Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#327279 Aug 9th, 2010 at 09:09 PM
rkwife Offline OP
OP Offline
I planted a summer garden and had little success with it. The worms got my corn, insects got my broccoli, cauliflower, and bell peppers as seedlings and killed them off. The carrots got trampled accidentally. The only plants that produced were the potatoes and tomatoes.

In July I cleared the garden. I pulled all the plants and hoed out every weed. July 24 I planted corn and carrot seeds. On July 29 there were 8 corn that had sprouted. I noticed some signs of insects munching on the leaves, but not much damage. August 1 the corn plants were gone...not dead, just gone. The garden is surrounded by chicken wire that is tied top and bottom to cattle panels to prevent animals from getting in and I saw no signs of animal tracks.

As of today there is no sign of the carrots.

When I planted I hoed the row, mixed in compost, and planted the seeds according to package instructions.

I went out to the garden today, hoping for some sign of carrots, and realized that in addition to my veggie seeds not sprouting there aren't even any weeds. I've been watering, so I thought it strange that weeds aren't even growing.

I'm in zone 8b or 9. I'm never sure which. My garden is completely organic. Last year I had better success in the summer garden (corn, tomatoes, & carrots all grew).

Does anyone have any idea why nothing is growing? Any suggestions on what to do?

California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
Welcome, rkwife.
Mice, maybe? They can wiggle into chicken wire enclosures. As can small birds.
Have you any gopher or vole problems underground? The lack of weeds is puzzling though.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
rkwife Offline OP
OP Offline
I live in the country and do have mice, so that is a possibility. I also have a lot of birds here, and did see some little bird tracks in the garden yesterday. As for gophers, there are a few gopher mounds out here, but none near or in the garden. And the gophers didn't get my potatoes, so I don't think they're in the garden (hopefully they aren't).

I do have ants in the garden. Fire ants to be specific. Could they be eating the seeds? I dug around in one of the corn rows a bit and found several corn seeds. 2 were hollow, the others looked just the same as the day I planted them.

It's the lack of weeds that puzzles me too. I've never complained about the lack of weeds before, always quite the opposite! But I'm wondering if lack of weeds is a sign of a larger issue?

Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
Dr. Pepper
3k Posts
I can't imagine anything that could stop weed growth....just a joke, but if you figure it out,, patent it!
It's been so hot, nothing surprises me, well, nothing but not weeds...I nwould think corn would at least germinate, if ants and such don't get the seed, but I think of carrots as a cooler season crop...not a carrot expert, though. Keep trying, I'm north of you and still hoping to get aq fall garden in, mainly greens. Keep checking in for others' advice.

dave
Do you mean there is stuff growing around the garden but not in it?
How hot is it down there? constant 95-100 F ?

If you just throw a few seeds on the ground are the ants interested?
Try the same with some soaked corn about to sprout.

Try something like beans or squash that are imposible NOT to grow.

How about slugs? Are you watering at night?
They really like it when it's wet.
You don't need too much water for germintation in fact too much can cause seed to rot.

Hot Rod
20k Posts
Hot Rod
20k Posts
tOO HOT MAY BE THE BIGGEST FACTOR.

pLANT SOME IN THE SHADE

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
PS... My horse isn't here, this is my Nitemare..
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
In July I cleared the garden. I pulled all the plants and hoed out every weed. July 24 I planted corn and carrot seeds. On July 29 there were 8 corn that had sprouted. I noticed some signs of insects munching on the leaves, but not much damage. August 1 the corn plants were gone...not dead, just gone. The garden is surrounded by chicken wire that is tied top and bottom to cattle panels to prevent animals from getting in and I saw no signs of animal tracks.

As of today there is no sign of the carrots.

Carrots germinates in about 3 weeks before they emerge from the soil. Just be patient. Did the seed label said to plant them 1/4" deep only, if so, did you? Carrot is a cool season vegetable. Even if they grow, the carrot will be bitter and woody if your daily temperature is above 80*F.

Re: weeds...perhaps your garden soil is cleaner than you think or no wind blown weed seeds found your garden.

Since your garden is covered with chicken wire, perhaps you can put shade cloth over the top to protect future plants from heat and u.v. rays.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
rkwife Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you for the replies. I didn't intend to ask a question & disappear. Life got very crazy and I couldn't get back here until now.

To answer the questions asked:
-Yes, things are growing outside the garden, but not inside. In fact, I have grass and weeds growing right up to all 4 edges

-It's very hot. Temperature is 95 - 100+ every day

-The ants may be interested in the seeds. I had a cucumber plant that suddenly died. When I pulled it up, the roots were infested with ants.

-I don't think I have a slug problem. I've lived here 4 years and have never seen a slug.

-I usually water in the evening around 6 or 7 p.m.

-I planted the carrot seeds 1/4" deep. I used the tape measure to make sure I wasn't planting too deep since I've done that before.

I stopped watering the garden 9 days ago. There were no signs of life. Today I looked in the garden and was so happy!!! There are 2 weeds growing. I've never been so happy to see a weed before.

I may try planting a fall garden one more time, but I'm not sure. I'd like to know what the heck is going on with the garden before I try again. I don't want to waste the seeds or water if nothing is going to grow.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,873
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image