Print Thread
Rate Thread
#34026 Apr 29th, 2007 at 06:23 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
OP Offline
The Bird Man
5k Posts
Last fall I harvested the seeds from my Cannas and watched them die. I decided to chance it since I had TONS of seed, so did NOT dig up the rhyzomes, but left them in the ground. I was a bit worried since we had a slightly harsher Winter than normal, and that DEVASTATING spring freeze, but today I looked and to my astonishment, FIVE Cannas have sprouted for every ONE I had last Summer. And they are spreading! At this rate in a couple of years, I will have solid HEDGES made of Cannas each SUMMER! I am delighted!

[Linked Image]
Kingdoms RAGE and go to war...but the PEasants plant potatoes..

EARTH FIRST! (we'll strip-mine the OTHER planets later.)
1k Posts
1k Posts
I dug mine up and transplanted and then the freeze came and they still spouted. I think Canna are a little more hardy then you think.

[Linked Image]

One OS to rule them, one OS to find them: One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them in the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
5k Posts
5k Posts
clapthorny thats great! lucky you! :wink:

i left mine outside last year boohoo no way their gonna come back for me

[Linked Image]
#34135 Apr 29th, 2007 at 09:23 PM
The Bird Man
5k Posts
OP Offline
The Bird Man
5k Posts
They are RED Cannas, too! I quadrupled the number of hummers in my yard last Summer because of the Cannas. I can't wait to see how many come to the Cannas this year.

[Linked Image]

500 Posts
500 Posts
Yes cannas are hardier than people think. Especially Canna President that has a red flower. My neighbor has had hers in the garden for 12 years and never lifts them and they come back every year. We get serious winter weather. We have had below freezing some winters for 3 months and they still come back.

Do what you can where you are with what you have.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Congratulations. They really do multiple. The year I had them I started with six and at the end of the year I had 42. It was amazing.

[Linked Image]
The Bird Man
5k Posts
OP Offline
The Bird Man
5k Posts
I put out 30 that a neighbor gave me last year, and this year it looks like I'll have about 100-150. I also planted Balsam (Touch-me-nots) two years ago and they have reseeded themselves for the second year in a row! Once you plant Balsam, you NEVER get rid of them!

[Linked Image]

The Bird Man
5k Posts
OP Offline
The Bird Man
5k Posts
You have the BIG red Cannas, Cinta. My red Cannas are little tubular red flowers, more like long, skinny, Trumpet Creeper blossoms.

[Linked Image]

5k Posts
5k Posts
Originally Posted by cinta
Yes cannas are hardier than people think. Especially Canna President that has a red flower. My neighbor has had hers in the garden for 12 years and never lifts them and they come back every year. We get serious winter weather. We have had below freezing some winters for 3 months and they still come back.

shock cinta! wow! theres hope for me then??? i be checkin to see if mine come back. thumbup

[Linked Image]
2k Posts
2k Posts
Thorny yours are species type.I have some.They are seed setters.My orange species are already blooming have one open now and 2 more buds on others.I left my seedlings in ground from last year.they we're started late and have started sprouting.They did sprout after the tuber ones& I seem to have lost 2 from a trade or they just still sleeping,but have seeds from them(Robert ??Kemp??)
Good luck!
Anyone want seeds?I still have some.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image