Print Thread
Rate Thread
#327157 Aug 8th, 2010 at 10:02 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
OP Offline
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
I'm having a problem growing plants from seeds this year. The latest problem is with cinammon basil. They sprout but then die. I'm thinking damp off so I tried the hydrogen peroxide 10% solution but that didn't help. I'm thinking maybe the potting soil is the problem. It was from last year and I let it dry out. So now it's pretty clumpy and it dries out really quickly.

What would you suggest?

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #354738 Mar 12th, 2012 at 07:41 AM
I was having a similar problem, I believe it's the soil.
I've been using Shultz's seed Starter Soil, works pretty well so far as I can tell. :)

Although I'm only about a week in. :)

-Jon Boyenga
Medon #354741 Mar 12th, 2012 at 08:02 AM
Frogger
40k Posts
Online Happy
Frogger
40k Posts
Originally Posted by Medon
I was having a similar problem, I believe it's the soil.
I've been using Shultz's seed Starter Soil, works pretty well so far as I can tell. :)

Although I'm only about a week in. :)

I'm on my 2nd set of basil seeds/sprouts---first time I used the soil that came in the kit---second time I just used old soil----I think I will try the soil you recomment, Medon--thanks

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
________

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!! .....
JunieGirl #354762 Mar 13th, 2012 at 02:00 AM
Oh, yeah. This soil is pretty good, methinks. Since I posted a reply to you, my plants have grown up about half an inch each. /ponder

-Jon Boyenga
tkhooper #361556 Nov 9th, 2012 at 07:06 AM
I'm not an expert. Currently on my first grow "season" (grow tent). Ran into several problems myself. I did however have no problem with germination of my basil. But if i was you id look into using a grow mat with starter plugs. Or you can try and put it in a 75-85 degree location. Ive never actually done it or seen how it works but if you youtube it im sure the grow mat is best way to go. According to a friend of mine starter plugs can be moved to larger pots quite easily and the plants roots will grow straight through the plug and into the soil. I'm experimenting right now and am using a 65 watt flood light in a cheap fixture from home depot. i measured the heat it throws off with my accu rite digital temperature and humidity guage. keeps the soil a bit warm from a foot away (solo cups). Does cause a little dryness though so i decided to mist it down once a day ensuring soil moisture. should be about 5 days left till i see some action. Plugs however are generally not used with soil i think and are used in hydroponic systems. Also, regular potting soil is the way to go i think. Not sure if the soil is your issue. Sounds like it needs a little warmth to me and some added misting.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,812
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image