linked Image]

The poor little pond...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by afgreyparrot; Apr 29th, 2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Divided pictures into 2 posts...too many photos for one post.
#33926 Apr 29th, 2007 at 02:12 PM
OP Offline
I've been working like crazy to get it going. I just came in to take a break - I've been planting flowers and grasses around it. It's a lot cleaner now but still needs some major work. I am half tempted to empty it again and start over.

I think it is about 540 gallons - it is roughly 6-7' wide (I think). My waterfall comes up to my chest. (I'm only 5'1" tho).

I actually have more fish in there but you can't see them. I have two gold fish - my one lone one from last year and a tiny one - I also have 1 shumbkin and I think 5 koi fish. I may have more than that I've only seen two that didn't make it so I should have more than that. They may just be hiding in the green...

Crystal_Rae #33937 Apr 29th, 2007 at 02:40 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
thats awsome!!! you did a great job!
i cleaned so much green junk outta my pond today it was scary!

[Linked Image]
sibyl #34038 Apr 29th, 2007 at 06:51 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
thumbup very good! it isn't near as green as it was, and you have fixed it up nicely. when you get more plants in there, it will clear up more. you just don't have enough plants for the amount of fish you have feeding the algae.

#34148 Apr 30th, 2007 at 01:20 AM
OP Offline
I am hoping the second filter will help. I also have a UV clarifier on it way in the mail. I was told those really help also. I am trying to figure out how to hide the filters better. I wish there was a way I could put the filters in like a holding tank area that's not in the pond so you couldn't see them but I guess once I get more plants it will hide them.

Once the water clears up I am going to put pebble in the bottom and I still need to work on the waterfall part. I need to get more rocks tho. I am running out and am down to the itty bitty ones.

At the right angle the water fall looks better than just the pile of rocks it looks like in the pictures. The top part is like a little stream and then it goes into the second part and the third part is more of a stream. I've been trying to find plants I can plant in the stream parts that won't get overly tall. I have a book that has a bunch in it but I can't find it.

Crystal_Rae #44992 May 15th, 2007 at 04:59 PM
500 Posts
500 Posts
I made a homemade filter and have yet to have to clean my winebarrel, whereas last year I was constantly cleaning it.

Container filled with batting and those green kitchen scrubbies cut into big pieces and a bag of precleaned lava rock (put in a bag of some sort like an onion bag). I've taken it out once and sprayed it with a hose until it was clean and was easy!

PattyM

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,813
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image