Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#33965 Apr 29th, 2007 at 03:54 PM
jj9f Offline OP
OP Offline
I have germinated and am growing two Avacados and one Mango in pots. All three of these have two growths coming out of the soil. Is it normal for growths to come out of both sides of the seed?? In all cases one growth is larger than the other. Should I be cutting one back?

I don't know about the "cutting back" part, since my Mango only had one trunk grow out of the seed (from a grocery store mango, no less!) My tree is now 10 feet tall, lives in my greenhouse in the winter and has not yet borne fruit or bloomed. I do prune it occasionally just to shape it. I love growing tropicals!

2k Posts
2k Posts
I think avacado's form feet...then roots...then the stem.and can trim stem back to 6 inches when it reaches 1 foot.I grew one of these while in 8th grade.We did the water growing.I believe it takes 10 years for fruit. Teacher had 3 growing in one pot from another years class.

I've not had luck with mangos.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image