Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#24989 Apr 17th, 2007 at 03:31 PM
MHI Offline OP
OP Offline
I've had this beautiful pussy willow tree for about 2 months indoors now and it has started losing its leaves. I've transplanted it in hopes that it needed a larger pot, but the leaves keep drying up and falling off. I continue to water it the same as I always have but I don't want to lose it completely. Can anyone help?

The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
It's inside????

Do you have it near a heater vent?
Or a draft?

Too much direct sun beating down on it??
Or not enough??

Have you fertilized it lately?
If yes, what kind and what was the soil
like when you did it??????
*dry or moist*

Does your pot/container have drainage holes?????

What kind of soil is it in,
or that you repotted it into??
*and this was doing it before you re~potted it????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
MHI Offline OP
OP Offline
First let me thank you, Weezie and God bless you for answering me so quickly. Yes, the plant started losing its leaves before I repotted it. The leaves would start coming out and the ends would get dry looking and crumble up and fall off. Not at first though, at first the leaves just wouuldn't quit.They kept coming and coming. But then, they started looking funny. The soil the plant was initially in looked to me like regular potting soil, so that's what I used when I repotted it last week. Before I repotted it I put one of those "JOB" sticks in it to see if that would feed the ends of the leaves.I'm pretty sure the soil was moist when I put the Job sitck in.I left the Job stick in about 2 weeks. Then when I repotted it I took out the Job stick and just put it in the "Scotts" potting soil. I have it in the corner of a well lit room but not directly in a window. It is near a cold air return vent.We have forced air gas heating. Would that be a problem? I ususally tried to keep the soil moist and yes the pot did have drain holes, but I repotted it into a larger bucket without drain holes. It has only been in the bucket about a week. Is that bad? Does it need drain holes or not? I know most plants need the drain holes. Thank you again for taking the time to answer me.MHI

The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Sometimes I'm quicker than I think I am
and then sometimes, I get soooo far behind...
I think I'm first..

Always glad to help, when and if I can..

First I have to say, I have never grown a Pussywillow
tree in side before...
*we had them grow wild up on the hill where we lived
in the country*

But all of those things I asked, are basic... questions
to get down to what'zzzzz happenin' with your tree..

First off, growing them indoors, may already give you one strike against you.. *but again, I am no expert, and it very well could be done... so, don't give up hope on it yet.*

Usually the PW tree is grown in climates where it would have a winter/cold period, that may be one of your factors??
*not sure*
*Here in growing zone 5, it would sleep for the winter and
re~awaken in the very early spring*

Not sure of what soil it came in, but it might have been more suited for a plant/tree that doesn't really require extra special nutrients in it's soil.. they can grow in some pretty crappy soil out in the wild...
So, that may have been a factor.
*not sure*

The "JOBE STICKS" are really a big no~no, IMHO, for any plant, but one especially in such a small pot/container,
and being the type of plant it is..
***Those things can cause or create "HOT~SPOTS'", where there is one area only that has alllllll the fertilizers, and when the roots get near it, it's soooooo concentrated it burns the roots...

***and an FYI about if soil was dry or moist when putting in fertilizers, it should be moist... if you put fertilizer in dry soil, (meaning the plant might not of drank in awhile, will greedily drink up that fertilizer and again burn it's self cause it's so concentrated..
Soil should be watered the night before, and applied first thing in the mornings and less is always best with ferts'..***

The cold air thingie may be blowing on it,
it may have been burnt by direct sun, or it may have been
not enough for it..

YESSSSS, the larger pot/container you transplanted it too,
should have drainage holes..
**although PW trees do like wet feet and are often found around sources' of water, streams, etc.. same as regular willows, you even have to be careful those are not planted near your own ceptic system as they and their mighty roots have been known to drill right thru the lines, to get at the water source..

You don't happen to have a photo of your PW tree do you???

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it. - Bible - Hebrews 13:2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
MHI Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for all the information you gave me. I never knew that Jobe sticks are bad for potted plants. I really don't fertilize much at all. I have used it for my african violets but that has its own fertilizer.I'll remember about the watering at night and fertilizing in the a.m. thanks again.
Truthfully I wondered about not enough sunlight. When the weather was nice a few weeks back I tried taking it outside but now the weather has turned cold again so its back inside.

A picture of my weeping pussy willow tree when it was doing fine can be viewed at:
http://www.ncentral.com/~dimbrogno/weepingpw.jpg

Is this any help? I'll try to get my husband to take a picture of it now and but that on the site too. It looks about the same just with long stringy branches with no leaves!

The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Okay, again, not 100% sure but what
my guess might be is...
When it went thru the leaves dropping..
*that time would have normally been the time
it started to go to sleep at winter time*

and in the picture I see it's catkins,
the things that were white and puffy and soft..
and now are yellow and even more puffier..
(The bright yellow pollen appears on the catkins of male plants)

They come out in the spring time..
*(and one of the first signs of spring too)*

I do see new growth on the plant..
but also see that it appears to be a "weeping" variety..
*(the sweeping bent down main branches.)*

The one thing I do know a wee~bit about them
is that by it's position it's going to grow
straight up in the air.. and if allowed to grow
it will continue to grow up right and take over the
plant and the "weeping" part of it will be the dormant gene and let the dominate one take over *the one that would normally be in the wild*
(does that make sense a bit??)

My first thought is to get the plant outside
once the weather warms up and get it back into it's regular cycle..

May I ask why it's in a pot/container???
And can it be planted in the ground??

Weezie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
MHI Offline OP
OP Offline
What you're saying about the "weeping part of it being the dormat part and the straight up and down part taking over as the dominate part makes sense. I understand what you are saying there. Yes, as far as why the plant is in a pot is because I got the plant as a gift for Valentine's Day and the phamplet said not to plant it outside until the weather permited. I do hope to put it in the ground soon.
If I could, could I ask you to look at this next picture that my husband will put on to show you the plant now. Maybe you could tell from looking at it if it is dying or if maybe the leaves are falling off because its making more of the droopy branches??? I'll have the picture on this evening. Thanks again for your input.

For what's worth my thoughts are as follows... as has been pointed out willows grow near water, often times with their roots IN the water. One of the reasons that willows can do this is because the give off (respire) water all the time, thay can not close their stomata (pores)... therefore i am assuming that your tree is indeed drying out, i am not sure you can provivde enough water for this tree indoors. I agree that the best course of action is to get him in the ground outside. hope this is of some assistance.

The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Thanks Arctostaphylos!!!
Always appreciate your help!!

Originally Posted by MHI
If I could, could I ask you to look at this next picture that my husband will put on to show you the plant now.

Just post it and I'll get the notification that
you posted it...

Weezie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
MHI Offline OP
OP Offline
To ALL who have helped; thank you and God bless you. I am putting the plant in the ground today! It is suppose to stay relatively nice now so I've got to take the chance in order not to have it die. Thanks again I really appreciate the help. I did not want to see this plant die. It is so different. I really like it.MHI

The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Okay, I am hopin' I caught you in time...

I would strongly suggest you "harden" the plant off
first for a few days..
First it needs to get used to straight sunshine..
*it's never been into the sun, for any constant time
period..*
(and used to your inside home temps)

Also, it's never seen over night temps'...
it's always been sheltered in your home and needs to
get acclimated to those too..

Also, it needs to grow "wind" roots,
*it's never even swayed in the wind to develope
those kind of roots*

What I would suggest is.. to slowly *about 2 weeks*
get the plant used to outside..
Everyday, put it outside..
First right by the house, so it's sheltered by the most
strongest winds..
And in dappled shade..
Not too much sun at first, then each day push it out
more further away from shelter and from dappled sun to full sun...

Then leave out longer during the day, first a few hours,
and bring back in, then leave out all day..
and eventually into the chilling evening hours, but still bring it in..

Then once it's getting above 30's *well, depending where
you are, did I find that out? It could already be nice over night temps.. here in NY we're still getting 30's for over nighters...

Weezie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
MHI Offline OP
OP Offline
Wow, I almost dug my whole, then,I decided to wait till I got my dinner started. I came in and checked in just to see if anyone had written anything. And found your message. So, we live in NorthwestPA and I've had it outside all day but, right near the house. I've been taking it out the last few days for a few hours, so hopefully it will be okay. I will wait with my hole and do like you say. Thanks!

MHI Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay here is the second picture of the weeping pussy willow tree.

http://www.ncentral.com/~dimbrogno/weepingpw2.jpg

The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
YIKES!!!

Well, it doesn't look dead dead..
I think *and again I am no expert here..*

I have got to find my tree experts here..
Let me give them a jingle and see what they think...

Weezie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
MHI Offline OP
OP Offline
I will be grateful for any info, and again thanks for your time and interest. MHI

That's probably the best option at this point.

About leaves dropping inside, I'd merely have to guess, and my guess would be not enough natural light.

There can be big differences between plants.

Even with grass, there is a difference. Some do okay in shade, other's don't

Grasses like rye are called C3's and can't use more light than what's available on a cloudy day - which is more than shade, but less than sunny.

Grasses like Burmuda are C4's and can utilize extra sunlight.

Anyhow, there is a big difference in plants, and I can't recall ever seeing willow foliage outdoors that flourished in the shade.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon

Coast Redwood Photos
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I think the others have covered the issues, but what it amounts to is, evidently, the pussywillow just didn't like it indoors. Lack of light was probably a major issue. I'd keep it outdoors for a few more days in a spot where it can get sun all morning, but shade or dappled shade in the afternoon, and then get it planted. Keep it very well watered, you can't really overdo. When you plant it, don't fertilize and don't amend the soil, but make sure the soil isn't solid clay where you want to plant it, and it should be alright.

dave
MHI Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, to all who have helped me so much with my weeping pussy willow tree, I have GREAT news! I've had it outdoors ever since I read to start putting it outside (actually a few days before for short periods of time hoping that would help). Now, just yesterday, I checked in on it and I found new buds all over the plant!!!! Some even the green leaves are sprouting out of the bud. I couldn't be happier! Thanks again to everyone of you who took the time to help me. No more "Jobe Sticks" for me and the soil where I put it is nice rich dark soil. Thanks again to all of you. MHI

The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Always glad to help...

*FYI, don't make the soil to rich
in nutrients' though.. they can take
regular garden soil and too much stuff
can make them get sickly, ie; attrack bugs too*

And keep it in full sun, with moist soil...

And also, watch out for leaf rust and stem cankers which
kill those types of trees.....

And to Prune, cut off any the ends of branches to keep them off of the ground. Quickly remove any shoots that begin to form below the graft point of those trees *the bottom part
is a regular willow.

Last edited by weezie13; Apr 28th, 2007 at 09:20 AM. Reason: added more info

Weezie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
MHI Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay thanks for the FYI. I will look up what rust leaf and stem cankers are so that I can keep an eye out for them. Also, I didn't know to cut the branches shorter, some of the branches on my tree are touching the ground and I know what you are talking about to watch and remove any shoots trying to form below the graft point. Thanks again.MHI

The Compost Queen
30k Posts
The Compost Queen
30k Posts
Please keep us posted on how your tree is doing..
That's half the fun of helping gardener's is
seeing the outcome or updates :list: ..
*good angel or bad devil, that's how we all learn flwr *

Weezie

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,810
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image