Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#30879 Apr 25th, 2007 at 10:46 AM
OP Offline
I live in South Carolina. Last year we spent a crazy amount of money to install new landscape beds and then fought Japanese Beetles for better than 2 months. Does anybody know how to prevent them from even taking the first bite? They love my Japanese Cherry (ironic right?). bop Also what about deer and Hawthorne? I tried buying some stuff at Lowes but they just eat the new growth faster than I can get out there to spray it (the spray is NASTY-a mixture of cayenne pepper and some kind of poo)!

Boudeccea #33261 Apr 28th, 2007 at 09:41 AM
Do 2 things:

1 - Buy a japanesse beetle trap and follow the directions. They DO WORK and you WILL catch THOUSANDS of them, I do every year.

2 - Buy Grubex and use that to kill the larva which is down in the grass RIGHT NOW. You apply the granuals with a spreader. Also you could buy Milky spore and spread that down but that will take several years to start really working well.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
TomR #33574 Apr 28th, 2007 at 10:13 PM
5k Posts
5k Posts
i wouldnt buy the traps, i hear they work to well, you will be getting your neighbors beetles as well, from miles around. so if you do get the traps be prepared to buy lots and lots, i know people who tryed it and ended up with even more j-beetles cause it atracts them from miles around.

i just flick em in soapy water, bringing in benifical bugs help in a big way. wasps, praying mantis, ground beetles,ect,

i always wanted to try the milky spore! herd its good for getting rid of grubs to.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,868
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image