Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9749 Mar 31st, 2007 at 09:46 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Check out what my mom bought me today at Walmart, how cool is this? For about $6 you get this kit--to grow a hardy lily. She got it as a little early Easter present for me! Can't wait to get it going out in the pond, I sure hope it grows as pretty as the picture on the front!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#9757 Mar 31st, 2007 at 10:49 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
They're just in a little plastic case, next time you go you should ask them! :thum:

#9837 Mar 31st, 2007 at 01:50 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
I've seen them at ours.most are gone.I wanted red so not got yet...but looking still

[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]

I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!
njoynit #9897 Mar 31st, 2007 at 03:02 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Ooooooooooooooh loz - I'm sooooooooo glad you posted this, this morning before I went out to WalMart!!! I had a bunch of things to return, and then went straight to the plant department, where I found a small display of these hardy lilies with most still there, so I had my pick of the litter!

Of course I had to get almost 1 of each color!!! :clps: :thum: That price is excellent compared to other places I've been looking! I got 2 of the ones on the outside in the picture, because I really liked the color. I also made sure to open each top and check that the plants were healthy - I only bought ones that I could see were starting to grow already - I'm setting them up on a plant stand in this room in front of a south facing window, and am going to water them to give them a headstart, since I can't put them out until May at the earliest. It says on the container that they are hardy down to -30 as long as the water does not freeze at the plant line! I'm hoping that this is actually true - one can never tell with plants that are a bargain, you know? :duhh:

[Linked Image]

uh oh... I've been researching these plants and am now wondering it I got too many??? :duhh:

Last edited by plants 'n pots; Mar 31st, 2007 at 04:27 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #10131 Mar 31st, 2007 at 06:20 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Oooo, Lynne.....that's so cool you got all of those! :shotz: :clps:

It says on the container that they are hardy down to -30 as long as the water does not freeze at the plant line!

I was trying to figure that out, because if it's -30 then wouldn't the water be frozen at the plant line anyway??

What's the best way to care for them in the winter do you think?

And they are a great price I think! Way to go on getting all of those!

Last edited by loz; Mar 31st, 2007 at 06:21 PM.
#10183 Mar 31st, 2007 at 07:02 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
loz - help!!!!!!!

The containers say you can plant them in the pond anywhere from 24 inches to 60 inches, but when I found 3 of the 4 different varieties online, they all said to plant only at 24 inches. Also... the container says to "take inner mesh bag containing water lily out of packaging, and place bag into pond." Well... when I removed the mesh bag from the plastic container, to get the plastic bag off of it, the tubers were not INSIDE the mesh, but mearly place in the middle of them!!! So, how are they supposed to stay INSIDE the mesh when they are submerged into the pond???

I think I'm going to have to look for some of those pots that are used for pond plants - I have no idea where to find them, or how expensive they are? But I do know that the very expensive yet very very nice ponding store near me has one of the ones I got today in their catalogue for...$36!!!!!!! I'm sure it must be an older, larger plant, but still! They say in the catalogue to plant them in top soil (?), and place them with 6-24 inches of water over the top of the pot - hmmmmmmm...

oh - I think when they say plant line, they mean the bulb or tuber in the pot - not where the leaves are floating on the surface - those, of course will die back.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #10276 Mar 31st, 2007 at 08:03 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Lynne, what are the names of your water lilies? Mine is attraction and on brecks it says you can plant in 4-36 inches. Is your new pond going to have shelving around the sides that you could set the bottom part down on to?

I haven't opened mine yet to look at it....I guess we will be figuring this out together huh? lol

#10321 Mar 31st, 2007 at 08:44 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
It'll be fun doing this together, loz!

The ones I got are:

2 Fabiola - pink
1 Colorado - salmon - wish I had gotten 2 of that one - the pictures online are gorgeous!!!
1 sulphurea - yellow
1 James Brydon - dark pink

The pond will definitely have shelves - probably only on 2 sides though - the front is not strong enough for them, and the back will have the waterfall.

Are you going to dig out a bigger pond this summer?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #10488 Apr 1st, 2007 at 07:36 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Well I was hoping to, it all comes down to money though...things have been super tight! boohoo If we can't do it this year I guess I'll have to be patient and think of next year.

You got such a nice selection! :thum:

#10574 Apr 1st, 2007 at 10:27 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
OK - I told loz in a PM, NOT to uncover her water lily!
Apparently they do not like to be exposed to the air, and all of mine started to dry out BIG time overnight last night. I ran them back to WalMart this morning nooo, and got 3 new ones :thum: - I'm disappointed that there wasn't another one of the one I liked the best after seeing pictures online, but at least I was able to get 3 new ones. :clps:

I also bought a deep, large plastic container tub to put them into. I had also read that the plants should not get below 75 degrees while actively growing, or it could compromise the blooms for that season. I do not have an area in this house that gets that warm - ever! - so I'm putting it into Brian's bedroom and hoping for the best.

I also had Don cut a piece of old screening to tape over the top, so our ever-so-inquisitive and thirsty cats do not bother the plants! I'll assemble it all in a little while and post a picture afterwards.

Lesson learned -
do not allow your water lilys to be exposed to the air and dry out!!! :thnk: rolz

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #10773 Apr 1st, 2007 at 02:54 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
This seems like quite an adventure.... :thum:

I sure hope they all grow well! Fingers crossed! :thum:

#10779 Apr 1st, 2007 at 03:14 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks loz - I hope yours grows well too! I wish I could put mine outside earlier like you can...

Here are the plants in the tub filled with water:

[Linked Image]

And with the screening taped down on the sides over the tub:
[Linked Image]

Now we wait and see...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #10862 Apr 1st, 2007 at 05:07 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
That looks really good Lynne, I'm going to do that to mine too tomorrow. :thum:

And our really nice weather is turning yucky---high of 28 one day this week and dare I say it? SNOW flurries! boohoo

#11127 Apr 1st, 2007 at 07:43 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
hey ya'll, i bought the yellow one the other day....i plunked mine right in the bottom of the pond and it already is sending up one shoot. that was just 3 days ago. i kind of corked screwed mine down in the middle of the mesh and it has not floated out of it yet. once it gets going, the roots should hold it in. the one in my other pond is about 2 years old. no special treatment and not sure if i even do it right......again, plunked it to the bottom, it does fine, then in fall i whack it down to the basket. they don't seem to be that picky. good luck with yours!

OUR HOME NEEDS OUR GNOME!
faerywatcher #11130 Apr 1st, 2007 at 07:47 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
oh, just a little note, if you keep them in anything other than a plant pot with NO holes (to contain the roots), the roots will spread out EVERYWHERE in the bottom of the pond, twisting their way under gravel and all! this is my mom's hard lesson learned. trying to clean the sludge build-up of the bottom last year, she liked to have never got the roots untangled from the gravel!

faerywatcher #11136 Apr 1st, 2007 at 07:53 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
hmmmm - interesting Wendy! So, the pot you put it in has no holes? How large a pot are we talking and what material - plastic? Did you keep it in the small pot it came it? I can't imagine it growing very well being cramped in that small pot?

oh... how deep is your pond? Mine is going to be rather large, and I don't think I'll be able to see the pot once I sink it into the pond.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #11174 Apr 1st, 2007 at 08:44 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
both my ponds are 2 ft, deep. the first one with the 2 year old lily came in a plant basket.....small, square, with small holes in it. i still have it it there, but when i cut it back last fall, i picked the whole thing up out of the water to displace some of the roots. i did not want it to get like mom's was. mom was going to put her's in some type of pot to keep it some what root bound. she also has small ponds. i guess it really doesn't matter, the only thing is if you ever want to do anything to the plant where you have to pick the whole thing up, if the roots are left to "go where they may", it really mucks up the water and keeps debris in it. if your pond is going to be on the bigger side, it shouldnt matter. in mine, the river pebbles i have in the bottom of the pond was getting tangled in the roots.

plants 'n pots #11182 Apr 1st, 2007 at 09:19 PM
2k Posts
2k Posts
Hey guys! Great deal on the lilies. :thum:

You don't have to worry about how deep they are planted half as much as how far they spread.

medium to large spreading (4+ feet spread but can be upwards to 12 feet)
Attraction
Colorado
James Brydon

small to medium spreading (1 to 3+ feet spread)
Fabiola
Sulfurea (unless it is Sulfurea gigantica)

It is safe to say that as long as your ponds don't freeze solid the lilies will be fine.

If you want the lilies to thrive, plant them in dirt and a bigger pot. Lilies don't need deep pots they need wide pots. The tubers grow on the surface of the soil not under it. Use pots with no holes. I use (plastic) cat litter pans or oil drip pans. Don't use dirt that has peat moss in it, it makes a mess when it floats. boohoo They need fertilizer too. If you can find pond tabs they are easy to use. This year I was going to try osmocote for mine.

Loz- I hope everything works out for you to get the bigger pond.

Gardencrazy #11511 Apr 2nd, 2007 at 08:12 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Thanks for the great info, Gardencrazy - Donna?

Just a quickie update on the plants - they look really good in the water - even look as though they've perked up and might be starting to grow already. I'll post another picture as soon as I see some growth.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #11529 Apr 2nd, 2007 at 08:19 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I use (plastic) cat litter pans or oil drip pans. Don't use dirt that has peat moss in it, it makes a mess when it floats. They need fertilizer too. If you can find pond tabs they are easy to use. This year I was going to try osmocote for mine.

Great tips Donna, I will have to get a litter pan today while I'm out! :thum:

Looking forward to pics Lynne!

#11719 Apr 2nd, 2007 at 10:07 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
Originally Posted by plants 'n pots
Thanks for the great info, Gardencrazy - Donna?
Yep I am Donna flwr grin

Great tips Donna, I will have to get a litter pan today while I'm out!

Loz- I get the small pans not the real big ones. :thum:

Gardencrazy #11774 Apr 2nd, 2007 at 10:34 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Donna you are like a pond expert, you really hooked me up last year with the plants....I think it was Anacharis you sent me last year...well I tried to put it in my fishtank to keep some for this year and my stupid goldfish ate the whole thing....all of it! rspb :nutz:

Small pan....right! Gonna get one! :thum: :kisy:

#14319 Apr 4th, 2007 at 11:05 AM
2k Posts
2k Posts
Originally Posted by loz
Donna you are like a pond expert, you really hooked me up last year with the plants....I think it was Anacharis you sent me last year...well I tried to put it in my fishtank to keep some for this year and my stupid goldfish ate the whole thing....all of it! rspb :nutz:

I sure wish I was an expert Loz. uhuhh I just like watergardening a lot. zoink

Are you needing some more anacharis? It will be around May before it starts to reproduce well. I can send ya some then if ya like.

Donna flwr

Gardencrazy #14565 Apr 4th, 2007 at 05:23 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Ooooo yes please! The baby mosquito really loved that because they could hide in it and not get eaten! thumbup

Heck, you know a lot more about ponds than I do, that makes you an expert to me! shots

#15778 Apr 6th, 2007 at 10:42 AM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Here's an update on how my water lilies are doing in the tub today.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The leaves that had started growing before I bought them are a little tattered on the edges, but the new ones look pretty good I think.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #17109 Apr 8th, 2007 at 04:26 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Cool Lynne, yours are doing pretty good so far!

I just now stuck mine in a container and took a few pics...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#17201 Apr 8th, 2007 at 07:36 PM
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
Jiffymouse
Unregistered
i was noticing that my waterlily was sending up leaves. it is doing much better this year, it didn't do anything last year at all :(

#18021 Apr 9th, 2007 at 05:45 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Jiffy - hope you get lots of flowers this time!

loz - I just had to buy one of the mini cattails while I was in WalMart today - stuck it in the tub with the others - but boy is that water icy cold!!! I hope it doesn't stop the plants from flowering this year!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #18065 Apr 9th, 2007 at 06:34 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I hope you do too Jiffy!

Cool Lynne, I'm glad you got one too---I was wondering(don't laugh)...would it stay warmer if there were a covering of saran wrap across the top for a bit?

I put my container in front of a window, but it's been so cold here lately.

plants 'n pots #25925 Apr 18th, 2007 at 01:07 PM
I finally made it to walmart to get a water lily. They also had minature cattails in the same packaging. I bought one of those too.

Sherri
sbreland #26113 Apr 18th, 2007 at 07:19 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
QUESTION? has anybody plopped their waterlily in the pond yet??????? i am having trouble with my pond turning orange. YES, ORANGE! a few weeks ago, i thought the dog threw up in it, (one of those chewy dog bones did not set well). so i drained it and now it did it again! so today, i drained it AGAIN! now i think that fiber in the mesh is to blame. i took it apart as the pond was filling up and planted it in something else.

your thoughts please?!?!? thank goodness i have no fish in this one yet!

faerywatcher #26714 Apr 19th, 2007 at 11:06 AM
I put my waterlily and a minature cattail plant in. It was the ones from walmart in the mesh bag. My lily is starting to grow, but my water is ok, and my fish are fine. Do you use well water? Sometimes it can be orange from rust. I will continue to watch my water plants.

Sherri
sbreland #26773 Apr 19th, 2007 at 12:50 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Wendy - I won't be able to put my plants outside here for another month - our last frost date is May 15th here. But I doubt they'll be able to go out even then, as my husband needs to shape the pond first, and get the filter, pump, waterfall and everything up and running first! I just wish that WalMart didn't sell these things soooo early in the season - they should know better - that we can't plant until mid-May! I grabbed them because the price was soooo great! I saw the exact same plants for sale at a petstore here just this week, for $2 more apiece!

Here are mine today - the lilies are growing so much, that some of the leaves are actually out of the water in the tub - HELP!!! I cannot get a larger tub - I just hope they don't dry out, not being in the water anymore!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #26803 Apr 19th, 2007 at 01:38 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Wow Lynne! Mine is nowhere near that big---it's just starting to send shoots of leaves out of the base.

The cattails are growing a bit too.......

I don't know what to tell you about a bigger place to put them......unless you put them each in a storage thing so they have more room to spread there leaves out on the surface?

I'd help ya out if I could...when we moved we bought literally about 40 storage containers and we have a ton empty in the basement.

#27490 Apr 20th, 2007 at 10:41 AM
I went back to walmart yesterday and got an iris (same brand as waterlilies) all have been marked down to 4.50. but when I went in to look for a hanging basket, I found the boxes of water plants (3 to a box) marked down to 7.00 a box. They included 2 waterlilies and 1 minature cattail. The boxes were located on the bottom shelf where the different potting soils and jiffy pellets were located. Ya'll may want to check your stores.

Sherri
sbreland #27895 Apr 20th, 2007 at 07:43 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
Originally Posted by sbreland
I put my waterlily and a minature cattail plant in. It was the ones from walmart in the mesh bag. My lily is starting to grow, but my water is ok, and my fish are fine. Do you use well water? Sometimes it can be orange from rust. I will continue to watch my water plants.

no we dont have well water, but that was my only theory on mmy orange water. we will see id it does it agsin.

faerywatcher #27949 Apr 20th, 2007 at 08:22 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Sherri - my tiny WalMart NEVER marks anything down!
I saw a couple of those boxes with 3 in them a few weeks ago, but they are probably gone by now. I only paid $4.99 for the water lilies - how much were yours before they got marked down to $4.50?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
plants 'n pots #29356 Apr 23rd, 2007 at 12:40 PM
5.44, so that wasn't much of a markdown. But maybe if mine are already marked down (because of warmer weather here), maybe yours will be before long.

Sherri
faerywatcher #30360 Apr 24th, 2007 at 08:41 PM
Twinkle
3k Posts
Twinkle
3k Posts
Originally Posted by faerywatcher
Originally Posted by sbreland

no we dont have well water, but that was my only theory on mmy orange water. we will see id it does it agsin.

gee, i was just checking this thread and noticed my spelling----you can always tell when i take my ambien then type!

sorry!

faerywatcher #32608 Apr 27th, 2007 at 02:28 PM
Purl One
30k Posts
Purl One
30k Posts
Ok - so are these going to make it until I can get them out in about a month or so?
They are getting so long and leggy, and are actually growing out of the water!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,871
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image