#332525 Oct 8th, 2010 at 06:40 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
wavy

This thread is for everybody -- those who cook squash and those who'd like to learn. We can post recipes & ask/answer questions to our hearts content! nooo

Here are my easy directions for

Spaghetti Squash

Cut squash in half, long ways.
Clean out seeds & seed fiber.
Place CUT SIDE DOWN in oven safe casserole pan.
Add 1 inch water.
Cover pan tightly w/ aluminum foil.
Place in 350 degree oven for 45-60 minutes.
Remove from oven and VERY CAREFULLY LIFT EDGE OF FOIL TO VENT STEAM!
Using a pot holder, lift one of the cut halves out of casserole pan & Stand upright over plate. It will be soft & you will work quickly. Using a fork, scrape all the cooked flesh out of the skin. It will fall in long strands, like spaghetti, removing very easily from outer skin.

Half of a spaghetti squash is plenty for Maxi & I, so I save the cooked other half for another meal. Scraped out of the skin, the squash can be reheated in the microwave or added to something else you are making. It remains delicious as a leftover so don't worry about that!

I know other people peel it raw & boil it somehow. If you know how to do that, please post the recipe here. Some people serve spaghetti squash w/ spaghetti sauce. If you do, please explain how. Maxi and I like it plain w/ butter, salt & pepper.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
The other heart was given to another for us to find.
Merme #332526 Oct 8th, 2010 at 06:47 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Butternut Squash

Here is our favorite way to prepare Butternut Squash.

Cut squash in half lengthwise.
Clean out seeds & seed fibers.

Place CUT SIDE UP in oven safe casserole dish.

In the hollowed out bowl part of the squash, add a pat of butter. Add a few slices of banana. Add a section or two of orange.

Place one inch of water in bottom of casserole.
Cover tightly with aluminum foil.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes.

Remove from oven and carefully remove foil, then plate.

It is really YUMMY to fork mash the bowl area where the orange & banana were baked into the squash.

If using small butternut squash, I plan 1/2 per person. For the larger squash, 1/2 will feed two people.

You can also substitute some orange juice if you don't have fresh orange & even use a bit of juice when you mash the squash.

If you prepare Butternut Squash differently, please let us know how!

Last edited by Merme; Oct 8th, 2010 at 06:49 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We were given two hands to hold, two eyes to see, two ears to listen & two legs to walk. But why were we given only one heart?
Merme #332528 Oct 8th, 2010 at 06:55 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Acorn Squash

Here is how we like to prepare Acorn Squash.

Cut squash in half crosswise so you have two bowls.
Clean out seeds & seed fibers.

Place squash CUT SIDE UP in oven safe casserole pan.

Into the bowls add a pat of butter.
Add 1/2 or 1 teaspoon of sugar.
Add a dash of nutmeg.
Add a pinch of cinnamon.
For very fancy meals, add a few raisins and chopped walnuts.

Add 1 inch water to pan & cover tightly with aluminun foil.

Bake in 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes.

Remove from oven and VERY CAREFULLY lift foil to vent steam.

Plate squash as is.

We usually buy the smaller acorn squash, so 1/2 is one serving.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332531 Oct 8th, 2010 at 08:40 AM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
I have a hard time cutting spaghetti squash so I cook it whole. You just poke some holes into it with a fork, place in a baking pan and cook at 375 for an hour. Now you can easily cut it but it's hot so you might need to let it cool or use a mitt or something to handle it with. Cut lengthwise and remove seeds and stuff. Then you do the same thing as what Merme said, you just drag a fork from top to bottom to "shred" the squash into spaghetti strands. I use it in place of pasta but it has many uses and could be eaten by itself too.

I, being the wimp that I am, also could not cut acorn squash. I poked some holes in it and microwaved it for 2 minutes. After letting it cool off enough to tough I then was able to cut it in half. I cut acorn squash lengthwise and you still get two bowls. Then put it in a baking pan, cut side up, and bake for an hour at 400 degrees. I loved the acorn squash, my favorite so far. I mixed in a little brown sugar and a tad of canola oil (my butter substitute) and loved it.

I made my first butternut squash last night and I pretty much did the same thing as Merme but I didn't cover it. I brushed it with olive oil and sprinkled cinnamon on before cooking. It was pretty good but I'm not sure it was cooked all the way.

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

Plant smiles, grow giggles, harvest love.
chermoni #332536 Oct 8th, 2010 at 09:15 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Thank yo uladies--I will try this soon.
The kids are coming over to eat tomorrow, I think the squash will be one of my sides-- thumbup

________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
Merme #332542 Oct 8th, 2010 at 10:13 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I like my squash pureed into a soup.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
Merme #332545 Oct 8th, 2010 at 01:57 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Tamara will you please post your squash soup recipe?

Last edited by Merme; Oct 8th, 2010 at 02:01 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332546 Oct 8th, 2010 at 02:10 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
flwr Cutting Squash? flwr

For those of you who find it difficult to cut squash and you really want it cut, I have two suggestions.

If you are going to cook it the same day you buy it, you can always ask the produce department of your grocery to cut it for you. They will cut it (for free) and put it in plastic wrap for you.

If you want to try to cut it by yourself, try this:

Pierce the squash using a solid, sharp knife -- one that doesn't have a flimsy blade.

Once you've pierced it, bring the knife down in a rocking motion, raising & lowering the knife all the way around in as straight a line as you can. If you didn't quite cut deeply enough on the first pass, go around again.

Once you get a goodly portion cut, you can snap the squash open & it will open on the cut line you've made.

I have very very limited hand & arm strength although we've tried to rehab my hands several times and I am able to cut the squash myself using this techni1que.

Be sure to keep your fingers out of the way of the knife!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332561 Oct 8th, 2010 at 08:49 PM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme

Be sure to keep your fingers out of the way of the knife!!

Oh...gee...that's the part I can never remember. boohoo

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Merme #332562 Oct 8th, 2010 at 09:09 PM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I was thinking of you the whole time reading this, Cindy.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Merme #332571 Oct 8th, 2010 at 10:17 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Pumpkin Soup

This nifty little soup is quick, easy to make and really quite delicious.... perfect for this time of year too.

Ingredients:

2 cans of chicken broth
can of pumpkin
can of evaporated milk
fresh garlic
small onion, minced (Optional)

Directions:

Pour chicken broth into small stock pot/soup pan. Add 1 clove garlic that has been put through a press or minced & smashed w/ the side of a knife blade. Add minced onion, if using onion. Add can of pumpkin & bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Add can of evaporated soup & stir constantly until heated through. Serve immediately.

DELICIOUS!

You can substitute fresh pumpkin for the canned but you will have to estimate quantity, figuring that one can of canned pumpkin is less than 1 pound. You want the soup to be very thick but it must still be soup. Also, you'd have to adjust the cooking time to allow the pumpkin to cook through before adding the evaporated milk. You might even want to cook it separately and puree it before adding to the chicken broth.

Last edited by Merme; Oct 8th, 2010 at 10:18 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332572 Oct 8th, 2010 at 10:31 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Fancy Pork Stuffed Acorn Squash

This is a nice fancy dish which serves two...

Ingredients:

1 acorn squash
1/2 lb ground pork (or ground turkey)
about 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
about 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup applesauce
1 slice bread, cubed (you can use raisin bread or whole wheat also)
dash of ground cinnamon

Some people add 1/4 teaspoon curry, but I do not.

Directions:

Cut acorn squash in half, lengthwise.
Clean out seeds & seed fiber.
Place squash in oven safe casserole dish, cut side down, adding 1 inch of water. Cover tightly w/ foil & bake in 350 degree oven for 50 minutes.

While the squash is baking, prepare pork (or turkey) stuffing.

In a large frying pan, add pork (or turkey), celery & onion. Cook until meat is browned & vegetables are tender. Drain off fat. Stir in cinnamon, applesauce & bread cubes.

When squash is finished baking, remove from oven & CAREFULLY lift foil to vent steam. Turn squash halves over so cut side is up, being gentle w/ them so they don't break apart.

When the squash is cut side up, stuff the bowls w/ the pork (or turkey) stuffing you've made and return to hot oven for 20 minutes more.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332575 Oct 8th, 2010 at 11:58 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Moroccan Tagine

This is a very yummy chicken & butternut squash dish. It is simple to make, using one pan.

Ingreidents

2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, halved & cut into cubes
1 small butternut squash, peeled & chopped
1 can garbonzo beans, drained & rinsed
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 can vegetable broth (or equivalent amount of bouillion in water)
1 can diced tomatoes w/ juice
1 carrot peeled & finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, run through a press or minced & mashed
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon corriander
dash of cayanne pepper (optional)

Directions:

Using a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken, onion & garlic. Cook 15 minutes until chicken is browned.

Now add all the vegetables, spices, sugar & lemon juice, stirring well.

Bring mixture to a boil and cook for 30 more minutes.

This basic recipe is very delicious as is, but many cooks enjoy creative variations of it, adding such things as ginger root or apricots. Some add green peppers or cauliflower. You can switch types of beans as well. Try the basic & then have fun altering it for yourself!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332576 Oct 9th, 2010 at 12:17 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Butternut Supreme-o

This is a rather excellent side dish you will enjoy serving even to guests or for that "special meal". It is also quite inexpensive & easy to make.

Ingredients:

about 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled & cubed (can use frozen)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (you may also use Sharp cheese or a Monteray Jack)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 eggs, well beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup crushed Ritz crackers
2 Tablespoons butter
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

Put peeled & cubed squash in a sauce pan & add water to cover. Put over high heat & bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover with a lid & allow squash to simmer about 20 minutes or until very tender. When squash is tender, drain well & place in a large heat resistant bowl. Mash. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, mix eggs, cheese, milk, onion, salt & pepper. Stir well and then combine this with the mashed squash and mix well.

Grease a 2 quart baking dish. Put mashed squash mixture into baking dish & sprinkle w/ crumbled Ritz crackers. Dot dabs of butter across top of casserole.

Place in 350 degree oven & bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean.

Serves 6

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332577 Oct 9th, 2010 at 01:23 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Exotic Red Lentil Butternut Soup (A Vegan Recipe)

This recipe calls for Fenugreek seeds which is a common spice used in curries. Yes, it is a bit exotic and you can choose to omit it from the recipe if you can't find it in your area.

Ingredients:

2 cups water
1 cup dry Red Lentils
1 cup butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
1 small onion, very finely chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 can coconut milk (14 oz)
2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 Tablespoon peanut oil
1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 pinch fenugreek seeds
Salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

Heat the peanut oil in a large pot. Add onion, garlic, fenugreek seeds, and ginger. Cook over medium heat until the onion is tender.

Add the squash, cilantro and lentils into the pot. Stir in the water, tomato paste & coconut milk. Add seasonings of curry powder, nutmeg, cayenne, salt & pepper. Stir well. Bring to a boil then turn heat down to low.

Simmer 30 minutes or until lentils & squash are tender.

Serves 4

This is a wonderful recipe which can be easily adjusted to suit. Peanut oil can be omitted for those allergic to it & olive oil used instead. Non-vegans might enjoy using 2 cups chicken broth instead of the 2 cups water. I do not care for cilantro, so I use a very light hand with it, so you can feel free to punch it up to a more spicey dish or less to taste.

Last edited by Merme; Oct 9th, 2010 at 01:28 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332617 Oct 9th, 2010 at 12:52 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Cheesy Spaghetti Squash & Vegetable Fiesta

Ingredients:

Spaghetti squash, cut in half & seeded
1 1/2 cups tomatoes, chopped well
1 clove of garlic, pressed or minced
3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
3 Tablespoons black olives, sliced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons basil

Directions:

Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, place cut side down in baking dish. Add 1 inch water and cover tightly with foil. Place in a 350 degree oven & bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, carefully lift foil to vent steam & set the squash aside to cool.

While the squash is cooling, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion & sautee until tender. Add garlic & cook a few minutes more. Add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are heated through, then remove from heat.

Now, using a fork, scrape the spaghetti squash flesh into a large serving bowl. It will remove in long strands. Now add the cooked vegetable mixture. Add cheese, olives & basil. Mix very well & serve warm.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332620 Oct 9th, 2010 at 01:17 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Lasagna

This recipe requires nearly 2 hours what with prep time and baking time, but it is a hardy meal perfect for family or quests.... maybe for a Saturday night?

This is very much a kid friendly recipe! They love it!

Ingredients:

1 Spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise & seeded
2 cans stewed tomatoes (14 oz each)
1 can black olives (15 oz), finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup Parmesean cheese, shredded or ground
2 Tablespoons garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon basil
1 vegetable bouillion cube
pepper to taste

Directions:

Prepare squash by cutting in half, cleaning out the seeds & fibers. Place cut side down in baking dish, add 1 inch of water, cover tightly with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-45 minutes. Remove from oven, carefully lift foil to vent steam, and set aside to cool.

While squash is cooling, spray a skillet with non-stick spray or use a few drops of olive oil to coat pan. Over medium heat, saute onion & garlic until golden brown. Add basil, tomatoes, bouillion, and pepper. Stir well and cook for about 15 minutes until the sauce is thick.

Now here is the difficult part.

CAREFULLY lift a half of the squash and using a fork shred the flesh into long strands into a bowl being VERY GENTLE so as not to break the shell. CAREFULLY SET THE SHELL INTO A CASSEROLE PAN.

Now you will make layers of the foods into the shells. Make layers in this order:

A spoonful of the sauce into the bottom of the shells.
A layer of the spaghetti squash strands
A layer of the olives & Mozzarella cheese
A layer of the sauce again...

repeat these layers until the shells are full or all ingredients are used.

Top each stuffed shell w/ Parmesean cheese.

Return stuffed shells to oven & bake for 20 minutes or until the Parmesean cheese melts.

Serve and enjoy!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332621 Oct 9th, 2010 at 01:33 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
How To Cook Pumpkin, The Lovely Winter Squash

Pumpkin is fairly easy to cook for many uses and even to freeze for later use.

Here is an equivalent to help you guage your estimates for use. A 5 pound pumpkin will usually yield about 4 1/2 cups of mashed, cooked pumpkin. A can of pumpkin (15-16 oz) will yield 2 cups pumpkin.

There are several easy ways to cook pumpkin.

TO STEAM:

You will need a steamer or a metal colander which will fit into a pot of boiling water covered with a lid.

Cut pumpkin in half, remove seeds & fibers. Slice into smaller pieces and peel the pumpkin. After peeling, you can also cut down into even smaller pieces.

Place cut, peeled pieces into steamer or colander. Place over boiling water & cover with lid. Steam for 20 minutes until tender. Remove from steam and mash. You can also put the mashed pumpkin into a blender, food processor or food mill and puree.

TO BOIL:

Halve the pumpkin, remove seeds & fibers. Slice into smaller pieces and peel. After peeling, you can cut the pieces down even smaller.

Place cut, peeled pieces into a large pot. Fill with water to cover & add a dash of salt. Boil for 25 minutes or until tender.

Remove from heat. Strain. Mash. Now you can put mashed pumpkin in a blender, food processor or food mill and puree.

TO FREEZE:

Freeing cooked, mashed pumpkin is easy. Use clean freezer containers or bags. When mashed pumpkin is completely cooled, place into containers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Freeze.

Last edited by Merme; Oct 9th, 2010 at 01:54 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332624 Oct 9th, 2010 at 01:53 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Calabaza Squash, Mexican Style

In this recipe you can use Calabaza Squash or substitute Zuchinni Squash.

Ingredients:

2 calabaza squash or 3 zuchinni squash, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
2 Tablespoons butter
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can green chiles, drained, seeded & chopped
3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions:

Melt butter in a large skillet. Add squash, garlic & onion then sautee about 10 minutes until squash is tender.

Stir in corn & chiles. Mix very well.

Spoon mixture into a 1 qt casserole. Top w/ the shredded cheese.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Serves 6

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332632 Oct 9th, 2010 at 03:08 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Ground Beef Stuffed Acorn Squash

Serves 6 and very YUMMY!

Ingredients:

3 acorn squash
water

Filling:

1 lb ground beef
1 egg, well beaten
1 medium onion, minced
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup Russian style salad dressing
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

Glaze:

1/4 cup Russian salad dressing
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar

Directions:

Cut squash in half, remove seeds & fiber. Place cut side down in baking dish & add one inch of water, Cover tightly with foil and bake in 350 degree oven for 30 mintues.

While the squash is steaming in the oven, make the filling.

Using a large bowl, simply combine all the filling ingredients, mixing well.

When squash is finished in the oven, remove foil CAREFULLY to vent steam, then turn squash cut side UP, working carefully so as not to break the squash.

Spoon filling mixture into squash halves, evenly distributing among the six bowls.

Now combine glaze ingredients in a small bowl & glaze the tops of the stuffed squash halves.

Increase oven temperature to 375 and return squash to oven. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, glazing again every 15 minutes.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332634 Oct 9th, 2010 at 03:26 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Pasta Sage Butternut Squash

This simple recipe is quite delicious and you can also substitute fresh pumpkin for the butternut. You could also add cooked white beans for extra protein.

It is also pretty because you can use any of the ruffled pasta varieties such as Farfalle, Rombi, or any of the flat pastas.

Ingredients:

1 medium Butternut squash, about 2 lbs. (or pumpkin)
1 large onion, finely chopped
8 oz of rombi or other ruffled pasta
3 or 4 Tablespoons of olive oil
4 Tablespoons of butter
24 sage leaves
2 cloves of garlic, pressed or minced
1/2 cup Paremesan cheese, ground or shredded
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

Peel squash or pumpkin and then cut into small pieces about 1 inch cubes, discarding seeds & fibers. Place cut pieces into a baking dish and add onion, olive oil and pepper. Place in oven & roast for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large pot boil the pasta until tender. Drain & rinse, then set aside.

Next, in a large skillet, over medium heat, melt butter and add sage. Cook until the butter turns medium brown, then add garlic and cook another minute or so. Remove pan from heat so butter doesn't burn. Using a slotted spoon, remove sage leaves and put on a plate so you can easily crumble them up. Once crumbled, return them to the butter pan. Place the pan back on medium heat and add the roasted squash (or pumpkin) mixture to butter and garlic & stir well. Next add cooked pasta to pan & stir again. Cook until squash is heated through, stirring often. Toss in Parmesan cheese & stir.

Plate squash & pasta, sprinkle w/ more Parmessan & salt & pepper to taste.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332644 Oct 9th, 2010 at 03:56 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Ground Beef & Zuchinni Casserole

This simple but flavorful dish is quick and easy to make & sure to please.

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef
2 cups zuchinni, thinly sliced
1 cup celery, finely chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped (optional)
1 can whole tomatoes, cut up OR if you have fresh tomatoes, chop three or four into bite sized pieces
3 Tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
3 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1 teaspoon sugar

Directions:

In a skillet, brown ground beef,celery, onion & green pepper until beef is cooked. Remove meat & celery from pan, then saute zuchinni in pan drippings until lightly browned. Remove zuchinni from pan, usuing a slotted spoon and set aside.

Grease a 1 quart casserole pan & place layers.... The beef and vegetable mixture on the bottom, a layer of the zuchinni, another layer of the beef, and so on.

Now mix together tomatoes, Worchestershire sauce, and sugar, then pour over casserole. Sprinkle with Parmeasan cheese.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes or until bubbly

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332693 Oct 10th, 2010 at 06:46 PM
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Official Problem Child!
5k Posts
Tomorrow is grocery shopping day...I'm out of food.
I will be getting a lot of squash because of this topic.
It has made me want to make my world famous butternut squash pie.

[Linked Image]

~Cinja~

You're not really drunk until you're speaking fluent Ozzy Osbourne.
Merme #332694 Oct 10th, 2010 at 07:10 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Pasta Primavera With Yellow Squash

This recipe, calling for many types of vegetables in small amounts is a great way to use up leftover items in one delicious dish!

Ingredients:

4 cups hot, cooked pasta of your choice
1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets
1 cup milk
1 cup carrots, sliced prettily on the diagonal
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup snow peas
1 1/2 cup yellow squash, sliced thinly
1 small to medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 cup Paremesan cheese, grated OR 1 cup Sharp cheese, shredded
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons corn starch
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

The long part of this recipe is getting all the vegetables cleaned, chopped & steamed/boiled or stir fried to tender crisp.

Prepare your pasta.

While the pasta is cooking, in another small saucepan, heat butter & cornstarch into a thick paste. Add milk, and heat and then add cheese, stirring often so as not to burn.

Place cooked pasta in a large serving bowl and stir in olive oil, add milk/cheese mixture, add vegetables and combine.

Serves 4

Last edited by Merme; Oct 10th, 2010 at 07:11 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

afgreyparrot #332697 Oct 10th, 2010 at 07:12 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Originally Posted by afgreyparrot
It has made me want to make my world famous butternut squash pie.

Please post your "World Famous Butternut Squash Pie" recipe here, Cindy. We'd love to try it!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332701 Oct 10th, 2010 at 08:07 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Something About Turban Squash

Turban squash often gets overlooked by cooks unfamiliar with squashes in general but it is certainly worth trying. It is a sweet squash with nice, nutty overtones.

Once you've cooked it, you can use it in a variety of recipes such as creamy soups, pies, gratins, savory or sweet dishes.

Cooking Turban Squash In The Oven

Cut in half lengthwise, clean out seeds & fibers then place cut side down in baking dish. Add one inch water & cover tightly with foil. Cook at 350 degrees for at least 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours until squash is tender.

Carefully remove foil to vent steam. Now you can scoop out cooked squash to use in your recipe.

Cooking Turban Squash On The Stove Top

Cut the raw squash into wedges. Clean out seeds and fibers then peel squash. Now cut into smaller pieces. It is ready for the stove top.

Creamy Soup With Rum

In a large soup pot, place 4 cups of chicken stock, cut up turban squash, a goodly amount of leeks, a small turnip peeled and diced, a medium onion finely chopped, and several small carrots, diced. Cook until all the vegetables are tender.

When the vegetables are tender, you can remove from heat and put through a processor until you've made a puree.

Or, you can leave the vegetables as is and continue to the next step.

Season cooked soup w/ salt, pepper and a dash of rum.

Spicy Turban Soup

In a large saucepan, heat a sweet onion in 3 Tablespoons olive oil and a pinch of tumeric. Cook until the onion is tender. Add peeled, cleaned & diced turban squash, 4 cups of chicken stock, and 3 peeled & diced potatoes. Cook until all the vegetables are tender.

Now place everything in a processor, and blend well, adding 4 cups milk. Now add 2 Tablespoons of grated ginger, 1 Tablespoon of sugar, a pinch of saffron then salt & pepper to taste.

Return to the heat and heat through being careful not to scorch the milk.

A Spicy Turban Squash Puree

Cut and clean a Turban squash & cook as you desire, on stove top or in oven. When turban squash is ready, then set it aside and prepare the rest of the puree mixture.

In a skillet, mix one medium onion, finely chopped and 1 tsp ginger in 4 Tablespoons of butter. Cook about 5 minutes or until onion is transluscent, stirring often. Add one clove of garlic which has been pressed or minced. Cook for another minute, stiring.

Now in a blender or food processor, puree the cooked turban squash and then add the onion mixture, seasoning w/ salt & pepper to taste. Place puree in individual bowls and garnish w/ crystalized ginger.

Last edited by Merme; Oct 10th, 2010 at 08:08 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332710 Oct 10th, 2010 at 09:47 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Stuffed Tiny Pumpkins

You can purchase the tiny pumpkins, planning one per person, and stuff them. Just make sure they have NOT been lacquered for decorative purposes! These recipes are delicious and easy and kids especially get a kick out of being served a tiny pumpkin to eat!

First prepare the pumpkin for cooking & stuffing. Carefully cut the top (stem area) off the pumpkin & reach in to remove seeds & fiber. Be careful not to cut too low down on the pumpkin or you will lose the bowl needed for the stuffing.

A Savory Stuffing

2 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped
1 cup cubed bread stuffing mix

OR

2 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped
1 cup cooked rice, sauteed in butter w/ seasonings of your choice

Mix the above savory stuffings and then stuff the tiny pumpkin.

Bake in a 375 degree oven for an hour. Prepare a mushroom gravy or a chicken gravy and ladle it on top of the stuffed pumpkin once it is plated.

A Sweet Stuffing

4 Tablespoons butter
1 cup apples, chopped
1 cup pears, chopped
1/2 cup currants or raisins
1/2 cup walnuts or almonds, finely chopped

Saute the above ingredients until the currants, apples & pears begin to become tender & flavorful w/ the butter.

Now stuff the tiny pumpkins and bake at 375 degrees for one hour. Plate and dribble w/ maple syrup.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332751 Oct 11th, 2010 at 07:22 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Tilapia Summer Squash & Zuchinni

You can just as easily make this recipe entirely on the grill; I have, plenty of times, even putting my skillet of zuchinni & summer squash on the grill. But here are the directions using the oven & stove top.

First, you need to know a little something about garlic infused olive oil. It isn't as hard as it might sound! You simply place tha amount of olive oil you wish to infuse in a skillet and add one clove of garlic for every 1/3 cup oil, which will probably be an approximation. You needn't be precise! Then, over medium heat, cook the garlic in the oil, stirringite often until the garlic is a dark brown. Remove the garlic with a slotted spoon & you can let the oil cool then place it in an air-tight container in the fridge to use again.

Unusual item needed: parchment paper

Ingredients:

4 Talapia Fillets (about 4 oz each) or one 16 oz package
1 medium zuchinni, finely chopped
1 medium yellow squash, finely chopped
1 lemon
1/2 red onion (yellow will do, but red is prettier!)
4 Tablespoon garlic infused olive oil
4 teaspoon chopped/minced garlic for garnish
salt & pepper

Directions:

It takes about the same amount of time to cook the tilapia as it does the squash, so you can start either first, but work efficiently.

To Bake The Tilapia:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place parchment paper on baking sheet. Drizzle garlic infused olive oil on both sides of tilapia and place on cookie sheet. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Bake tilapis until it flakes easily with a fork.... about 12 to 15 minutes.

To cook The Zuchinni & Summer Squash:

In a large skillet, add 1 Tablespoon of garlic infused olive oil and finely chopped onion. Cook over medium heat and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring often. Add finely chopped Zuchinni & Summer Squash & a dash of salt & pepper.

If you leave the squash uncovered, you can cook them w/in about 5 or 6 minutes to a crisp-tender degree.
If you cover the pan, you can steam them to a further degree of doneness in 6 to 8 minutes.

To serve:

Place tilapia fillet on plate, spoon summer squash & zuchinni over fish. Squeeze lemon over food on plate. Garnish with wedge of lemon.

This recipe serves 4 if you are serving one fillet per person; 2 if you are serving 2 per person.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332752 Oct 11th, 2010 at 07:56 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Chipolte Squash Puree w/ Mango Rice & Blackened Salmon

This recipe is a little earthy, a little exotic, and a lot exciting!

Ingredients for the Rice:

4 cups water
2 cups rice
1 small Butternut Squash
1 large ripe mango
1 small can Chipoltes
1/4 cup cream
1/4 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch of saffron

Ingredients for the Blackened Salmon:

4 fillets of Salmon, about 6 oz each
2 Tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

For the Chipolte Squash Puree:

Cut butternut squash in half lengthwise, clean out seeds & fibers. Brush cut edges w/ olive oil and place cut side down on baking sheet covered w/ aluminum foil. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

When squash is done from the oven, scoop out the cooked squash & put it in a blender or food processor. Add 1 chipolte (2 if you like it really spicy!), cream, butter, salt & chili powder, if using. Blend until smooth.

For the Mango Rice:

In a medium pan w/ tight-fitting lid, combine 4 cups water w/ 2 cups rice and pinch of saffron. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium low, and cook for 20 minutes until rice is tender.

Dice mango into very small pieces and add half of the diced mango to the rice. Reserve the other half for use as garnish.

For the Blackened Salmon:

Mix all the spices listed togehter in a bowl. Rinse off the pieces of salmon & pat dry. Brush both sides of fish w/ melted butter & sprinkle a little of the spices on both sides, pressing lightly by patting into place.

Heat a heavy skillet & place fish in it, cooking on each side about 2 minutes per, until salmon is firm & cooked through.

To Serve:

Spread a portion of the chipolte squash puree on each plate. Put a large scoop of the mango rice in the middle of the puree. Top with the salmon fillet & garnish with reserved mango.

Last edited by Merme; Oct 11th, 2010 at 07:57 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332757 Oct 12th, 2010 at 04:13 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Lamb Stuffed Acorn Squash

You can easily substitute 1 pound ground beef & sausage for the lamb in this potentially flavorful recipe. Don't hesitate to play with ingredients to suit your mood -- or your pantry!

Ingredients:

3 cups water
1 or 2 acorn squash, halved & seeded
1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
1 lb ground Lamb (or ground beef)
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, put through a press or minced
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium saucepan w/ a tight fitting lid, combine the 3 cups of water and the 1 1/2 cups of rice. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes.

In a large skillet, combine the seasonings, the lamb and the onion & garlic thencook over medium high heat until the lamb is browned & the onion tender. Add the cooked rice to this mixture.

Stuff the acorn squash w/ the lamb & rice mixture, sprinkle w/ salt & pepper to taste.

Place the stuffed squash in a baking dish to fit & bake in the 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes until the squash is tender.

IMPORTANT NOTES:

This recipe, as written, tends to turn out bland so be aggressive with your spicing.

According to the Australian Lamb Council, additional spices which would go well with this diah are the following, so choose from among:

1/2 teaspoon Coriander
mint - to suit taste
Tarragon -use sensibly & sparingly
1/2 teaspoon of sage
Marjoram -- use very sparingly
Ginger - 1 teaspoon
Curry Powder - 1 teaspoon

Any one or two of the above would be a nice addition to this recipe but please don't try to use them all!

Also, if you choose to stuff only one acorn squash, you will have much lamb & rice mixture left over. This would go well into a soup.

Some cooks like to add frozen peas to this recipe.

Last edited by Merme; Oct 12th, 2010 at 04:31 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332761 Oct 12th, 2010 at 05:57 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Spicy Lamb Stuffed Squash -- Lebanese Style

This recipe can be prepared ahead, refrigerated, then oven baked just before serving.

Ingredients:

1/2 pound ground lamb or ground beef & sausage
3 medium acorn squash, halved & seeded
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/3 cup currants or raisins
2 Tablespoons pine nuts or pignoli
2 Tablespoons parsley
2 Tablespoons mint
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon rosemary, crumbled
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
8 oz can of tomato sauce

Directions:

After squash is cut & seeded, place cut side up in a shallow baking dish. Add 1 inch water, cover tightly with foil, and bake for 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Squash should be tender but not soft.

While the squash is baking, prepare the filling.

In a large skillet over high heat, brown lamb (or ground beef & sausage) w/ Tablespoon of olive oil. Reduce heat to medium and add onions, stir frequently, for 5 minutes.

Now add herbs & spices, cider vinegar and currants or raisins. Turn heat to low and continue cooking, covered, until currants are plump, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Now stir in cooked rice, cover pan, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add tomato sauce and simmer uncovered for 5 to 10 minutes more.

Now you are ready to stuff the squash.

You may wish to dribble some melted margarine in the bottom of each squash hollow, but it is not mandatory. Stuff the squash halves until they are nicely mounded. Let stand for 10 minutes.

At this point, the stuffed squash can be covered & put in the refrigerator for several hours until you are ready to bake them before serving.

Otherwise, put them in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, just until they are heated through & lightly browned.

I have Lebanese friends living in NJ and I have never been disappointed in any dish prepared Lebanese style. The foods are wonderful, so don't be shy to try it!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332769 Oct 12th, 2010 at 06:36 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Chicken Breasts Stuffed W/ Squash

This is a great recipe for using up a bit of leftover squash. You can use 1/2 cup of acorn, butternut, spaghetti or even yellow & zucchini squash.

Ingredients:

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
2 cups flour for coating
2 oz cheddar cheese, shredded
1 small green or red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon butter
1/2 cup squash of your choice, chopped

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan & set aside.

In a medium skillet, melt butter (or margarine) over medium heat. Add squash, bell pepper, onion and celery. Sautee until slightly tender. Add salt & pepper to taste. Remove pan from heat & mix in the cheese.

Now slice the chicken breast from the side, going about 3/4 of the way through, making the pocket for your stuffing. Stuff mixture into each breast until full.

Put 2 cups flour into a medium sized bowl & dredge each stuffed chicken breast through the flour, coating each side.

Place carefully into skillet and fry in drippings until each side is lightly browned.

Now place each breast into 9 x 13 pan and bake in oven for 30 minutes until chicken is tender & cooked through & juices running clear.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332782 Oct 12th, 2010 at 08:03 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Italian Chicken & Squash

This is an especially great summer recipe...

Ingredients:

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
20 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 large summer squash, cut in half lengthwise, then thinly sliced
1 large zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then thinly sliced
8 oz uncooked angel hair pasta
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
3/4 cup feta cheese, seasoned w/ tomato & basil, if available
1/4 cup chicken broth
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
3 Tablespoons butter

Directions:

In a large skillet, cook chicken strips in butter until tender and no longer pink. Add yellow squash & zucchini & cook until tender, about 4 or 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.

Stir lemon juice & broth into chicken mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover & simmer for about 5 more minutes until heated through; stir occasionally.

Drain pasta and toss w/ chicken mixture & tomatoes. Plate & sprinkle w/ cheeses.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332788 Oct 12th, 2010 at 11:06 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Butternut Squash Enchiladas & Tomatillo Sauce

This recipe can be prepared up to 6 hours in advance before baking. Directions for home made Tomatillo Sauce are included.

Ingredients:

2 small butternut squash
2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese, grated (about 8 oz)
2 cups Mozzarella Cheese, grated (about 8 oz)
1/2 cup whole kernel corn
1/3 cup pitted black olives
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Tablespoon garlic, minced or put through a press
Sour cream to desired amount

12 6-inch corn tortillas

**Tomatillo Sauce** can be store bought, but a recipe to follow if you'd like to make your own.

Directions:

Cut squash in half, seed & place cut side up in baking dish, adding 1 inch water to dish. Tightly cover with foil & bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

Remove squash from oven & carefully lift foil to vent steam. Cool squash completely then scoop out the cooked squash from the shell directly into a large bowl & discard the shell.

Now heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat & add onion & garlic. Sautee about 3 minutes. Mix in squash & corn.

Using tongs & over a direct flame, heat tortillas until they are soft & warmed through, about 10 seconds per side.

Now place 1 Tablespoon of the squash/corn mixture down the center of each tortilla, followed by 1 Tablespoon of each type of cheese. Roll up tortilla tightly and place seam side down in a 9 x 13 baking dish.

At this point, the enchilada's can be covered and refrigerated for up to 6 hours.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spoon tomatillo sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake for about 20 minutes until enchiladas are heated through.

Plate 2 enchiladas per plate & top with sour cream & sprinkle with olives.

** Tomatillo Sauce **

3 or 4 cloves of garlic, finely minced or put through a press
1 (14 oz) can tomatillos OR 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatillos with the husks removed and tomatillos chopped
1 (7 oz) can chopped green chiles
1 fresh jalapeno, carefully seeded, stem removed & finely chopped
1 medium onion, very finely chopped
1 Tablespoon water
1 green tomato, finely chopped (optional)
1/2 teaspoon sugar

In a good skillet, sautee the onion & garlic in the oil until the onion is translucent. Add the chiles, tomatillo, green tomato, and jalapeno & mix thoroughly. Now pour this mixture into a blender or food processor & process until you have a coarse (not smooth) puree.

Now return mixture to skillet. Add sugar & a dash of salt. Simmer for 30 minutes until sauce is thick.

This recipe makes about 2 cups & can store in refrigerator without damage.

Last edited by Merme; Oct 12th, 2010 at 11:07 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332789 Oct 12th, 2010 at 11:32 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts

Veal With Saged Butternut Squash & Penne Pasta

Ingredients:

12 oz penne pasta (may use whole wheat fuslli)
1 pound ground veal (may use ground chicken)
1 medium butternut squash, cut into very small pieces
1/3 cup Paremesan or Romano cheese
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup shallots, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons sage
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Cook pasta according to package directions.

In a large skillet, heat about 2 teaspoons of the oil on high heat until the oil is very hot. Add shallots, veal, salt & pepper. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or so, until veal is no longer pink. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the sage. Now place veal mixture in bowl.

Using the same skillet, place the diced butternut & about a Tablespoon of the olive oil together & cook, covered, on medium heat 12 to 15 minutes until squash is tender. When the squash is finished, stir in veal mixture & the remaining sage. Mix well.

Reserve 1/2 to 1 cup of the cooking water from the pasta. Now drain pasta thoroughly & return to pot. Add veal & butternut mixture, Parmesan cheese & cooking water. Combine thoroughly and serve.

Serves 6

Last edited by Merme; Oct 12th, 2010 at 11:36 AM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332790 Oct 12th, 2010 at 11:51 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Acorn Squash Stuffed With Ground Veal

This recipe is easy to adjust to your serving requirements. As written, it serves 6.

Ingredients:

3 Acorn Squash
1 lb ground veal
1 egg, well beaten
1 small onion, minced
1 small green pepper, finely chopped
1 large tomato, sliced
2 Tablespoons bread crumbs (may need a bit more)

Directions:

In a large bowl, mix veal, onion, green pepper, bread crumbs & egg. Mix well, like you are making a meat loaf.

Now cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.

Fill the hollows the squash with the veal mixture. Place a tomato slice on the top of each mound. Sprinkle w/ additional bread crumbs.

Now cover the squash w/ foil (individually is best if you can manage it) and place in a baking dish.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Uncover each squash (or the squash pan) and bake an additional 20 minutes until squash is soft.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332798 Oct 12th, 2010 at 04:18 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Italian Sausage & Rigatoni Stuffed Acorn Squash

Ingredients:

4 acorn squash
1 pound Italian Sausage, with the casings removed and cut into small bits
4 cups tomato sauce
1 cup red onion, finely chopped
8 oz rigatoni pasta cooked according to package directions, drained & tossed in olive oil & cooled
8 oz Mozzarella cheese, chopped
1 Tablespoon parsley
1 Tablespoon oregano
salt & pepper to taste
olive oil

Directions:

Cut acorn squash in half & dribble w/ olive oil, salt & pepper. Place cut side up in baking dish with 1 inch of water & bake in 350 degree oven for an hour.

Remove from oven and cool completely.

In a large skillet, brown the sausage & onions over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes.

Using a large mixing bowl, combine cooked pasta, sausage, cheese and tomato sauce. Mix very well.

Scoop the sausage/pasta mixture into the squash hollows, mounding nicely. Season w/ salt & pepper.

Place in baking dish & bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese melts & the squash are heated through.

Plate & serve

If you want to go through the trouble of making your own basic tomato sauce, the following is the recipe on how to do it. But you should keep in mind that store bought is also good.

To Make 4 Cups of Basic Tomato Sauce:

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups tomatoes, peeled & chops along with the juice
3/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup basil
2 Tablespoons garlic, minced or put through a press
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
dash of black pepper
a pinch and a kiss of sugar

Directions:

In a large skillet, heat oil, onions, garlic, sugar, white pepper, salt and saute fr 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and basil, and cook for 3 minutes more, stirring constantly. Stir in stock & if you a using a pepper mill, give it 18 turns and simmer 2 minutes more. If it seems a little acidic, add an extra pinch & kiss of sugar.

Last edited by Merme; Oct 12th, 2010 at 06:06 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332799 Oct 12th, 2010 at 04:45 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Wine List

I thought I should add a wine list to go with these delicious meals for those of you who'd like to try something special.

Chicken
Cabernet Franc
Cabernet Sauvignon
Chardonnay
Merlot
Pinot Gris
Sauvignon Blanc

Fish
Cabernet Franc
Chardonnay
Pinot Gris

Blackened Fish
Cabernet Sauvignon
Merlot *goes particularly well w/ spicy stuffings & robust meats.
rose

Veal
Chardonnay
Pinot Gris

Lamb
Cabernet Franc
Pinot Noir

Tomato Dishes
Cabernet Sauvignon
Sauvignon Blanc
Zinfandel

Seafood
Chardonnay
Sauvignon Blanc
Pinot grigio
Torrontes

Pork
Chardonnay
Sauvignon Blanc
Riesling

Spicy, Curried Foods
Chenin Blanc
rose
Torrontes

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #332919 Oct 14th, 2010 at 04:18 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Although I posted this recipe a few years ago, I thought I should bring it forward and add it to this thread.

Miniature Pumpkins Stuffed With Sausage & Couscous

These directions are for FOUR servings. If you want to do more, you'll have to fool around a bit with amounts.

You'll need four miniature pumpkins. My grocery recommends Small Sugar, Jack Be Little or or Little Boo. These serve as individual baking dishes.

INGREDIENTS:

4 oz sweet Italian sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 lbs pumpkin (peeled, seeded, cut into 3/4 in cubes)
1/2 cup chopped apple
1/4 cup white wine (or apple juice)
1 cup couscous, cooked
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1 Tablespoon extra virgin Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Thyme
1/2 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 small (1 lb) pumpkins, hollowed out.

Directions:

MAKE THE STUFFING:

Preheat oven to 350.

Decase and crumble the sausage into a large sauce pan. Cook about 8 minutes, until nearly done. Remove sausage from pan and set aside. Increase the heat, add onion and 2 cups of the chopped pumpkin to the drippings. Saute until pumpkin begins to soften -- about 6 or 7 minutes. Add apple and return sausage to the pan and cook for 3 minutes more. Add wine and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.

In a large bowl combine couscous, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, olive oil and dried cranberries. Add meat mixture and stir well.

STUFF THE PUMPKINS:

Evenly fill the hollowed out pumpkins with stuffing. Place the pumpkins in a baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 more minutes.

ENJOY!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #333008 Oct 15th, 2010 at 04:24 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
flwr UPDATED IDEA flwr

Yesterday when I made the stuffed minitured pumpkins, I tried something new. I had fewer pumpkins to stuff, so I had leftover stuffing -- quite a bit of it, actually. So, I put the leftover stuffing in an oven safe dish and baked it along with the stuffed pumpkins.

WELL! Surprise!

The separately baked stuffing had a much better flavor than the stuffing in the pumpkins! The flavors just seemed to develop & meld together better.

So now I am thinking....

as an alternate method for this recipe, one COULD bake the pumpkins and the stuffing separately & then just quickly stuff the pumpkins right before serving!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #333018 Oct 15th, 2010 at 05:19 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Good idea Merme, sometimes one vegetable overpowers another. I dislike my little shopping centre..there was not one squash available to buy this week.

Merme #333176 Oct 17th, 2010 at 09:41 PM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Cheesy Spaghetti Squash A Little Spicy

This cheesy version of a spaghetti squash bake is good for vegetarians. Another recipe to follow for cheesy spaghetti squash for meat lovers...

Ingredients:

1 Spaghetti squash, about 4 lbs
2 cups Monterey Jack, shredded
1 cup Cheddar, shredded
1/2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 can sliced black olives, about 4 oz.
1/2 teaspoon, oregano, crushed
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
1/4 teaspoon garlic, minced or put through a press
1/4 teaspoon basil

Directions:

Cut squash in half, discard seeds & fibers. Place cut sides down into a baking dish, add 1 inch water, cover tightly with foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for about an hour. Remove from oven, carefully lift foil to vent steam. Allow the squash to cool so you can handle the halves easily.

When squash is cool, turn over and scoop out the spaghetti like strands and place in a bowl. They should remove very easily down to the shell. Set scooped out shells aside and discard shells.

In a large skillet, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Saute onion & peppers until tender. Add squash strands, spices, olives and cheese. Stir well until cheese is mixed throughout. Add salt & pepper to taste if desired.

Place mixture in a 9 x 13 baking dish & bake in 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes until cheese is all melty and delicious!

Serves 6

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #333183 Oct 18th, 2010 at 04:25 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Cheesy Ground Beef Spaghetti Squash Bake

This easy recipe is lightly seasoned to allow the ingredients to speak for themselves.

Ingredients:

1 spaghetti squash
1 lb ground beef
1 can diced tomatoes, WITH liquid
2 1/2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded, or cheese of your choice
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup red bell pepper (optional)
1/2 cup green bell pepper (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced or put through a press
1/2 teaspoon oregano

Directions:

Cut spaghetti squash in half, scoop out seeds & fibers and discard. Place cut side down in baking dish, add 1 inch water, cover tightly with foil & bake in 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. Carefully lift foil to vent steam, then allow squash to cool.

When squash is cool, use a fork to scoop out the spaghetti strands into a bowl & set aside.

In a large skillet over medium heat, begin to cook the ground beef. When beef is about halfway done, add onion, peppers (if using) garlic. Continue cooking until the vegetables are tender. Drain off fat. Return pan to heat and add tomatoes with the liquid, the oregano and the squash. Continue cooking, stirring well for a few minutes until the liquid is more absorbed.

Put the mixture into an ungreased 9 x 13 pan or deep casserole dish. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese. Bake uncovered, in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese over squash and cook about 5 minutes longer until cheese is melted and yummy!

Serves 6

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #333220 Oct 18th, 2010 at 10:25 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
potatoes and Squash - easiest thing ever and tastes great. I've never had anyone not ask how I cooked this.

Cube potatoes and squash - how ever much you're going to eat. For Johnny and me I use 4 or 5 medium sized squash and 3 or 4 medium sized potatoes and a medium sized sauce pan.

Put in a pot with enough boiling water to cover the potatoes and squash to which butter, salt and pepper has been added.

Boil uncovered until vegetables are fork tender adding little amounts of water as needed. Don't add too much water. You want to keep it barely covered until you're ready to take it off the heat.

It makes it's own thickening so it can be placed on the same plate as your entree.

Merme #333258 Oct 19th, 2010 at 02:58 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Sheri which type of squash do you use for this recipe? Summer or Zucchini?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #333269 Oct 19th, 2010 at 06:33 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Merme--I had a squash problem last night.
I had a recipe where yo baked a butternut squash with buter 7 brown sugar--sounds yummy right??
well it said to bake it 25 mintes at 400. well first I MW it for 6 minutes to make sure it got done--then i cooked it for 30 minutes instead of the 25 and it was still not done.

have you or anyone else had this problem???

________

Merme #333271 Oct 19th, 2010 at 07:03 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
I have had many vegetables that defied their baking times. I think it has more to do with density and time of harvest. I have had to cook many things for additional times than given in a recipe. And when that is happening usually at a lowered temperature to keep it from burning on the exterior before it is finished on the inside.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Merme #333275 Oct 19th, 2010 at 09:40 AM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Originally Posted by Merme
Sheri which type of squash do you use for this recipe? Summer or Zucchini?

Summer squash.

Merme #333280 Oct 19th, 2010 at 10:39 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Thank you for the clarification, Sheri! I will try that recipe.

Carol, in your case I think a few things may have been working against you.

1) I would think that oven temp is too high & the cooking time too short.
I would prefer you to cook your squash at 350 for 40 to 50 minutes.

2) Winter squash does better if you add about 1 inch of water to the pan & cover the pan tightly with foil, making a tent for the squash to steam inside.

And yes, this works even if you put brown sugar & other adornments into the bowl. I often add brown sugar, butter, cinnamon & nutmeg and then bake it covered with foil. The water in the pan creates steam to help the squash cook through.

Exceptions to this general rule for baking squash is when you are going to remove it from the oven & add it to a recipe which requres further cooking time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #333287 Oct 19th, 2010 at 11:33 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Stopped at the grocery store...still no squash. why

Sunflowers #333298 Oct 19th, 2010 at 01:22 PM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Thanks Merme.
I wondered.....now I know----

________

Merme #333315 Oct 19th, 2010 at 08:23 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Spaghetti Squash Pesto Shrimp Primavera

I cook the spaghetti squash whole, first poke some holes in it and put it in baking dish at 350 for about an hour.

When the squash is done cut it lengthwise. You may need to let it cool a bit, this would be a good time to saute the veggies and grill the shrimp. I saute my vegetables in olive oil and I grill my shrimp on my cast iron but you could use any pan and butter if you prefer. Drag a fork through the squash to get the "spaghetti" out and place in a separate dish. Add the veggies, shrimp, and a couple spoonfuls of pesto sauce. Mix it all together and there you go. I can't have garlic but I'm sure it would be a great addition to the veggies to give this dish extra flavor.

chermoni #333318 Oct 19th, 2010 at 08:28 PM
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Ballard Beaver!
5k Posts
Butternut Apple Pork Chops

I just made this dish tonight and I really enjoyed it. The apple flavor was especially good with the pork chops. It's a bit of work cutting and peeling the squash but not too difficult.

First you have to peel and cut the squash into chunks. I cut it lengthwise first, gutted the seeds and stuff, then cut into smaller more manageable pieces in order to cut the peeling off. Slice and peel about 3 granny smith apples. Put 3-4 thick cut pork chops in an oven safe dish. Arrange the squash and apple pieces around the pork chops. Spray on a bit of lemon juice and pour in either a 1/2 cup of water or apple juice. Sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar. Bake for one hour at 375, or until squash is tender.

Merme #333324 Oct 20th, 2010 at 04:33 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
Mmm, sounds yummy. I love apples and pork.

Sunflowers #333325 Oct 20th, 2010 at 04:38 AM
Merme Offline OP
Grande Damme
20k Posts
OP Offline
Grande Damme
20k Posts
Yes, I like apples & pork also. Tonight I am making the pork stuffed acorn squash recipe which calls for applesauce added to the stuffing. Yummy! I might boost that by added diced apple as well....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Merme #333345 Oct 20th, 2010 at 12:46 PM
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
To me butternut squash is difficult with which to deal. It's hard to cut up and takes a long time cooking. I nuke it first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,862
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image