Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#325027 Jul 18th, 2010 at 09:49 AM
OP Offline
Trying to figure out what to do with my used soil from my containers after harvest. I used pure top soil for all my planters and want to save it for next yr so I won't need to buy as much new come spring .

After our 1st harvest of our spuds it seem to be a little dry... 100%top soil ,drains to much.

My idea is to add leaves/ peat/compost to give it more asorbentcy to retain water the next time .

My ? I guess is... should I just make a pile on the ground and tend with it in the fall with the leaves , or store the soil in containers till spring and then add the decomopsed leaves then?

Im looking at about 200lbs of top soil when all said and done . One of my conserns is contamination of the junk dirt on the ground and all the other stuff floating around , not to mention the run off factor too from the top soil being so light and fine.

I was going to turn it all in with the clay junk we have here to bring that to a better soil but we decided to go with more containers rather then planting right in the ground next yr.
Container growing is so much nicer when trying to utilize space and keeping pest out....+ plus it's fun moving things around during growing season....kinda like re-arranging your living rm haha

My latest thought is to start filling a garbage can up and keep it covered and add compost goodies to it till it's full .

What would you suggest ..?

Snow

Don't like the weather in Michigan?..wait 30 sec.
snowfarmer #325031 Jul 18th, 2010 at 10:58 AM
California Queen
30k Posts
California Queen
30k Posts
A trash can is hard to 'turn' and to compost your leaves and things it needs air, moisture and turning to decompose nicely. You are a decent carpenter. Use some junk boards or pallets to make your self a bin. Actually side-by-side bins are easier to work with. Store your soil in black plastic trash bags in one side. And then when you have some gleanings, begin layering it with your waste and leaves in the other side.I know this will use valuable space and your space is premium. But if you can find it, you will not be sorry.
Your used soil can harbor some pretty nasty things that can infect next year's growing. In a composting situation it heats enough to kill off most of those problems. If you cannot find the space for the bins, then my suggestion would be the black plastic alone and not to mix the soil with anything else. It may heat enough to clean up its act then.

~Tina
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Drama Free Zone.
What every gardener loves the most, Begins and ends in rich compost. (Tina)
Tina #325092 Jul 19th, 2010 at 05:10 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
without "Greens" in your compost it will not heat. Fall leaves are a "Brown" and will not heat your compost. The best mixture to heat your compost pile is 50% "greens" and 50% "browns". "greens" include fresh manure from cows or chickens, and grass clippings just to name a few.

But heat will not kill bad diseases in the soil so if you have soil that is diseased don't add it to your compost.

Now if you just want to rejuvinate soil that you have used then go ahead and add it to your compost.

Different plants like different types of soil. For example tomatoes like a 50% compost 50% garden soil mix. But that's with the assumption that your garden soil is a mixture of 30% sand, 30% clay, and 30% humus. (NOTE: never mix sand and clay together you will end up with low grade cement.) Add humus (bio matter) to the clay and once you have a good mix there you can add the sand.

I hope you aren't totally confused.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #325098 Jul 19th, 2010 at 07:48 AM
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
Mister Mystery
1k Posts
200 pounds of soil will fit in 2-32 gal trash bags or 2-32gal trash cans with covers. Whichever you use, protect the soil from rain or snow. Before using the soil for planting next spring, spread the soil on a tarp to let the sun warm it up. Turn the soil over a few times to aerate the soil. You can also amend the soil at the same time, mix well to blend the old soil with the amendment[s]. When done, make a pile at the center and pull in the four corners of the tarp to cover the soil [so it won't dry up] until you are ready to use it.

Add this info to the one's posted by Tina and tkhooper.
Composting Tips.

See also
Lasagna Gardening 101

How to build a lasagna garden

[Linked Image]

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
papito #325099 Jul 19th, 2010 at 08:08 AM
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
Official Taste Tester
10k Posts
That explains why I couldn't move a half full of dirt trash can.

[Linked Image]
tkhooper #325103 Jul 19th, 2010 at 08:55 AM
OP Offline
Hmm not sure which Im going to do yet , bags would be nice cause I could limit the amount due to the wt factors of lifting , but worried about them ripping open over time.
I have 2 extra cans and I think that would be best to store with less mess...hmm I'll have to think about this one.

I would build a bin or two but space is a factor , maybe one for mixing and composting of this yrs leaves

I have another ?
My in-laws live up north in the woods ..lots of decomposed (oak,maple) leaves over the yrs .
Thinking the next time I go up is to grab a few bags/totes of it and let that sit in the bags till spring then add it to the soil when spring prep arrives.
Leaving it in the bags till spring should kill anything thats in there no?

Then start a new pile with this yrs leaves for next summers composting.

I tried a little compost pile this spring , but with clay for dirt, limited greens and not enough browns it didnt do well. This yrs leaves would give me a good start for next yrs pile to get it going.

We will be putting a few things in the ground next yr so some of the leaves will get turned into those areas this fall.

snow

Don't like the weather in Michigan?..wait 30 sec.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Seasonal Ticker
Gardening Links
Gardening in March
Gardening in April
Gardening in May

Shop at Amazon and Support AGF
Are you shopping online? Click this link first and A Gardeners Forum will receive a commission for your referral at Amazon.com (shopping through this link to Amazon will not have any impact on your prices at Amazon).
Like Us on Facebook
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics14,312
Posts240,875
Average Daily Posts3
Members16,007
Most Online10,356
Nov 2nd, 2019
Top Posters(30 Days)
Random Gallery Image