Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Jaes Offline OP
OP Offline
First, I am new to gardening. ---Last year, I transplanted a bell pepper plant into a large patio pot--- the yeild was great. This year, I used the pot for tomatoes--- and I transplanted two bell peppers into two "topsy turvey" containers. The patio location of the bell peppers is the same sunny location as last year-- the type of bell peppers is the same as last year, BUT, the yeild is dramatically different. Last year, at this time, I had 3 to 5 bell peppers forming on the one plant. This year, I have only one lone pepper hanging from each of the two plants that I used the topsy turvy---there are not blossoms--no other peppers forming---Just one lone pepper on each plant. Is there something I can do to stimulate the pepper plant? Or, despite what the topsy turvy company indicates, maybe one can not grow a pepper plant via the topsey turvy method and expect a high yeild (that's the obvious answer). ---Any answers or advice would be most appriciated. ---Jaes

Jaes
Northern Star
30k Posts
Online Crazy
Northern Star
30k Posts
I really have no great advice for you but I planted two tomatoes in upside down planters and was very disappointed as well. They done so poorly that I just threw out the plants..

Have you fertilized it? Next year I plan to try it again but I will be buying a good fertilized growing mix instead of potting soil.

~~Tam~ You can bury all your troubles by digging in the dirt.
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
[Linked Image from agardenersforum.com]
Patriot
10k Posts
Patriot
10k Posts
Could the weather be a factor? Heat, sun, rain. Where I live it got so hot so fast my garden has been a little off. Water requirements may have been different from last year.

I to, planted tomatoes in a topsy turvy thing last year and didn't have very good results. I didn't do it again this year.

Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
If there are blossoms, spray the blossoms and the leaves with Epsom salts spray. Dissolve one teaspoon of Epsom salt in 32-oz lukewarm water and fill a spray bottle. Cool the solution before using. Repeat application in 10-14 days.
Avoid giving a lot of fertilizer, but if you have to, feed at half strength.

My tomatoes and peppers are not doing good either because of the heat [90+ F] the last few weeks.

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
This might help in sort of way.

I have hanging baskets on the end of my deck. During the HOT days they wilt from the heat. Water them so much to keep them healthy and moist and they get too much water. Put them down on the deck and there fine.

Point is maybe the elevation of the plant itself is to dramatic for it to be happy.
Being up in the air there's more heat and more surface to expose. Now with it being upside down the roots are taking the brunt of the heat and sun .
Trying to keep the root ball moist is going to be difficult for growth, dry heat flowers drop...no fruit.

I had this happen in my pepper potters they dryed out to easy and dropped flowers, 1 pepper on the plant. One potter away and it had 3 peppers on it ...little bit more shaded.

Maybe it's just location why Make sure your using good soil that has good water retention to help keep the roots moist when upside down.

You will be amazed how a few ft will make a difference in the growth of a plant, I watched it 1st hand this yr with my onions and peppers.

snow

Don't like the weather in Michigan?..wait 30 sec.
Jaes Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the helpful replys. --"snowfarmer," ---you might have something about the "roots" ---certainly, the roots in the topsy turvy are getting warmer---maybe hot? Last year, when I had the pepper plant in a large patio pot (I mean a LARGE), I do not believe the roots had a chance to get hot. ---Also, with the large pot, I had rocks on the bottom of the pot (under the soil for drainage) this may have allowed proper drainage---and, perhaps, stopped overwatering? ---with the topsy turvy, it's difficult for me to guage how much to water the plant---and certainly, with the topsy turvy system, there are no rocks to facilitate drainage. ---I was very surprised by the replies of others that found that the topsy turvy system didn't work for them. I guess that's what this forum is for ---learning. After this growing season, I believe I will dismantle the big rack that I built to hold 3 topsy turvey container (2 pepper plants and a cherry tomatoe plant)---next year I believe I'll just get additional large patio pots. ---Thanks again to everyone for the comments. ---Jaes.

Last edited by Jaes; Jul 22nd, 2010 at 06:46 PM.

Jaes

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in February
Gardening in March
Gardening in April

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,811
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,004
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image