Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Jaes Offline OP
OP Offline
First, I am not a knowlegable flower grower. This spring I was in the garden section of Home Depot. My attention was drawn to a very beautiful potted flower plant: "Sun Parasol Petty Pink" --on the tag it also has "Sumandetormi USPP # 16363 Mandevilla" This plant/flower? ---has great, dark, glossly, green leaves, with strikingly beautiful pink flowers---this plant is also vine-like. At first, I decided not to buy the plant (a bit pricey for my budget). However, the next day I found myself returning to Home Depot, just to buy the plant. The plant came in a hanging pot (about 1 gal. in size) -- it nicely hangs in one corner of my patio. --Given my luck with plants, the plant will die-off in the Fall--- and I can only hope to buy another such plant next spring. ---However, also with my luck, Home Depot---and all other nurseries on the face of the earth, will nolonger carry the plant. So, QUESTION: How do I get this plant through the Winter? I live in the Knasas City area, so I know that I will need to bring the plant in from its hanging place on the patio---but, what do I do with it? How do I care for it? --Also, is there anyway to split the plant into 2 or 3 separate plants, so that next season, I will not be putting all of my plants in one basket--- erh, planter? Any advice would be most appreciated. ---Jaes

Jaes
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
H, Jaes.
You do need to bring your plant in for winter. Find a nice sunny warm spot for it with as few drafts as possible. Before bringing it in try to make sure it doesn't have any hitchhikers in the form of critters. White flies love to move indoors for winter too.
If you have several plants in your hanging basket, you can divide them and repot individually. Or put your potted plant very near another pot with fresh soil and take pieces of the vine and tuck part of the leafless stem under the soil. you may need to hold that down with a weight, leave a few leaves out for the growing tip of your new plant. In a few weeks it should have begun to develop new roots under the soil. You can cut it loose from the mother plant when it has enough to support itself. You can have a whole row of mandevillas for your porch.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Jaes Offline OP
OP Offline
Tina, Thank you very much for the very helpful reply. ----Jaes.

Number Seven
1k Posts
Number Seven
1k Posts
One thing you need to know is that plants that have been outside will go through an adjusting period when brought inside, and it will most likely lose leaves, perhaps all of them...but don't be alarmed...they will grow back. You won't need to water it as often when it's inside either. I just let my Mandevilla go completely dormant by putting it in my laundry room and only watering once a month. It loses all it's leaves , but when spring comes I just set t back outside and water it and it comes back to life.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Thank you Alan. I am at a loss about indoor wintering of things because I don't. I am never sure about the watering needs or what can be let to go leafless and dormant and what cannot.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image