Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#338947 Jan 9th, 2011 at 04:10 AM
OP Offline
Ok, last year I grew tomatoes from seed and the plants were not good to say the least so I had to go and buy some. This year I am determined. My main question is, what kind of lighting do I use. Last year I just used a 4 foot 4 bulb fluorescent light and kept it just about 2" off of the plants. The plants did well for about a week and then slowly turned yellow, tall and lanky. I have read all kinds of info and am wondering if anyone has any success starting tomatoes indoors. Thanks.

christodave #340418 Jan 25th, 2011 at 01:21 PM
I used one cool and one warm flourescent bulb in each light fixture. In your case, two cool and two warm if should be on the light bulb box. I wondering if you might of over watered.

I only bottom water the plants. I put them in under the bed plastic totes and water them so that the water fertilizer mixture (do not add fertilizer to the water until they germinate) can be drawn up from the bottom. In addition, I usual chamomile tea in the mixture to help ward off damping off and I also put a little sand on top of the soil in each pot. Doing it this way keeps down on the fungus nats and keeps me from over watering.

In addition, I turn on a fan once or twice a day it strength the stems. You can also do this by blowing on them or lightly running your CLEAN hands over them. I do not rise the fixture more than two inches above them ever. Most important thing, ONLY USE SOIL LESS MIXTURE...using potting soil will make your life a living hell if you use it....to many pathogens in it to start seeds. I love Pro Mix by Premier. If you can find use it. Nice, light, and very clean.

TanyaM #340429 Jan 25th, 2011 at 09:03 PM
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
Sounds good all.
I just use a sunny window. Tomatoes are easy. Getting leggy is the problem, and white fly.
Who knows?

Thanks gang

dodge

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
TanyaM #340442 Jan 26th, 2011 at 05:25 AM
OP Offline
Thank you for the info. I will try what you said and see how it works. I did have nice small seedlings at first and they seemed to do really good for a couple of weeks and then the lowest leave turned yellow and fell off and then they just worked their way up the stem. Also they were very tall and leggy. Do you consider the watts or the K rating or just cool and warm bulbs? Again, thanks for the help and I will try your recommendations.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,861
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image