Print Thread
Rate Thread
#322158 Jun 21st, 2010 at 11:23 AM
Northern Star
30k Posts
OP Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I have a nursery bought cedar tree, think its a 'Smaragd'..its one of those pretty columnar trees anyway.

Now that I moved my cedar rail fencing it looks odd where it is, it's about 6 ft tall now and I'm going to have to move it.

Questions are..is it best to move it in fall? and how deep is the rooting system going to be on it? Any ideas and feed back are welcome, thanks.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Sunflowers #326463 Jul 31st, 2010 at 09:40 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
How to Replant Cedar Trees

By Larry Amon, eHow Contributing Writer

Read more: How to Replant Cedar Trees | eHow.com HERE

Things You'll Need:

* Shovel
* Peat moss
* Tiller
* Mulch

Instructions

Step 1

Dig the hole where the cedar tree will be replanted to first. Dig the whole twice as wide as you think the root ball will be. Do not dig any deeper though as this can cause rot. Make sure you dig the new whole in an area that will comply with the needs of your particular type of cedar.
Step 2

Dig up the tree in the early spring when the tree is dormant. Start digging farther out from the tree to carefully get a feel for where most of the root ball is located. Be prepared to loose a lot of your tree's vital roots. Whatever roots you do have to cut make sure you make a clean cut. Try to keep as much of the root ball and dirt together as possible.
Step 3

Work the soil thoroughly before replanting the tree in the new whole and make sure the soil is somewhat acidic. Consider putting down peat moss in the hole but make sure there is enough room for the root ball.
Step 4

Place the tree in the center of the hole and pack the dirt on top. Do not break up the root ball. The bigger the tree the longer the recovery period. The recovery may take as long as a year for every inch of tree diameter.
Step 5

Mulch the area around the tree to help it collect and retain water. Continue to water often, especially through the first summer. Do not prune the tree for the first year or few years except for broken branches and structural reasons.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #326539 Aug 1st, 2010 at 02:55 PM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
E*How has steered me wrong a couple of times. I don't use them as a source anymore.

Good luck with your cedar. I've only transplanted little tiny ones and even then I've only had success one time out of three.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #326959 Aug 5th, 2010 at 02:08 PM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Hi Tammy, I am sorry about your experience with E*How .I understand that the contributors there are [were] gardeners just like us. The transplanting procedures above were similar to the ones I learned when I took a master gardening class many years ago.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #327015 Aug 6th, 2010 at 04:25 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Hey Papito good to read your posts.

You I would trust with any question I could come up with. I guess I'm just old and paranoid.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,859
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image