Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#300878 Nov 28th, 2009 at 07:43 PM
OP Offline
Hey everyone, I have a problem with an indoor avocado tree that I've been raising. It all started six months ago...

The tree was showing browning tips on the ends of all it's leaves but it was minor so I didn't worry too much about it. As time went on the ends of the trees branches started turning black and the leaves started dieing. I replanted it assuming it was a soil problem. After I replanted the tree, the dark color spread eventually taking all the green out of the tree. Now I have a brown tree with no leaves.

During the transplant we figured out that the problem was root rot. We could tell because the roots were obviously rotting. The transplant happened a month ago and the blackness in the tree has faded to a dry brown except for the bottom of the trunk which is still pretty dark. I've drastically reduced my watering now that I know that it's root rot.

Anyways, the tree went from a full green flexible tree to a brown stiff tree with no leaves. I'm posting this because I have no idea how to tell if the tree is dead. The black having faded to a brown gives me hope that the tree is still alive, but the dry stiffness leads me to believe that it may just be drying out. Also, my trees trunk was originally green not brown.

I grew this tree as an indoor plant 7 years ago and I won't give up on it if theres a small chance that it may recover. The transplant happened a month ago, which isn't too long ago. It's really depresses me how deathly it looks, and I can't tell if it's already gone. So my questions are:

1. Does my tree still have a chance of recovery in the state it's in.

2. If the plant does have a chance, what advice can you give me on how to save it.

3. Would you like me to post some pictures of it?

JHenderson #303925 Jan 26th, 2010 at 12:00 PM
The Gnome
3k Posts
The Gnome
3k Posts
up

JHenderson #334186 Nov 3rd, 2010 at 03:08 PM
RWeb
Unregistered
RWeb
Unregistered
Hi J,
If your able to post some photos up and maybe some close-up of any dying leaves - that would be a great help.

Last edited by RWeb; Nov 3rd, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
JHenderson #334217 Nov 4th, 2010 at 05:27 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I had one do that. It was not as old as yours. Inspite, of keeping it around a full growing season it never put on a leaf so I had to say good bye and start another one. I would suggest you do the same.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in November
Gardening in December
Gardening in January

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,787
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,005
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image