Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#337127 Dec 17th, 2010 at 01:40 AM
tcman Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

I have a jade plant that was about 15 inches tall and about 10 inches wide.
I pruned some of it's branches and repotted those branches into several different pots to propagate them. What I'm finding odd is the that although I used the same soil in each of the different pots, the little propagated plants are growing back all differently. Some of them are coming back long and lanky like a vine, some are growing like a miniature tree, and some are coming back not like a tree but a small healthy plant. They all look like they are different variety of jade, yet they are all really from the same parent plant. Even the shape of their leaves are different. Some of the leaves are long, and some are round, and some are in between. They are all indoors and facing the south windows of my house. The only real difference is some are on the 2nd floor and some are on the 1st. I water and fertilize them at the same time using the same amount of fertilizer and roughly the same amount of water.

Does anyone know why each of my jade plants are growing back so differently? It's an odd mystery to me.

Thanks.

tcman #337128 Dec 17th, 2010 at 01:40 AM
tcman Offline OP
OP Offline
Tcman

tcman #337133 Dec 17th, 2010 at 02:28 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome TCman. I don't grow jades in pots. Here they will grow in the ground for me and become fairly large shrubs. When the leaves fall to the ground they will often start new plants on their own and they are often different to begin with. I think it is light conditions or something. If I take the babies and transplant them to other areas, they straighten up their act and begin to act more normally. But it still often depends on the light situation wherever they are.
Good luck with yours!

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #337240 Dec 18th, 2010 at 11:42 AM
Deep Purple
2k Posts
Deep Purple
2k Posts
hey, tc!

the fact that you have some of the planted cuttings on the first floor and some on the second is the reason there are differences in the new growth. even though everything is facing the same direction, the amount of light received will be different from one floor to the one above...and that is with regard to how much sunlight hits the plants as well as how long they are getting the sunlight on them.

unless you actually measure out how much water is going to go into each pot, you may also giving differing amounts of water and that's also going to affect growth patterns.

they only need just a touch of water every 6 weeks this time of year - get back to watering every 2-3 weeks once spring is in full swing.

Zone 6b
tcman #350148 Nov 24th, 2011 at 04:04 PM
The way that each jade tree grows from cuttings differs because the lower branches in nature are designed to droop down and touch the ground and then new shoots will pop up from these stems and the leaves. If you want all of your new trees to grow the same get them all from the same part of the main tree.

Every plant started out as a seed ,and then came the waiting game.
tcman #350831 Dec 14th, 2011 at 08:31 PM
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jean_Smith
Unregistered
Jade plants are slightly finicky, but given the conditions they need, they are a good houseplant that will last for years and years. Many times when they are grown as houseplants they don't bloom, or at least not until they are very old. In their native environment jade plants can grow up to 10 foot tall. growing jade plants much and the plant isn't very happy. The soil should not become bone dry, but yet you don't want it to be moist either. I water a little more in the winter since it's so dry in the house. Light can be bright to average, but in the summer you may want to avoid the hot direct sun. A sunny southern window is great in the winter.

The potting soil should be average with a little sand added. Start out with a small, inexpensive Jade plant to try it out; they grow at a nice pace, as most succulents do if given enough light and the right conditions.

Always prune just above a leaf node. The stem will die back to the node, so there is no reason to leave any more than necessary. Jades will almost always branch at the node you just pruned above. So, if you want it to branch in a particular spot, prune just above that node. You can prune as little or as much as you want. You could prune all the way down to the soil, and as long as the plant had some roots to begin with, and is kept warm, it will produce new leaves and go right back to growing. spring and early summer are the best time to prune.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image