Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#327367 Aug 10th, 2010 at 06:06 PM
OP Offline
Hello!

We need help! This year we grabbed a packet of "multi-variety Bell pepper" seeds. Instead of bells, we had this strange and mysterious creature show up. Ive been all over google and a multitude of gardening and vegetable sites and cant find anything that is similar. Can any of you help?

characteristics: (I tried to upload a photo but it wont let me)
looks like any other pepper plant
green leaves, small white flowers in clusters
peppers start as tiny, round, green fruits that turn purple-black.
They stay small, no more than 1/4 inch diameter
We finally dared to eat one today, and the texture is like a tomato/pepper mix. Its more like a berry, very juicy, and sweet/meaty flavor.
The plants are covered in these tiny black pearls. The leaves are bright green and the fruit tastes sweet so its not a black pearl decorative pepper plant.
The fruit is also rounder than traditional cherry peppers, and I cant find anything about a purple/black cherry pepper variety.

Any ideas? I will try to get a picture up for you.

Thanks!

Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Welcome!

About the size of Capsicum annuum "Marbles"?

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #327581 Aug 12th, 2010 at 05:18 PM
OP Offline
Hello and Thanks!

Yep, same size and shape thereabouts, but they hang down from the plant, the flower is thinner, its repeatedly blooming and producing fruit from the main stem in custers of 1 to 6 that hang down and turn immediately from green to black. Not the brighter, colorful purple of Capsicum annuum, and no reds or other phases. Its also sweet. I was hoping it was a cousin but its not looking like it. Ive eaten about 12 over a 48 hour period now and am still alive too, if that helps at all.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image