Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#338951 Jan 9th, 2011 at 05:11 AM
OP Offline
Hi all,

I recently bought a 30+ year old jade plant from a person's house contents sale. The woman said she's often sprayed it for pests over the years.

I do not have ANY previous experience with pests, as I'm fairly new to indoor plants. All i know is from looking at pictures online and doing a bit of reading.

1st:
When examining the leaves, there seem to be a lot of leftover carcasses (they seem dead or non-alive enough) on MANY of the leaves... mostly undersides, but on top as well. They're medium brown mounds, edges flush with the surface of the leaf.

2nd:
I'm getting a very fine cottony layer of white on some of the leaves, near the stem... but i don't see any big mealy bugs crawling around. Where this white cottony layer occurs, the leaf area starts darkening to a grey/purple.

3rd:
Among some of the trunks of my jade plant, and stretching across some nearby branches, are fine webs. If i look VERY closely, i can see tiny white critters nesting in these webs. Are they healthy NORMAL spiders... or evil spider mites, I'm wondering?

I'm attaching pictures that illustrate the 3 items above. Please chime in with your observations and suggestions.

Thank you!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Beginner_Wes #338956 Jan 9th, 2011 at 06:03 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, Wes.
I think the white powdery stuff is powdery mildew. I would remove each infected leaf as soon as it shows up. And make sure the plant is in a light and airy situation.
I do not know enough about insects to tell you what you may have. Whether they are regular spiders or evil ones they will still travel from place to place carrying that possible mildew to new surfaces.
I recommend an insecticidal soap. Go easy on the mixture. Jades have a waxy coating that help protect them and some soaps can break that down and cause more damage than good. I would use about have recommended strength and maybe more often than it says.
When the insects are taken care of then you can concentrate on the powdery mildew. For that you spray with club soda or a baking soda/water mix. It does work although it takes time.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Beginner_Wes #338985 Jan 9th, 2011 at 07:21 AM
OP Offline
Well... I started removing a whole bunch of the leaves that had the white fuzzy stuff, and inspecting them under the light. Didn't seen anything scurrying around on any of them. But i did pick up a leaf from the base of the pot that had fallen earlier... and there were a few TEENY TINY itsy bitsy light brown bugs racing around on it. Hm... adding that to my list of worries now. :(

Beginner_Wes #339040 Jan 9th, 2011 at 09:37 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
definitely have mildew/fungus situation(s) going on. the webs are probably regular spider webs...spider mites usually stay at the top of plant branches (they like the tender new growth) and their webs are more like single strands that drape over/back & forth rather than circular webs like spiders make.

removing affected leaves will help the mildew/fungus issues.

so will allowing the soil to completely dry out. jades are succulents and don't need a lot of watering to begin with and during winter time need even less...giving a bit of water once every 6 weeks is all that's needed until spring when it comes out of the dormant stage - then water every 2-3 weeks.

i wouldn't repot it right now - do that in the spring.

as for treating with something - i'd go with something that is anti-fungal. spider mites aren't visible to the eye, so, whatever you saw (the brown things) might be something that isn't harmful...can you get a pic possibly? or just a better description? size, how many legs, how fast they were, etc.

it's a really gorgeous plant - hopefully, whatever is wrong has been caught quickly enough and there won't be too much damage.

Zone 6b

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,861
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image